Extreme makeover

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by The Thruth, Aug 22, 2008.

1. messenger

messenger Junior Member

All I see is a red x. What tool is it that you used to route for the binding? Also how would YOU go about routing for trapeziod inlays without removing frets?

2. Hedcrash

Hedcrash Senior Member

You did a fantastic job on that LPM refinish!! It's beautiful.

3. pumbishon

pumbishon Junior Member

Hi,

Thanks for reply,
    I have only two question more :) - when You painted layers of lacquer how much time You waiting between them? I mean "1 layer - xxx min - 2 layer - xxx min" etc. And how much time You waiting after 5th layer before sanding?

Greetings
    B. Hawling

4. gnvair

gnvair Member

I have a black Strat that I would love to do a 50's style 2 tone sunburst too. I have done automotive paint and body work and one of the new methods for stripping paint is soda blasting which is blasting with baking soda. It is coarse enough to remove the paint, but gentle enough to not harm the wood.
    My question is what colors are you using to achieve the sunburst finish?
    Are you using automotive paints or the paint from Stew Mac.
    Great job btw!

5. Shawn Lutz

Shawn Lutz Senior Member

excellent job turning a Studio into a Standard ;) Looks great!

6. ElhazGuy

ElhazGuy Senior Member

I would leave the body of the 8-string as it was natural. What a cool pattern that wood has.

Outstanding work, croatian guy.
    Send a hug to the amazing Cro-Cop! ;)

7. AxAxSxS

AxAxSxS Member

That's beautiful

8. chef

chef Senior Member

I'm glad someone resurrected this thread.

FANTASTIC work. Keep it up!

9. Spaceacex

Spaceacex Senior Member

Its pretty clear... you are the man to go to for such things. WOW. Salute!

10. jeandarolt

jeandarolt Junior Member

The Truth: how long would you take for adding the binding (body/neck) to a les paul studio?

Are you able to bind the head also?

11. bubba steen

bubba steen Senior Member

I don't want to troll, but the finished product had an extra inlay. Did you do that yourself?

12. The Thruth

The Thruth wizzard MLP Sponsor

i used primitive hand tools, like scalpel blade turned into sometihing like this

STEWMAC.COM : Ibex Purfling Cutter

i didn't touch inlays or frets, it was originaly on this guitar :thumb:

13. The Thruth

i don't know, it all depends on weather and mood, i am doing it until it s done, i like make a pause, and work without pressure. so it usualy takes 5 or 10 min between coats, or 1 hour on every 5 coats, it depends on gun pressure, or how much thinner, everything is in details :thumb:

14. The Thruth

i was using some local bought nitro paints, but this stewmac colors are even better, if i was doing it now i would buy this:

STEWMAC.COM : ColorTone Liquid Stains

back then i didn't have money to buy all this only fo ne refinish that i was charging 140$ only, haha :thumb:

thanx

yes it all depends what customer wants, if you take order you then have to do every little detail customer want, you as a luthier don't have opinions, only maybe sugestions. i liked it also better when body was without finish :hmm:

yes, we all love crocop but, he is great, too bad he didn't become even bigger legend and retired after taking the belt in japan pride (after amazing duel with Vanderlei silva). now that fact is that he is mortal, nothing is the same as in his best days, right?

15. The Thruth

thanx

thanx

it took me a few days, i don't even remember this job, only from pics (i did so many repairs and refinishes after this job).

you can bind anything you want, even the back if you have idea. if you are not affraid then go. i remember now that i even didn't have workshop back then. i did it in house, there was so much wood chips and big mess, but it was a joy and i never saw something like that on internet so it was "almost" impossible to do it, haha :)
    now when you see this monster forum and luthier corner, everything is possible, there is so many talented guys here that have 1st builds so amazing that even gibson guitars can hide :dude:

16. markbastable

markbastable Strange kind of blues-coloured moon Premium Member

Fascinating thread. Incredibly impressive work.

17. Marshall Arts

Marshall Arts Senior Member

Impressive!

Your finished works are pure eye candy!

18. factorymotohd

factorymotohd Member

Very nice,I think it looks cool LP studio with binding, Top and back same wood, Original,

19. IvanGrozni

IvanGrozni Junior Member

Firts of all - I have to give a credits to my fellow Croatian - wonderful job on refinishing a Studio! Looks beautiful and neatly done. ;)

I own the same model, Gibson LP VM Studio and I find it the great guitar, not only that it sounds awesome (especially for modern styles because it's equipped with Burstbucker pro's) but this is one of the lightest Gibsons! I tried several models and this one fits me the most because I'm a kinda skinny and don't want to suffer from guitar weight. Personally - the ultimate makeover for this type of guitar based on its finish would be sanding it and then rubbing it with Danish oil. A bit long process but it is well worth in the end. This guitar has only a very thin layer of nitro over the mahogany top so I guess it's why it is so lightweight compared to guitars with full finish. I tried to weight VM model with ebony and the difference in weight is around 1 kg! And they do sound differently - VM is more open sounded and has more sustain to my ears.

I'm also a hobbyist luthier and I do some cosmetic repairs to my friend's guitars (and some wirings also, pickups swapping etc.). I also do not use any special tools but whatever is handy to me. One thing I would never again try to do is refretting the guitar because I'm too jumpy and don't have enough nerves for it, especially when a guy you did it for does not appreciate the job. But that's the trade off of the job I guess...

Now I'm working on a semi-electric restoration and it's hell of a job because the guitar is in awful state - the guy kept it in the attic near the chimney and the wood was so dry that I had to condition it and humidify it for almost 2 months! The lacquer was all cracked up and chrome parts worn off. The only good thing was that the neck stayed perfectly straight! :D Guess it will be a whole month job with painting it goldtop with cream bindings, black head and dark walnut back and neck...

But - hey - it's not about me - once again: GREAT JOB MAN! Keep up the good work! :p

p.s. I'm also from Croatia (Rijeka) and I was born and lived few years in Koprivnica and I do visit my cousins here and then, so maybe we could hook up and exchange a few ideas? Thanks.

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  20. chevellekim

chevellekim Junior Member

Very nice, looks great..