Fake Gibson Custom

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by cryptozoo, Jun 17, 2011.

1. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Senior Member

I've got a customer's "fake" Gibson Custom Black Beauty on the bench right now -- not sure how many of you have ever seen one of these in person, but from a few feet away, they don't look quite as bad as I assumed. Yes, they're cheaply made for sure, the stock pots, wiring, pickups in this one are all Epiphone (not fake Epiphone)... maybe the hardware, too.

At the risk of leading people down a terrible road, please take heed of the following disclaimer:

ATTENTION JOHNNY EMPTYPOCKETS: DON'T BUY FAKE GUITARS!
    Oh crap, what constitutes a guitar as being fake?

OK... DON'T BUY FAKE GIBSONS!
    Actually, crap, I can't say that because I own a replica. Also, I learned a long time ago you can't tell people what to do.

SO HOW ABOUT THIS: IF YOU BUY A FAKE, CONTACT SLAPSHOT AS I HEAR HE'S WINDING SOME KILLER FAKE PICKUPS!

BillB1960 likes this.
  2. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

You could quite possible be correct in your statement.....I don't know.

So that being said....here put this on :D

[​IMG]

SingeMonkey likes this.
  3. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

a vendor promoting the counterfeit industry is as funny as a bum full of smarties

excuse me I'm just going to make some counterfeit bolt pickups.You won't tell the difference from a few feet away but they may have some issues like pole pieces not lining up and wires disconnected

4. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Senior Member

Heck, I'm not 'promoting' it -- this is the first time I've seen one of these in person -- I didn't buy it, I don't own it, I'm not selling one and I wouldn't ever buy one. I was mainly making a point that there are a lot of Epiphone parts on this thing, which seems a little odd to me. It could be a coincidence, maybe whoever's making these is buying those parts in bulk.

5. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

:thumb:

what happens now when johnny emptypockets googles and lands on this page reads it and then decides he'll save a few bucks by buying the fake cause he "read a guy on the internet said ..."
    anytime these pieces of chinese shit are mentioned in any other light than they're made from packing crates and bamboo is promoting it it & perpetuating the industry.
    Being some sort of manufacturer I thought you might understand that.Guess not.
    My counterfeit bolts are coming along swimmingly too I might add.
    And people do make the effort to replace all the chinese shit in them to make them appear more legit.

6. o0mobius0o

o0mobius0o Senior Member

Where is the "doesn't like" button?

dangerdog and slapshot like this.
  7. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Senior Member

I can't help what people Google or buy, but I'll put a disclaimer on my original post so as not to confuse the matter.

8. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Photos or it's a real Gibson.

Echevarria and BigAl like this.
  9. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Senior Member

:laugh2:

10. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

I'm seriously considering changing my forum handle to Johnny Emptypockets :hmm::laugh2:

11. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Senior Member

Bill, I know you've been eyeballing these fakes, bro! Don't do it! Did you find this thread via Google?!?

12. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

Yes I googled "Gibsun Res Pawr" and this thread came up! :naughty:

JerseyJettfan likes this.
  13. UITA

UITA Senior Member

Now that's funny.

14. Zackb911

Zackb911 Senior Member

Personally I'm very tempted to pick one of these up and upgrade the wiring and pickups to see what I end up with. Thinking a Silverburst Custom, been researching it already :)

15. o0mobius0o

o0mobius0o Senior Member

Don't do it. There are many other options.

16. Zackb911

Zackb911 Senior Member

Eh for $280 shipped without a case or $330 with case, it's VERY tempting. I spent a few hours looking at reviews on Youtube, online, reading seller reviews on Trade Tang, and learning what to look for. For example, most of the LP Custom ones come with a rosewood fingerboard but if you ask for ebony they'll do it as a one off. Also some sellers offer a seller guarantee where the money is held in escrow to make sure you get the right thing.

Furthermore I keep hearing electronic are Epiphone, not sure what level of Epi though.

Personally at the price it's worth a gamble. If I like it then I could swap the pickups to Gibsons for ~$100, $65 all new wiring, $50 Gotoh bridge and tail.

I'm not delusional nor would I hold it out as the genuine article. I do have nice guitars already, including a Gibson. It would just be a fun project to entertain me.

I used to dabble in Rep watches. With watches there are some near perfect replicas, amazing even, and there was complete junk out there. Knowing what to buy and what to look for was key.

Worst case it makes for a nice piece of wall art. :thumb:

17. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  18. rirakuma

rirakuma Senior Member

I've played one before and that particular one was a POS. Truss rod was broken, wont stay in tune, pickups sounded thin, knobs were bent and some more negatives that I cant remember.

When someone says fake Gibsons I think of the ones coming out of China with an actual "Gibson" logo. Burny, Greco etc do replicas but they dont claim to be Gibson.

19. bobarino

bobarino Senior Member

kill it with c-4.

20. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Senior Member

I'm not entirely sure C4 could penetate the thick poly finish.

Thumpalumpacus and bobarino like this.