Favorite NPN PNP Transistors for FUZZ pedals?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by jonesy, Mar 29, 2011.

1. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

Here you go Mook, let me know what you think of the "Dial-a-Fuzz" :thumb:

I have been up since 4am this morning, and am kinda tired right now but wanted to make a demo and get this video uploaded so sorry for any bad licks. :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLjqkM7Y_PA]YouTube - Dial a Fuzz #001 Demo JonesyBlues Custom Shop[/ame]

Mookakian and guitar_slinger8 like this.
  2. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Very interesting how much drive was given by the higher value caps, makes sense i guess, bass drives harder than treble. Also noticed the russian polly was alot warmer, hard to choose but the PIO seemed most pleasing and useable to me, though the ceramics had a nice bite too.

Revolutionary....I can see these selling like hotcakes, killer tones and a lesson in biasing/eq results. Better patent this idea ;)

3. kirs

kirs Senior Member

jonesy, you're a mad man :D Love it!

jonesy likes this.
  4. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

You have me contemplating spot welding an extention box on the Russian Fuzz and adding an EQ on there... one day i think i will. If i could blow more cash on myself id be in like sin! But business calls, speaking of which, ive been bludging too long this morning, time to clock on.

Top Job Mate!

jonesy likes this.
  5. guitar_slinger8

guitar_slinger8 Senior Member

mook im gonna try making a vid tommorow, sadly i work in the morning so i will try my best to have it up by tommorw night:rolleyes:

if i get a few ofthese sold locally , i might have have to consider a on the side business:cool:....but i still have much to learn though

6. guitar_slinger8

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AXowwSCskU]YouTube - acid phuzz demo[/ame]

jonesy and Mookakian like this.
  7. jonesy

Nice demo Slinger, lot's of cool Fuzzy Tones :)

8. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

I like it man, very cool clipping sounds. I hesitate to mention it, it sounds good the way it is, anyhow if you listen to jnesys clip of the dial-a-fuzz on cap no 3-4 the tone fattens up as the cap value increases. to me the phuzz is a fantastic thin tone, it has a tinny sound but still powerfull lows.

Id be tempted to try that cool clipping through a .022-.033 cap to warm it up a little, but i worry it may be too much drive aswell so i say leave it, it rocks the way it is :thumb:

Just sharing my silly brain :)

9. guitar_slinger8

U
    Thanks Dave, I appreciate all ur support bro.....cent wait till the parts get here.

10. guitar_slinger8

I'm glad u like it Mook, I actually got a 0.047 cap on it I think the issue is me living in an apartment so I really can't turn it up to loud that's why it sounds fizzy at times,maybe next band practice ill do a vid. Also the amp I was using Reqlly lacks low end.

Mookakian likes this.
  11. jonesy

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne41tFA9yOQ]YouTube - Silicon & Germanium Fuzz demo.wmv[/ame]

12. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Man, i cant believe how good your builds are Jonesy. Very glad i met you here \m/

The germanium is more my flavour, but id very hapily use the silicon, the silicon was a little more on the OD side and the germanium is a little fuzzier an warmer. Those two and a loop switch and i could happily get through a set with impressive changes. :applause:

jonesy likes this.
  13. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Killer man:thumb: Keep on experimenting, i can see you making some very cool starved fuzzies!

14. jonesy

Well thanks a lot Mook glad you like them, and I appreciate the kind words from you. :thumb:

Yes the Germanium is a bit Grittier Fuzz (clipped square-ish wave) and the Silicon is Smoother (clipped round wave) and more tube like. My amp was set fairly clean on that demo, but if you use a Silicon Fuzz into a tube amp set Hot it get's a lot edgier and has ton's of sustain ;)

15. jonesy

16. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Most welcome:) I love the Gristle King with a little OD behind it, tasty stuff, did you end up making a fuzz fuzz box? I remember seeing the idea here somewhere, wondering how the partner together, it cant be too easy matching stacked fuzz?

17. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Anyone call The No 2 fuzz? If not may i :D

18. jonesy

They are going out #'rd in the order of payment rcvd., looks like you are getting #006 ;)

19. jonesy

FYI: I installed a 9 volt battery into each one of the Red Russian Fuzz pedals and they are all working great! :)

20. Indyclone

Indyclone Senior Member

what kind of batteries? :)

Seriously, I've heard that the old style Carbon-Zink batteries sound better than Alkalines...

which I guess means buying cheap generic 9v batteries 2 for a buck is actually better than a 1 for $4 long lasting Alkaline... go figure.