Fen "greasebucket" tone control in LP

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by sapi, Jul 17, 2007.

1. sapi

sapi Senior Member

Has anyone tried this tone control in a Gibby? What are your impressions? It uses 0.02uF, 0.1uF caps and a 4.7k resistor. I installed it using Hovland caps, a tantalum resistor on a 500k audio tone pot.
    I like the way it sounds, no mud at all and i think the mids are more there, the bass is clearer all the way and the treble rolls off evenly. The effect is more subtle. With the bridge pu tone all the way down i can get a really nice "woman" tone and vowel-like feel. I'm using Gibson Classic '57 & Classic '57 plus pu's (tbc). Overall, i feel it's a very useable, musical tone control.

2. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

Do you have a link ?

3. sapi

sapi Senior Member

Sorry, no soundclips Flick. It's real simple though. The hot wire from the vol goes to the upper tone pot tag, the 0.1uF cap across that tag and middle tag, and 0.02uF + 4.7k in series from the lower tag to ground.
    Obviously on a Gib it's x2. I used Hovland Musicaps 1000v, quite large, but everything fit! I didn't care much for cosmetics, after all all's inside. I have the circuit on my Fender HWY1 strat too as master tone w orange drop 225P's, really nice.