FAQ: Tenons

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by dwagar, Mar 26, 2009.

1. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

[​IMG]

Early Norlins (though 1974) had what are referred to as 'transitional tenons' or 'modified long tenons'. A long neck tenon with the tongue portion cut off. I assume trimmed prior to assembly, rather than milled out during assembly. This tenon is visible in the neck pickup cavity.

In 1975, along with the change to maple necks, came the short tenon, aka rocker tenon. Allowing for faster assembly, the neck can be 'rocked' slightly to achieve the correct angle. A short tenon is not visible in the cavity.

With Gibson, dates are not set in stone. I've seen pictures of maple necked '75s and one '76 with trans tenons.

I have a theory (but could be wrong) that Nashville never made a trans tenon Les Paul, that they all came from Kalamazoo.

2. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Trans tenon in my '69:

[​IMG]

3. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

Some Norlins that had a trans tenon were routed in the neck pickup cavity for a long tenon. In that case, a small block of wood was placed in the empty space where the tongue of a long tenon would have been. It makes it look like a long tenon. In that situation beware; take a close look at the end of the tongue. If it is not beveled on the end, it is a block of wood, not a long tenon. I have seen people try to sell them as long tenons on ebay in the past; could be an honest mistake, but a costly one.

CherryBurstChaser likes this.
  4. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

that was early, wasn't it? '68/69?

5. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Should have been very early '69 when there were trans tenon necks and long tenon routes w/ the blocks. By mid/late '69, the switch to trans tenon should have been complete. I do not believe that there were any trans tenons in '68 - only long.

6. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

thanks, that matches what I've got in the History thread.

7. icsm

icsm Senior Member

Long tenons existed in the early 69s. I think the guitars that were started in 68 and shipped in 69 (aka early 69s) had long tenons. Trans tenons start mid 69 (i read somewhere Feb 69). Trans tenons are closer to long tenons than they are to short tenons in terms of construction.

8. lucy-guitar

lucy-guitar Member

Transitional neck tenon of my 1973 Custom

[​IMG]

9. treatb

treatb Senior Member

whats that big white thing along the truss rod of the short tenon

10. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

I assume that's the filler strip - put in after the rod is put in. You don't see it in the other 2 photos as they aren't cut as deep (you can't see the rod)

11. Gregzy

Gregzy Senior Member

Here's a trans tenon on my late '74/early '75 LPC (Mahogany neck) :

[​IMG]

Greg

12. bullpentherapy

bullpentherapy Senior Member

i am guessin that my 71 deluxe is a trans tenon as well?

13. Chris Tramp

Chris Tramp Senior Member

What difference if any is there in a short and trans tenon? Does it make the neck more stable and tuning better with a trans Tenon? I take it one of the two are more collectable..

14. moff40

moff40 Senior Member

Not collectible in and of itself, but checking the tenon is a good way to verify an approximate age of a guitar. It just so happens that older (pre 1960) LPs are collectible, and all had long tenons. The first couple of years of the re-introduced LP (1969 - 1972-ish) are desirable, (though less collectible and less valuable than the '50s models), and feature a transitional tenon. LPs built after that time are least valuable, and coincidentally, all of those, except Custom Shop VOS models, have short tenons.

Generally speaking, more wood-to-wood contact in the neck joint should result in better vibration transfer from the neck, and in theory, cause better sustain. Therefore it should be that long tenon guitars sustain longest, followed by trans-tenon, and finally the short or "rocker tenon". Notice I said "in theory". It doesn't always hold true in practice... Each guitar is an individual regardless of its construction.

Toxicpizza72 and 79standard like this.
  15. Chris Tramp

Chris Tramp Senior Member

Thanks for the info! I had read on here and other places that some LP's after '72 still have long or trans tenons? I guess its just a lottery and the only way to find out is to look under the neck pickup?

Im interested in buying a '74 Ivory 20th Anniversary Custom, any idea on wether these have a trans or long tenon? And also, do you know how i can tell if it is made in Kalamazoo? As its a '74 and i read that serial no's from this year are a bit dodgy... How much would you pay for one?

Cheers!

16. moff40

moff40 Senior Member

My guess would be a trans tenon on the '74, though it might be short. IIRC. long tenons went away long before the reintroduction of the LP in late'68/'69. The trans tenon was phased out and was pretty much gone by 1975 (see the original post in this thread). Everything after that (except Custom Shop/VOS) is short tenon, including Customs. Then in about 2005, Customs ceased to be made in the "USA" plant, becoming instead a "Custom Shop" model, and thus got a long tenon again.

As for whether it was made in Kalamazoo or Nashville, I'm not sure. Of course, Kalamazoo was the original, then Norlin opened the Nashville plant. Both plants operated from 1974 until 1984. It's very likely that the '74 was made in Kalamazoo - but don't take my word as gospel....

17. Les Paw

Les Paw Senior Member

Sometimes this info can be misleading or say not totally accurate. I recently purchased a 58 LP custom BB and returned it because it sounded like crap. It had (obviously) a long tenon. I have other guitars with the trans tenons and I tell you they sound A LOT better. I don't know why. Maybe there was another reason for them switching from the long tenon??? I believe the fact that there was no maple top either made a difference as well. I would says it is accurate to say that the tenon length is more important to collectors than true players. As far as sound goes. I don't care if I pay $50,000 for a true vintage guitar, or $1,000 for a beat up Norlin. If it does not sound or play good I don't want it.....

Toxicpizza72 and 79standard like this.
  18. moff40

moff40 Senior Member

+1. That's why I said "in theory" :)

79standard likes this.
  19. sangandongo

sangandongo V.I.P. Member

It's as though people place all their confidence in a 3 inch by 5 inch area of wood and expect all the tone and playability to come from that spot.

CherryBurstChaser and 79standard like this.
  20. moped ne moi

moped ne moi Junior Member

Never cared about the tenons, so how can you identify this one:
    [​IMG]