Famous Recorded Mistakes...

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by X–Ray, Aug 27, 2009.

1. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure Premium Member

Sometimes when you read about a favorite artist, they will openly criticize something they have played, wrote, and/or recorded despite what your opinion or the general consensus is. Or, you will notice something amiss, and wonder why it was left in to be there for all time.

Here are a few examples I am aware of:

*Page's second solo on, "Heartbreaker" where he over-shoots the band's stopping for a measure or so...

On a clean UK vinyl of, "Since I've Been Loving You" from Led Zeppelin III, John Bonham's sqweaky hi-hat is glaring. (Where's the WD40 when you need it most?)

*Eddie Van Halen saying he cannot stand to listen to, "Eruption" because all he can hear is his mistakes...

He hated the way Ted Templeman mixed his guitar extremely to the opposite channel from the bass in the early albums. EVH thought his tone was too distorted and should have been cleaner.

*The Beatles (where to begin?): In many of the mono UK vinyls you can hear editing clicks and splices, etc.

Paul saying, "fuck you" to John during the recording of, "Hey Jude" with their engineer, Geoff Emerick leaving it in the final mix without them knowing it...

Ever notice how, "nasally" the singing is on, "Please Please Me" compared to subsequent albums? Reportedly, they all were sharing a cold during the recording of their first LP.

There is one scream of John's on, "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" where his voice distorts for a moment. Apparently, John stepped on his microphone cable which caused it to crackle. John wanted it to be left in (of course).

*Eric Clapton hating his solo on, "Crossroads" from the, "Wheels of Fire" album because he was soloing out of sync with the chord changes, and, is befuddled that listeners still like it... Also, Clapton said he was drunk at the time. (Hand me some of that fire water!)

Off the top, that is all I can come up with – any others want to add and/or elaborate on the above?

onehippie, EnjoGuitar, planks and 9 others like this.
  2. TOMMYTHUNDERS

TOMMYTHUNDERS Senior Member

can we add our own recorded mistakes we've left on record?

3. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

"I've got blisters on my fingers!!!"

Guitar Freak and mrrazorblade227 like this.
  4. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

paul doesn't swear... it's john saying "oops... f*cking hell!"

still my favourite :)

5. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

or the mic breaking down during Yer Blues...

6. Leumas

Leumas Senior Member

Helter Skelter has a squeaky toy and somebody giggling. There's lots of Beatle flubs. On their early stuff there's a few instances of guys saying two different words in the beginning of a verse.

7. X–Ray

Well TOMMYTHUNDERS, the answer is most definitely, "yes" as evidenced by most everything I have posted of my playing :yesway:

8. X–Ray

perfect - thank you for the correction :~)

9. jonesy77777

jonesy77777 Senior Member

It wasn't a recorded blooper, but I always laughed at the little gaffe Art Garfunkel did in the Central Park concert, where he jumped into the verse too soon, I think it was Scarborough Fair. Paul Simon just looked at him like, WTF??? we've played this a million times.

10. TOMMYTHUNDERS

TOMMYTHUNDERS Senior Member

when recording one of our records we decided it would be cool if behind the solo on a song we had guitar feedback. so when i was double tracking the guitar parts i just didn't play anything behind the solo and then we set up to record a second track of just feedback behind the solo portion. i've got my headphones on standing in a room with my guitar and the cabinet. the solo hits, and i hold the guitar up to the cab and start moving it around to change the feedback dynamics... then i step on my guitar cable. the plug hits the hardwood with a clack clack, and then the recognizable hum of an unplugged guitar cable into an amp. i hurredly picked up the plug and plugged it back in with the snap and echo of it being plugged in. then went back to the control area and we had a laugh about it. we listened to it with the error track behind the solo and it sounded really raw and cool, so we kept it.

11. X–Ray

Clapton has a few, minor, "boners" on the "Beano" album...

However, I think they add to what he is doing here.

12. X–Ray

While I do not dispute this, I think they also liked singing, "love" and "hug" at the same time purposefully... word-play?

13. damndirtyape71

damndirtyape71 Senior Member

Oh, I thought we were talking about the entire Poison catalog.. LOL

How about on Cheap Trick's Elo Kiddies, there is a telephone ringing in the backround.

14. stadams

stadams Senior Member

Speaking of telephones ringing, there is one in "The Ocean" by LZ.

Whoopie cushion on Pushit by Tool.

15. ruddy

ruddy Banned

theres the one on the start of roxanne, sombody on here pointed that out not long ago!

16. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

i can't imagine ANYTHING happening on a tool record that isn't pre-planned...

17. stadams

stadams Senior Member

True!

18. peter679

peter679 Senior Member

DAMN YOU MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL It must be jersey guys think alike..I was going to say...Mistakes??? anything by Poison, Winger, and the like.LOL..

19. John Vasco

John Vasco I'm with the band V.I.P. Member

Towards the end of 'Street Fighting Man', between Mick & Keef, one says 'Yeah' and the other says 'No', at the same time. Brilliant!

20. John Vasco

John Vasco I'm with the band V.I.P. Member

I like the uncut version of '8:05' by Moby Grape (on the 'Vintage' CD), where you hear Jerry Miller say 'Fuck this is hard, Man, this fuckin' action!' before he starts the acoustic intro. It was obviously cut from the track that went on to the Grape's first album.