Fear and loathing at the UPS store (possibly attempted rape)

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Leddyman, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Leddyman

Leddyman Senior Member

So, I went to the UPS store today in Macon, Ga. to ship a Les Paul. Everyone said that if you use their packing service they guarantee to pay if the guitar is damaged. I went in and they were pretty busy, after waiting a few minutes I got a guy and told him what I wanted to do. No problem...He took my guitar in the back and started packing it. First he wrapped it all in bubble wrap and then he went and got a box. A box that was at least 3X too big for the job at hand. To make it worse it was 2 boxes put together. All of this takes maybe 45 minutes. I'll never get that back. He finally comes back out with this monstrosity and heaves it up on the scale. I already know I'm not shipping this abortion anywhere but I'm curious by now as to how much he thinks this masterpiece is worth to ship. So I give him the address and wait while he types in all these dimensions and whatnot. He finally looks at me with a kind of embarrassed grin and says $365.00. I just laughed and said no!
    I'm not shipping a refrigerator (which would have fit in this box). I asked if he wanted his box back because I'm not paying for any of this stuff, he said no that's fine so I left. I took pictures. This is UPS's idea of fragile packing fpr a guitar to go from Georgia to Washington state. I couldn't resist on my way out I said "I wanted to insure it against damage not insure it would get damaged". So check out this masterpiece of professional packing from UPS. Note that it is 2 boxes taped together and that is a full sized wing back chair next to it. Pay no attention to my wife's cracker barrel decoration and the laundry waiting to be folded:)

[​IMG]

You won't believe it but this is all that was inside the box and he expected me to send this to Washington.

[​IMG]

2. Leddyman

Leddyman Senior Member

You can't make this stuff up. Off to the FedEx store tomorrow with a proper box that I got while I was in Macon. Packed by me... I knows hows its supposed to bees done.

wulfman, DizzyOrchard and HeartString like this.
  3. swampblues

swampblues Senior Member

lol I have received a few from them and you are right you can't make this crap up

4. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

5. free713

free713 Senior Member

Silly, silly, silly

6. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member

You know what they say...

If you want something done right, overpay an entry-level service employee with no experience in the matter to do it for you.

....oh, wait. No, that's not how the saying goes, actually.

7. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I'm lucky. My local UPS franchise is owned by a great owner/operator couple. Everything they do for me is always spot on, done with a smile and there's free little chocolate mints on the counter. :p

I can't put into words what happened to you! Goodness!

Your very legitimate beef is with the franchisee, not the chain.

LSAR and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  8. Who

Who I'm back. Back in the New York groove.

Was it full of popcorn, or just what you show?

9. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Senior Member

That's pretty much how FromJapan ship their guitars minus the polystyrene peanuts and a smaller box, but I've yet to receive one with any damage so far. I usually ship mine the way Rinkya package them bubble wrapped and then suspended in a sea of peanuts with a cardboard insert to ensure the neck remains in the middle of the box.

10. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

Call Guitar Center and ask if they have any guitar boxes that you could have.

I've gotten a couple from them they were throwing away. But I also told them I'd buy some stuff as well. Lol

northernguitarguy likes this.
  11. Stone76

Stone76 Senior Member

I guess that's how it must feel to have sex with Kim Kardashian...

12. Leddyman

Leddyman Senior Member

No. that was everything he put in the box.

13. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Senior Member

Hahaha. You could tell he thought it was a great idea from the beginning but after seeing how much one bag of packing pellets filled it, he was like "fuck it". Oh well, at least it's bubble-wrapped for you with almost enough packing pellets to fill up a more suitably sized box.

LSAR and Who like this.
  14. Who

Who I'm back. Back in the New York groove.

I learned the "108 inch rule" of boxing a guitar.

If the longest side, plus the circumference of the shorter sides adds up to over 118"...... you're going to pay at least double.

I shipped a V in the case, in a box. First estimate, $174.

I learned of the 108 rule, cut the box size down a smidge....poof! $70 to ship. Same weight. Almost the exact size same box.

52x21x9=112" went to 52x19x7=104"
    Saved $100.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    o0mobius0o, mgenet, Matt_21 and 3 others like this.
  15. LSAR

LSAR Premium Member

That's atrocious. I've only shipped one guitar, I got creative to support the neck in a box I got from my local chain. I employed a Pringles tube for its full value. That's far worse.
    On a good day.

16. currypowder

currypowder Senior Member

Every guitar I've received from From Japan has been extremely well packed. The air packets and bubble wrap they use fill the empty space and completely secure the guitar.

17. Mosster47

Mosster47 Senior Member

Order guitar boxes from U-line, package correctly, USPS Parcel Post. You can ship a guitar anywhere in America for under $50 with tracking and a signature receipt. I've sent a zillion guitars this way and have never had an issue.

mgenet and scott 351 wins like this.
  18. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

Free shipping boxes are getting harder to come by. The local Sam Ash store put a fence around their trash and recycle bins and they keep it locked.

19. Mosster47

Mosster47 Senior Member

Another tale of UPS attempted rape:

I go to the UPS Store today. A strapping young lad on here from Finland ordered some tuners from me. I set down a 4" cube box. I ask for tracking. The lady says, "It's $141 for tracking all the way to point B." I chuckle and ask how much is the cheapest route? She replies "$126 to track it to customs, then it's on its own."

Of course I told her she was out of her mind and I picked up the box and walked off and she said something like "Good luck at the post office" in a pissed off voice.

15 minutes later it's on the way with tracking all the way from A to B for $23.50. UPS can kick rocks.

o0mobius0o likes this.
  20. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

I dislike UPS very much, I sell on Ebay and use USPS for all the items I sell. I've had almost no problems with the Post Office.