Explorers

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Cygnus X-1, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Senior Member

I'm toying with getting an Explorer- shaped guitar.....anyone here who owns one have any info regarding the body shape? Is it awkward to play either sitting or standing? I'm a LP guy so that's what I'm used to.

Thanks!

2. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

IMO-the upper fret access and the way the neck extends out from the body is a revelation. I much prefer the neck joint on these types of guitars over an LP; SG, 335, Firebird, etc.

That said, if the LP is all you know, you might not like the neck joint. Again, IMHO, the single cut neck joint is what gives the LP its unique tone. The Explorer should have a more focused midrange tone. I appreciate the LP tone, but I love the focused tone and playability of my SG, 335, Firebird, etc.

3. Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Senior Member

Thanks for your thoughts!

mdubya likes this.
  4. penguinchit

penguinchit Senior Member

My son tried out a couple Explorers this weekend. Said they were actually pretty comfortable to play sitting because of where it sits on the thigh and the giant wing that sticks up was a pretty good arm rest.

I've never tried them because I just can't play an ugly guitar. Never played the SG either...

5. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

My only complaint is that, like the SG, if you play it with your eyes closed, F, is not where it should be. :)

endial likes this.
  6. Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Senior Member

At the risk of sounding dumb- what do you mean?

7. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

It's the positioning of the neck. The headstock is slightly... ummmm... further away from the body then on a Paul. Sit with it, or an SG, and you can see the difference as compared with a Paul. Scale is the same, just in a different position.

mdubya likes this.
  8. endial

endial Senior Member

The neck seems to be (no, it actually is) located "further away" from you, as if the nut were "at D" instead of at E, so when you habitually go to E you somehow wind up a fret short and are in the F fretting area (if you're not paying attention, or, closing your eyes).

9. Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Senior Member

Interesting- thanks for the input

10. HCRoadie

HCRoadie Senior Member

I picked up an Epi Explorer last week. I have had zero issues transitioning from LesP playing. I play just as crappaly on both. I also have an Ibanez Iceman which is "sort of" explorer shaped. On that thing I am constantly off by a 1/2 step.

mdubya and Cygnus X-1 like this.
  11. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Right. On an LP, the 7th fret is right under your nose. On an SG or 335, it's the 10th fret. On a reverse Firebird (and, I suspect, an Explorer) it is closer to the 12th fret.

This influences the way you play to a certain degree. I find that to be a good thing; different guitars, different moods.

If you like playing leads at the 12th fret, you will love the Explorer. :hippie:

The_Nuge and Cygnus X-1 like this.
  12. Custom53

Custom53 Senior Member

rclausen likes this.