Fender '57 Custom Champ

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by jw3571, Oct 4, 2017.

1. jw3571

jw3571 Senior Member

Reading through another post on here, it sounds like this amp is a great little amp. I'm curious if people think it would be good for my situation. I'm a basement only player that's always looking for a great sounding bedroom amp that sounds good at lower volumes. I realize at 5 watts i'd never be able to crank it and get the natural distortion but i don't mind using a OD pedal. What are opinions on this?

2. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

To the contrary, the fact that it's only 5 watts is exactly why you can crank it and get natural distortion. It breaks up much easier than a higher-wattage amp with a larger speaker. It also won't rattle the windows like a bigger amp, even dimed. I don't have any experience with the reissues, but my Tweed Champ starts to break up around noon (earlier if I really dig in) and by the time it's dimed it's got all the tube distortion you could ever want for rock. Zero pedals required.

lung plunger likes this.
  3. jw3571

jw3571 Senior Member

Thanks for the response. What I meant was 5 watts is still really damn loud. I can only turn my 1 watt Marshall SL5 up halfway before the wife is screaming, which is why i'd assume i'd need an OD pedal

4. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

I had a one-watt Marshall JMP-1, and it was definitely louder than my Champ. Not sure why. Other than the slightly smaller speaker, nothing else could explain it. But I also live in big-time fear of the noise police (wife hates it, plus we have three small children), and the Champ just isn't one of those classically loud amps.

5. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Duane_the_tub likes this.
  6. tigger

tigger Senior Member

Make sure you pick inefficient speakers, there can easily be a 3dB difference in the same size.

lung plunger and Duane_the_tub like this.
  7. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Even turned down, amp at 6 and guitar at 4 or 5, my tweed Champ sounds so nice you won't even miss the distortion and volume is very manageable.

Duane_the_tub likes this.
  8. scozz

scozz Senior Member

I would think a 1 watt tube Marshall would be louder than a 5 watt Champ.

Back in the day when I was gigging, the other guitarist in the band played thru a 50 watt Marshall head. That amp blew away my Fender combo...btw...my combo was a 100 watt Fender Super Six Reverb, the Six in the name referred to the 6-10" speakers in the combo! :eek2:

That thing was a behemoth!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  9. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Never heard of that amp so I looked it up. What year was yours? Did it have a tube or solid state rectifier? I ask because the “100 watts RMS” on the back might indicate the speaker rating. The amps were reported to be 45 watts with tube rectifiers and 70 watts after they switched to solid state rectification in 1977. It’s possible that your friend”s amp was much louder because his speakers were more efficient then your Jensens.

10. scozz

scozz Senior Member

We're talking about over 40 years ago! I traded a 50 watt Univox head double stack with 2-12" speakers in each cab, and some cash for it. It was brand new. It was all tube and it was listed at 100 watts rms. I'd say it was either a 1972 or 73.

I had a 69 Nova, (my first car) and I had to stuff in in the back seat on it's side. It touched both back doors from the top of the amp to the bottom. It's came with removable casters on the side on the amp because it was such a TALL combo! :eek2:

It was a bit@h lugging that thing around!!

https://reverb.com/item/1694035-vintage-1972-fender-super-six-reverb-6x10

11. scozz

scozz Senior Member

12. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

The amp he's talking about is either 100 Watts or 135 Watts. It's not a Super Reverb, it's a Super Six Reverb.

http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/super_six_reverb_sf.html

The 1960s blackface Super Reverb is powered by a pair of 6L6GCs in fixed bias class AB, with a GZ34 recto, for a big 45 Watts into 4x10" speakers.

The 1970s Super Six Reverb is powered by a quad of 6L6GCs in fixed bias class ABS, with a solid state recto for 100 Watts into 6x10" speakers. Freddie King used one for a while.

13. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Damn, 100 watts?