Feedback on Limited Edition Koa

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by BlackEyedKat, May 17, 2018.

1. BlackEyedKat

BlackEyedKat Junior Member

2. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I have no experience with this and didn’t even know it existed.....till now. That’s a beautiful guitar,though!

frozenotter and JonCanfield like this.

3. JonCanfield

JonCanfield Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Glad I can't afford it. I'm a koa fanatic, this would be hard to pass up if it was in my price range!

bulletproof likes this.

4. ToneasaurusRex

ToneasaurusRex Silver Supporter

Did you search the forum via Google? Not trying to be snarky, just asking. My very quick research shows that many MLP members express admiration for these guitars, but I only found two members who have posted koa NGD threads in the past couple of years.

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/ngd-2014-les-paul-custom-with-koa-top.338313/

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/ngd-holy-koa-batman.250043/

My own take on it is that koa is going to be HIGHLY variable, at least in appearance. Color (hue and shade), figure, grain . . . often are quite variable, especially in the lumber that's still left.

In my humble opinion, koa these days also differs in hardness and in tone. I'd buy an alder Stratocaster from the web, but koa? I'd at least want to see pics of the actual guitar I was considering.

bulletproof and JonCanfield like this.

5. mudface

mudface Senior Member

It has a Koa top which is similar to mahogany in grain and hardness,... they seem to be similar to all Mahogany constructed Les Pauls with a warm tone. I used to own a Carvin DC200 solid Koa body electric,.. the pickups were so bad i swapped them for SD59s. The tone was warm and fat after that. The neck was so thin it had no play time on it,.. so i gave it away. I would say it's very similar to Mahogany or Korina.

bulletproof and JonCanfield like this.

6. BlackEyedKat

BlackEyedKat Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I did try to read all the posts that I could find about Koa LPs, but I wasn't sure that I was comparing apples to apples. As I said, maybe it's just a gimmick with there only being 150 units, but it left me with a bit of a head-scratcher about how to figure out what posts about Koa guitars would be applicable. In any case, I take your point that it's probably hard to know what to expect without seeing and playing one. If I manage to find one in person, I'll follow up here.

Thanks!

ToneasaurusRex likes this.