Famous Recorded Mistakes...

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by X–Ray, Aug 27, 2009.

1. nwobhm

nwobhm Senior Member

Yeah, it's just the bass, I always wondered why, maybe to make the vocals stand out more? who knows? It sticks in my mind because, I remember covering it about 20 years ago.

2. laz7

laz7 Senior Member

Led Zeppelin - I can't quit you

At the ending of the solo, Page left out the whole turn-around, confusing the band.

Amazing cover by the way

Leendrix likes this.
  3. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure Premium Member

hadn't notice, hmm

will check that out...

thanks!

;~)

4. laz7

laz7 Senior Member

Nobody noticed, that's why he left the mistake in there.
    Listen to the end of the solo carefully.
    The last chord progression is identical to the rest of the song, but the turnaround is missing.

X–Ray likes this.
  5. X–Ray

damn, this is an interesting thread, haha

6. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful Banned

I agree. This is one of my favourite threads. Its very interactive and its great when the lads attach the songs to their post so we can go back and hear for ourselves. :dude:

7. laz7

laz7 Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcbTv_zNtvs]‪Led Zeppelin- I Can't Quit You Baby‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

At the ending of the solo, Page left out the whole turn-around, confusing the band. 3:30

8. Montrose

Montrose Senior Member

Take a look at the Live Cream at Albert Royal Hall, 2005. Check out the song "Born Under a Bad Sign" Listen to Clapton's guitar, he comes in an entire 12 bars to early for the solo, then quickly recovers! If your listening, you'll catch it, otherwise it sounds natural. The sign of a true pro! "There's no such thing as a bad note, just a bad follow through"- My high school band teacher

Also, listen to Grand Funk's "Grand Funk"(the red album). That record is filled to the gills with mistakes. According to Farner's biography, they did everything in one take, live in the studio. Cool stuff, defiantly "raw". GFR for life!

Benjammin likes this.
  9. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

:thumb:

10. Montrose

Montrose Senior Member

I love that quote too! It's too true. Great advice for beginning soloists on any instrument

11. El Raymundo

El Raymundo Member

I know, right? It's glaring once you hear it the first time.

12. circusboy28

circusboy28 Senior Member

"Louie Louie" by the Kingsmen. After the guitar solo the keyboard player drops a bar and starts the chorus a bar early. The rest of the band flounder around trying to catch up ... and it just sounds sensational! Fortuitous mistake.

13. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

On the Allman Brothers studio cut of "Ain't Wastin' Time No More" at the end of the slide solo, it sounds like a plastic pill bottle or something falling over bouncing. (Could even sound like a pa-chinka machine, if anyone knows what that is :cool:) Just heard it the other day for the first time while listening to the CD on my car stereo.

It occurs on this track right about at 2:19

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woyx4hNiOe4&feature=related]‪The almon brothers - Ain't Wastin no more time‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

This sound kind of reminds me of a time when I was touring with a Country Band in the early part of the 80's. We had done a number of studio sessions by then, but we had a rare opportunity to record some demo tracks (for free of course :cool:) for someone at RCA's Studio B in Nashville. We were all in the control room listening to some playbacks. There were a few big wigs in there wearing blue suits standing over the engineer.

The bass player and I were just sitting in the background trying to stay out of the way. The bass player was sitting next to a tape splicing station near the corner. At one point he just happened to pick up the razor blade and jokingly started tapping it on the metal surface. The whole room went instantly silent and everyone in the room stopped, turned and looked in the direction of the sound. :shock: (It was the 80's :lol: nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean, know what I mean)

14. Ed Zeppeli

Ed Zeppeli Senior Member

Has anybody mentioned the loud, muted guitar in Radiohead's Creep that brings in the chorus?

I guess it wasn't a mistake technically but he was trying to sabotage the tune as he hated it.

They all liked it so much it stayed in.

15. sweatyhand

sweatyhand Senior Member

I am afraid there is no such thing.
    I mean if for some reason the mistakes become famous, then its all become part of the game anyway.

16. yawny

yawny Senior Member

Also, and i can't believe that no one has pointed this out yet, at the drum break around 0:53 or so, the drummer yells "f*ck" pretty loudly". That song was scanned by the dang CIA for dirty lyrics since they were so incomprehensible and they missed someone dropping the f bomb.:lol:

I don't know how to embed videos, but if you look on youtube it's the one with the picture of the record

17. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful Banned

I just heard the song now and it brought back the memory.

Chicago, 25 or 6 to 4
    The guitar solo sounds off.....flat maybe is the word. I just feel that they should have picked a better take.

18. X–Ray

it always sounded out of key/out of tune/the G string flat/poorly played – whatever...

whether intentional or unintentional, it stinks, imo

19. 3rdstone

3rdstone Senior Member

Always thought there was an unintentional 'woooo!' after Merry Clayton's voice cracks on the Rolling Stones' Gimme Shelter.

Not so. I was just perusing YouTube for isolated vocal tracks, and sure enough, there it is... they left it there for a reason.

An awesome sounding 'famous recorded mistake' if I may say so myself...:thumb:

Her vocal starts @ 2:48 on the clip below:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5rUKbI3Y-M"]Rolling Stones - "Gimme Shelter" (Isolated Vocal Track) - YouTube[/ame]

Included the original recording, with some turbulent 60's visuals just for shites...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3rnxQBizoU"]Gimme Shelter 1969 - The Rolling Stone - YouTube[/ame]

20. Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81 Senior Member

Cant believe no one has posted this yet:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd1gRHk28IE]The Yardbirds - Train Kept A Rollin' - YouTube[/ame]
    Train wreck vocals!