Favorite NPN PNP Transistors for FUZZ pedals?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by jonesy, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Wow, the others must have got in fast. Oh well, looking forward to hearing it, thanks.

2. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

Yeah they went fast. Remember I had originally offered up 3 of them, then added 3 more to the run. You actually bought the last Red Russian Fuzz that I had available. ;)

Mookakian likes this.
  3. jonesy

Yes I think there may be subtle tonal differences with different brands of batteries. I prefer the 9v Eveready Gold in the Germanium Fuzz pedals and the Energizer 9V in the Silicon Fuzz pedals. I use the Dollar store 9V batteries for testing and for powering up my prototypes and those $1.50 batteries actually sound great. All the 9v batteries I use are Alkaline PP3 ;)

4. jonesy

I have 2 double boxes ( blue splatter paint) Fuzz + Fuzz or Boost + Fuzz I am starting on as soon as I wrap up a couple of other projects I have going on.

5. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Very happy i got in there, a few guys here are eager to have a go after hearing the demo;)

I knew one would be rockin the floor with me, sixth sense i guess but i had no doubt once i had seen/heard it:thumb:

6. jonesy

Thanks again Mook, RR Fuzz #006 is in the mail and on the way to you. Hope you enjoy it :D

Mookakian likes this.
  7. jonesy

Latest Fuzz project: HYBRID Germanium/Silicon Fuzz with Bias and gain/contour controls. Built a prototype yesterday morning, hope to have a video uploaded soon.

Lot's of cool sounds out of just one Fuzz pedal. If you like to tweak knobs there are lot's of sweet spots you can dial in ranging from dark thick, smooth sustained Fuzz to more vintage, edgy, crackly type Fuzz. ;)

Parts List
    -------------------------------
    Q1 MP38A Germanium NPN Russian Transistor
    Q2 BC108 Silicon NPN Transistor
    Input cap .033 Russian PTEP
    Output/De-coupling cap .022 Russian PTEP
    Cap 9V+ power/ground 47 uf Electrolytic
    Clipping Diodes 1N4148 matched pair
    100K metal film fixed resistors
    100K Alpha Linear (+ 2.4K res.)Bias control wired up to C/9+ of Q2
    10K Alpha Linear (may add 390 ohm res.) Gain/Contour wired up to E/Ground of Q2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

guitar_slinger8 and Mookakian like this.
  8. jonesy

Blue Germanium Boost #002 that I built using a Russian T404B NP Transistor, circuit based off the Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster with a few tweaks here and there. Switch gives you 3 EQ settings, unity gain on this pedal is somewhere between 9-12 O'clock depending on how your amp is set.

Nice Boost for driving those tubes a little more and exciting the upper mid frequencies. When you need to cut through the mix, this boost is great and is very resposive when used with tube amps. Not a clean boost, adds a little grit and color. Wish I would have had this 20 years ago when I was playing clubs 2-3 nights a week. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. bp-plickner

bp-plickner Senior Member

The ge/si combo in a fuzz is a great sound. I like the Joe Gagan easy face design with 2 tone caps EZFacewBlendCap.
    I add an external bias pot for more flexibility and sockets for the transistors. This one has a TI CV7003 in Q1 and a ruskie in Q2.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's some noise from a previous build using a TI7003 and a Bell India AC128
    http://www.dogtone.net/Fuzz/Tunsram-AC128-FuzzMeConfusion-TI-cv7003.MP3
    It's a strat though not a Les Paul :shock:

Fuzz is good

jonesy likes this.
  10. guitar_slinger8

guitar_slinger8 Senior Member

I've actually been trying to build a rangemaster but seems like there something wrong I have no signal and when I turn the knob all I get is static scratches.

11. jonesy

PM me what value components you are using, and what the voltage readings are at B, C, and E then maybe I can help you get it sorted out.

Also the way the 10K pot is wired up to the Collector is kind of different, maybe you have a wire crossed there? :hmm:

12. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Ill be doing a bit of fuzz experimenting with a 2 stage circuit and was wondering if any of you guys could recommend a high gain transistor or two.

I have been working with some sample transistors i ordered off jonesy:thumb: and have been messing around with the voltage resistance at Q2 and also some different EQ settings by having the cap at the start of the circuit switchable with 3 settings.

What i really want to start playing with is saturation levels. I would like to create a fuzz that hits thick distortion with tight attack and little mud.

If anyone has any schematic advice, transistor recommendations or input on how to add saturation to a low/med gain transistor circuit id LOVE to hear about it :D Ill be reading up on diode placement today and see what thats about.

Also, im unsure how to EQ the signal once it has passed Q1 & Q2? Looking to eq the voicing of the circuit instead of EQ'ing the signal before it hits the transistors. The idea here is to add bass after it has passed the clipping stage. :hmm:

13. jonesy

Just finished up this High Gain BC108C "Dual Fuzz" pedal. Built two separate Silicon Fuzz circuits that can be used together or separately.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiuUCpoiCjM]‪Esquire 7K single coil & Dual Fuzz BC108C High Gain Silicon pedal.wmv‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikHFnCJS7dg&feature=related[/ame]

Mouse and Mookakian like this.
  14. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Verycool!!! Nice transition in tones, well done Mr mojo. Dig the tunes too :rock:

15. jonesy

Thanks Mook, I appreciate your input! :D

Mookakian likes this.
  16. jonesy

I just finished up this clean boost pedal based off a schematic I found by Jack Orman. It is actually a small part of the Big Muff circuit minus the diodes and uses a smaller resistor on E of Q1 to keep the signal clean. This Boost circuit uses one 2N3904 Silicon transistor (or BC108) and adds about 30 db of clean boost. Unity gain is about 12 o'clock. Nice warm boost that adds volume and punch not distortion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mookakian likes this.
  17. swaptronics_tech

swaptronics_tech Junior Member

You can pick up 2N5088's for $0.07 each at Tayda Electronics. I have had the best results with BC108B and BC-179 silicon transistors. You just need to be sure the gain (on a typical multimeter hfe setting) reads 200 to 300 and that seems to be the sweet spot. Haven't purchased BC-108 from Tayda as they don't carry them. Expect to pay between $0.48 and $0.60 each for good BC108's (Futurlec has good ones but takes forever to ship your order). Tayda's price and service absolutely rules.

I have used 2N5088's in my pedals but be sure you don't get the ones with gain around 500--the ones with gain around 300 sound much better.

-Dave Adams (a.k.a. swaptronics)

18. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

This Fuzz stuff is dangerously addictive
    I have a few fuzz pedals & I want to build a couple different fuzzfaces & a tonebender mk1

2 people like this.
  19. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

^Yeah, I think i might tackle a foxx tone machine some day soon, or I might just buy one and be lazy :laugh2: I know I gotta have one again (use to rock one a while back but offloaded it)

20. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Senior Member

Do you sell these, Jonsey? Or just the schematic, maybe?
    Just curious....:wave: