[Fake Check] LP 100 Model, logo & serial number

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Damian, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Damian

Damian Junior Member

Hi everyone out there.

My name is Damian, im from Argentina.
    A couple of days ago, my GF bought me a brand new LP 100 Deluxe Edition.

A few days before she bought it for me, i was hanging around with her and we went to the store (official dealer) where she bought it to test a few guitars.
    Tested it, rly liked it tho.

Now today, looking for pictures of other LP 100 models, i've found this forum and started to check some info about fake ones around.

Instantly i've grabed my brand new guitar and found out some strange stuff about it.

Weird Fact Number 1: First of all, i really couldnt find any info about LP 100 Deluxe Edition in Epiphone's website.
    Weird Fact Number 2: Tried to check serial number but it only has numbers (its ok, i've already red the posts about it; ill attach a few pictures anyways)
    Weird Fact Number 3: The Epi's logo at the headstock is different from all the pics i've found of LP 100 around. I did a large search on the web about that, but the logo is like the Nighthawk model. U can see the logo im talking about in the next picture.

[​IMG]

Also im attaching, as i said, some pics of my guitar (including the ones of headstock logo front and back, serial number and some random ones):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope the pics are good enough.

TyVM to all of u; ill keep reading.

Best regards for u all.

Damián.-

2. Goodcleanfun

Goodcleanfun Senior Member

Epiphone Limited-Edition Les Paul 100 Deluxe Electric Guitar: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

the logo is slightly different on their pic but the pics they have aren't of the production-run guitars as they're supplied by Epiphone before the model is released (usually!)- there's a chance it could have changed or it might be a different model year before the changes came into effect.

As to it being a fake? I don't see why someone would go to the effort of faking a guitar worth about $300 when they could fake a guitar worth $3000 honestly... seems like a lot of work for not a lot of reward and to me, that guitar looks 100% legit, it has the 3 screw truss rod cover for a start.

I have an LP 100 from 1994 when they were made in Korea. It's a better sounding guitar than my Edwards, and a much better player. No shit.

It's a nice guitar man :)

3. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Don't worry, it is good :thumb:

4. Damian

Damian Junior Member

Thank you so much for your answer, mate; i appreciate it.

I've found that website today, and yea, the logo is different. The thing is that i still haven't found any pic of the model i have with the same logo as mine. :hmm:

About faking guitars worth about $300, i dissagree, and i'll tell u why. In Argentina, U$D300 is like $1400 Pesos Argentinos, besides the fact that this model is being sold for almost U$D450 here (around $1800 Pesos Argentinos).
    $1800 Pesos Argentinos is a lot of money here in Argentina, sadly.
    At some point it really looks legit, but there are some facts that put me in doubt.

Ty again for ur answer, buddy :thumb:

Thank you too for ur answer :thumb:

5. Goodcleanfun

is it just the headstock logo that puts you off?

Have you emailed or called Epiphone about this, or even Gibson? Get Skype can give them a call, it'll be much cheaper. I'm sure they'll be able to tell you something about it, especially the serial number issue. My Korean LP 100 has an S at the start of the number, but when production shipped to Indonesia they may have dropped the lettering system.

6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Looks good to me. I've never seen a white one before, it's much more handsome than the cherryburst or ebony I normally see, and I usually don't care for white guitars.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epi...iphone-thread-ii.html?highlight=fake+epiphone

As to why they get counterfeited, no one looks closely at $5 bills, but every store I've seen checks $100 for veracity. The same principle is at work with fake Epis.

Damian likes this.
  7. Damian

Damian Junior Member

Yeah, kinda. ¿Its weird, isn't it?

I've just realized of all this, but ill get in touch with Epiphone today. :)

Ty pal. Just cross finguers :fingersx:

8. sg13

sg13 Senior Member

Its real, Very nice guitar! I like the lp-100's unlike most people.

9. davies

davies Banned/Not Banned V.I.P. Member

Your Korean LP100 has an S to indicate the Samick plant. Epiphone stopped using letter prefix s/n's for standard production guitars in 2008, across all factories.

As for faking Epis, of course there are fake Gibsons but people know there are fake Gibsons so they're on the look out for them.

Given that Epiphones are a much more affordable alternative and more of an entry-level guitar, the counterfeiters are far more likely to be able to sell them because most people don't know (i) that they exist or (ii) what to look for even if they did know they exist.

Of course, there's a higher profit margin for a fake Gibson but it's far easier to sell 100 fake Epis than it is to sell one fake Gibson and, given that production costs for the fakes are probably the same, which would you, were you a counterfeiter, concentrate on?

10. Goodcleanfun

I like your style.

11. Hack

Hack Senior Member

I like his shoes.

12. fry

fry Senior Member

13. Damian

Damian Junior Member