EZ Drummer

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Rocco Crocco, Feb 18, 2017.

1. steelehead

steelehead Senior Member

the other nice thing if you load your tracks and don't like the sound of your ezdrummer, you can use another vst drums over it......with better sounds

2. Its Luke

Its Luke Premium Member

Very cool.... i am new to digital recording and all of this DAW stuff.

What interface are you fellas using to connect with EZ drummer?

I was looking intro Focusrite Saffire or Scarlett

Thanks!

3. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

I have the Saffire Pro and I couldn't be happier. Rock solid and dependable.

Mine is fire-wire though, not USB.

EZ drummer runs inside your DAW not the interface. The interface is for getting the outside world into the DAW.

Once inside the DAW EZ drummer runs along side of your sound tracks and can be recorded along side your own tracks like a virtual drummer.

4. Its Luke

Its Luke Premium Member

Thanks for your response Darrell

I purchased the EZ Drummer 2 program and started playing around with it, this thing is really cool!

Which DAW do you run?

I am a Windows user so i am contemplating either Pro Tools or Reaper.

Also what is the difference in the Saffire interface in comparison to the Scarlett?

-This is a whole new world for me, but a very exciting one!

5. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Does anyone here have experience with both EZDrummer and Logic Pro's included "Drummer"? I have the latter so I'm just curious as to how the two stack up against one another.

6. TheDevice

TheDevice Senior Member

I use logic drummer to write with then I send a scratch track off to get real drums laid down for the final. That way I don't have to do a bunch of programming in logic, just setup a quick groove.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/sonny-king-rock-guitar/84-chevette[/SC]

Drummer I use:

http://brandonfaulkner.net

7. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

All the drum programs have similarities and differences between their feature sets and sound quality. AN Toontrack's EZ programs are designed to offer quick easy results. So if that works for you, then I'm sure you will find it very useful.

But as any Midi file created in one program can be imported it in to another, then having more than one program also affords the benefit of their differences.

And because just about every company offers reduced sale prices at times; sometimes 50% reductions, having several is possible even on a tight budget.

I use Logic; have Addictive Drums and Addictive Trigger; Slate Drums; Superior Drummer; and EZ Drummer [as well as other EZ products, all of which I find very useful and handy at times]. But I'm not sufficiently familiar with any of them to opine if any is significantly better. However I do prefer Addictive's sound samples and it's Trigger program.

8. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

XLN has a 50% off ALL products sale until April 4th. imho it's a good opportunity to upgrade their free Grand Piano demo to the full version; or try get their drums. I upgraded the grand P.

The price shown are BEFORE taking HALF OFF.

https://www.xlnaudio.com/products

9. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

I remember AD sounding very good. I remember their GUI being a little harder to navigate though.

10. Joeydego

One good tip that I've been finding helps me write better drum parts lately is to set up both the ez drummer track and then a midi track right next to it. I drag my basic grooves into the first track then drag stuff I want to slice up on the midi track, like fills. I may not need all 4 beats of a fill, so I drag it onto the midi track as to not disturb the EZD track and slice from there.

11. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

I always find it so interesting how certain drum beats can help towards writing a tune, while others leave me hearing nothing.

So [at $10 a pop} I grabbed a few midi-paks on XLN's sale site even though I may have only heard 1 particular beat in the offered samples that let me 'hear' a song in it.

Also could't resist their FAIRFAX 1 "Sound City" drum sounds.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eluTewUrn9w[/ame]

12. Joeydego

For a lousy 10 bucks if you got a song out of it it's well worth the money. Hell just keeping you entertained for 2 hours, a movie is more expensive.

13. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

This is exactly how I do it. I piece my song together on a instrument track, I setup a separate midi track right next to it, and initially drag everything there so I can crop, and slice to exactly what I want, then I drag it up to the instrument track to add it into the song.
    This is especially helpful when splicing in fills, because as you said, you may only need the tail end of the fill.

14. Joeydego

Yea man, exactly. I need to get more in depth with protools beat detective. Will it detect midi notes too? I think you can really perfect the groove based on transients of rhythm tracks. I can build my own tracks too, but they're rarely 100% perfect. Between building your own tracks and using the right fills you can certainly get a fair drum part.

15. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Yeah I keep meaning to explore beat detective as well. I have always either created my own, or modified existing. I have found for dynamics sake it is better to take something existing and modify it to my needs, adding hits, rearranging hits, etc.... The cool thing with Superior Drummer is that If I like the way the hihats are in one midi groove I can select to just pull out the hihats, or snare, or kick. You don't actually have to drag the entire beat in, it's not to just be able to drag parts of the beat in.

16. Joeydego

reallyyyyyyyy......hmmm Im eligible for a crossgrade too

17. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

any of the drum samplers are good. i like addictive drums 2, especially since it can use a set of e-drums to use as triggers. i'm sure the others do as well, but it's nice. i know that tech goes all the way back to battery, but it's very nice for those who don't have a dedicated drum tracking room.

18. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

UAD has a great ROOM convolution plugin derived from Ocean Way's rooms. Their plugins, which require their dedicated Satellite or Converter processor hardware, I think tend to be a notch above the rest in most instances. To my ears they just seem to have that extra clarity and sound that comes only from hardware.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEIfSx3SBC0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8MK2y1wS7M[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=simpzd5xhJk[/ame]

19. kmasters68

kmasters68 Premium Member

I got a 1O day trial but haven't been able to mess with it much. Seems awesome so far, I just don't know if its $13O awesome.

20. Joeydego

if your goal is to write, record and mix your own material to GOOD demo quality, it's invaluably 130 awesome.