EXT Sub setting on QSC K models

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by mdubya, Oct 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Y'all have been hearing me complain about the woofiness on my QSC K8. I have even posted a video which demonstrates the darker sound (not my video).

So I am still experimenting. I tried the HF (high filter) boost (usually for vocals). That brightens things up a bit, but it adds high end distortion. So, I switched back to flat. The bass LF (low filter) has 3 setting; flat, EXT Sub, and Boost. I thought EXT Sub would extend the subs, the opposite of what I need/want. But reading up, it reduces subs for use with a separate sub woofer, or if sitting on the floor, which may induce too much bass.

Well, my K8 sits on a chair. :hmm:

No gains if you don't try right? Initial tests indicate this may be the setting I have been looking for. It definitely cleans up/tightens up much of the woofiness which bothers me.

Thoughts and inputs (I am most definitely a high end audio neophyte) appreciated. :yesway:

Rhust and frankv like this.
  2. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

It sounds like you're working with the settings in the rear of the K8 speaker itself, if I read that correctly? You might consider trying to find the cab block in the editor or wherever you can utilize a high pass filter setting and start around 100Hz and work it up slowly higher towards whatever works for you. It might take as much as 120Hz to 130Hz on some of the more bass heavy patches, depending on what you prefer. I have a JMP patch that's pretty bass heavy and I lower it that way. Rolls it off nicely.

mdubya likes this.
  3. tzd

tzd Senior Member

EXT stands for External, not extend. Basically takes the low frequencies and send it to the external Subwoofer.

Rhust and mdubya like this.
  4. KenG

KenG Senior Member

It really pays to read the manual sometimes:doh:
    But better late than never:h5:

mdubya likes this.
  5. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

I never thought to suggest that, but yes, it's the setting for external sub use. I would imagine that would help! I play mine flat on the hi and low filters, and adjust the kemper profiles accordingly.

Rhust and mdubya like this.
  6. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Only out of desperation. I have adjusted the Low Frequency filter in the cab blocks of every model I use. I haven't messed with the High Filter because I haven't had a problem with too much or not enough High frequency.

Also, I don't like the idea of having to adjust every model to fit the monitor. If the monitor has a characteristic I don't like and can't overcome, I will get a different monitor. I KNOW the Fractal models are good. I can hear how good they are, both through headphones and also struggling to come through the woofiness of the K8.

It is very preliminary, but the EXT Sub setting seems to have made a significant improvement. It is possible the K8 doesn't like sitting on a chair, albeit on some cardboard, too. The K8's own literature mentions it can have too much bass if not on a pole or not suspended.

The K8 now sounds much more like a guitar speaker, which is what I want. It only needs to cover guitar tones, not a full band mix.

AmpedUp likes this.
  7. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Yep. :thumb:

I figured that out. I was afraid to touch anything because I was told to set everything to flat and work from there. The bass response of the K8 itself has been the frequent subject of my consternation. I feel I may now have a solution.

I certainly want input from all parties, but I also want this out here in case anyone else is suffering the same frustrations I was/am suffering.

8. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

:oops:

Thing is, I wouldn't have understood the manual 6 months ago, so I went with the "set it flat" approach.

It may take me a while to figure things out, but I am tenacious.

Buying a pole for the K8 probably would have solved the problem, too. :doh:

But, I like what I am hearing now much more. I will give it a few days to see if that sticks.

I am still trying to work out the best mix of AX8 volume vs K8 "Gain" volume, or if that really doesn't matter. :dunno: I think I have the K8 "gain" on "2" and adjust the AX8 to suit.

9. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

This is the video that demonstrates the woofiness and throatiness of the QSC, a K10 in this case. I bet if he used the EXT Sub setting, that woofiness would be diminished.

10. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

I guess the external sub setting is acting as a high pass filter as such to allow the "external sub" control the low end and rolling off some of them, but not letting you choose exactly where to roll of the lows.

No biggie if it's working for you though. Great, glad to hear it works. 100 ways to do the same thing, and more of what's so great with these things.

mdubya likes this.
  11. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

FWIW, I didn't start liking my DXR12 until I got it up on a pole. I've had guys at gigs ask me where my amp was. When I point to the DXR12 on the pole, they say, "oh, I thought that was part of the PA."

AmpedUp and mdubya like this.
  12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Good info, Drew. :thumb:

Instead of "this will do until I find something better" the K8 is feeling more like a keeper.

This is turning into one of those days where I am not going to get to play it much though. :(

13. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I would sell the 8 & get the K12 Michael.

Just thank me later. :p ;) :D

Cheers, Rudi.

mdubya likes this.
  14. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I don't think I would buy another QSC at this point.

15. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

So, I was thinking about the K8s. I'm guessing it'd just be better to go K12s and save myself some pain?

16. tzd

tzd Senior Member

K8/10/12 sounds the same, the difference is in projection. K8 is wider but shorter projection for small venues while K12 is narrower but much further projection for huge venues.

17. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

Thank you.

Pop1655 likes this.
  18. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

The K12 is also quite large. If you want a nice light speaker, the K8 is nice for that.

If you want a 12 in PA speaker that can sit wedge style, my buddy has an EV that's pretty nice, not sure the model though...and it's a heavy booger as well!

19. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I didn't have much time for real tone testing with the EXT Sub setting yesterday, but so far, still an improvement.

Demo incoming.

20. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Galaxy S7 placed within about 6 inches of the K8. No woofs were harmed during this testing.