Feedback problem

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by IronWeso, Jan 29, 2009.

1. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

So I've been having an annoying feedback problem lately with my Epi Les Paul Custom. I just bought a new cable so thats not the problem. Pretty sure its my input jack. Its not apparent til I turn up my amp. When I position my guitar in various ways it gets worse or better. I've messed with my input jack before. Its tight. I've even bent the metal thing forward a little so it plugs in solid. What can I do? Got a show friday... don't wanna rely on using my volume pedal to cut sound in the middle of songs and such...

2. Sinmastah

Sinmastah Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

Bad Amp? I can pick up radio signals if I use a bad amp. Sounds like the same thing since you move your guitar in different angles.

3. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

Nah, not the case. Just got this amp, completely different than my last, had the same problem with my old one.

4. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

I dont' know if this will help too much, but it doesn't cost anything, and you can try it...

Stuff the pickup cavities in your guitar with some plastic or paper so the pickups do not move at all (or cannot be moved unless you manually touch them.) One of the reasons a solid body electric guitar was invented in the first place was to reduce issues with feedback, and hollow bodies feed back because the top of the guitar is vibrating along with the strings.

So even with the strings...if your pickups are loose inside of their cavities, it may lead to some issues with feedback.

I don't know if this will fix your feedback problem, but as aforementioned....it probably wouldn't cost anything at all to try it.

(and sure, if I need to be flamed for this, it's all good. But I'm just passing along something I heard from someone else....)

5. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

Do you get the feedback on both pickups, or just one? I know the neck pickup on my Custom will get a little microphonic if i get too close to the amp - but my bridge pickup is fine.

- D

6. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

Ha yea, no cost and time saving. I'll try it out tomorrow, my roommate is sleeping haha.

7. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

Both, but I think its louder when I switch to my neck pickup.

8. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

Could be that your pickups are badly potted. How old is the guitar?

- D

9. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

2004 model I believe.

10. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

Hm. Pretty new for the potting to go bad.

Mine's an '89, and the cover on my neck pickup lifts right off. I attribute the howling to that. :)

Hope you figure it out. Sentry's idea sounds like a good one. good luck.

- D

11. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

The only other thing I could add....

If you play with a lot of crunch, you might be overloading the pickups. (I've even seen this with Gibsons used by metal players that were equipped with stock PAF pickups or most of the other boutique passive models.) If that's the case, you may want to invest in some active pickups down the road...

12. Akahito

Akahito Senior Member

So er, lemme get this straight: You get _Feedback_ from moving the guitar around with the amp turned up, even if the strings are not vibrating? :shock: As in you get that howling/screaming noise you would when you hold a note and put the guitar close to the speaker? Or are you just talking about noise/buzz?

13. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

Howling/screaming when I'm not even playing.

14. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

Sentry makes a second good suggestion. Maybe your gain is too high, try backing it off a bit. If you've got solos to do, put a pedal in front of the amp anf hit it when it's time to do a solo.

Unless you've got absolutely crummy wiring, there's no reason for your guitar to sit there and feed back constantly.

- D

15. slowhand0461

slowhand0461 Senior Member

Ok ....this hasn't been asked....i don't think it has anyway.....What kind of amp,what volume are you playing it at,how close are you to the amp and what are you setting your gain at?

I think with this information "we" can figure out your little problem..:hmm:

16. Akahito

Akahito Senior Member

Volume turned down from the guitar? Then it's not very likely feedback. It's something else. Check your pedals, your amp settings (too much gain?) and try it with another guitar to see if the problem persists. My friend's Z.Vex Fuzz Factory used to cause insane howl and scream with zero acoustic feedback from the guitar. IIRC it was fixed with a change of all cables (we picked George L's for price/quality ratio) and a new power supply unit (Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2).

17. overdriver

overdriver Banned

Your pup is microphonic as simple as that. Even new pups that are double vacumm waxed can be. Either have it potted again, buy a new pup or turn the gain down and or move farther away from the amp. Stepping on a pedal (OD)will in most cases cause the squeeling (microphonic feedback) to kick in just as having the amps gain up. So ya got to fix the pup or move far enough away with the one you have.

18. Akahito

Akahito Senior Member

^-- What he said.

19. slowhand0461

slowhand0461 Senior Member

Driver..that being said:thumb:....my bandmates Les Paul squeals like a pig thru his amp(he turns All,even his pedals, gains to 10)and he fusses about it..Plug his guitar into any of mine.....nothing unless you want it...I'd be willing to bet the amp gain is way higher that it needs to be and is most likely dimed....cut it back to say 1:00 or 2:00...problem solved and you end up with a smoother overdrive:applause:

20. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

I had a feeling my gain being up high would be the problem. I have a 21 foot cable, so I'm far enough away. Just sucks cause I love my tone, play metal, and don't wanna back off a whole lot. I could replace the pups but that would be rather expensive.