ExNihilo Vintage Burst Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ExNihilo, Jan 21, 2011.

1. emoney

emoney Senior Member

The key here is "around" I think. Sure, it might be off a 1/16th, even as much as an 1/8",
    but that much won't affect your p'up plane. Do as Peter suggested and measure after the
    16th fret and draw a line. Start there and go backwards until it no longer touches the body,
    which is usually right before the bridge/tailpiece. If your router still wants to dig in all the
    way to the bottom of the body, the strap button end, then you're putting too much angle
    in this plane. Mine usually work out around 1.2-1.4 degrees..ish.

2. ExNihilo

ExNihilo Senior Member

It's accurate enough. As long as you don't start the pickup plane underneath your fret board, you are OK. 1/16th-1/8th inch give or take is fine.

You could also use your plans (Bartlett, StewMac, Catto etc.)

3. nuance97

nuance97 Premium Member

Yes to the above. You just need a rough approximation of the end of the fretboard, and from that add a little wiggle space so you can be positive you don't start it under the board. 1/8-1/2" would be fine. It's really not that critical. And don't get so hung up on the "1.2-1.4 degree" number. As long as you start your puckup plane somewhere near the end of the fb and end it somewhere beyond the bridge pickup then the geometry will work.

4. RobStark

RobStark Member

Thanks to all for the replies. Helpful!

5. xroadie_jim

xroadie_jim Senior Member

Beautiful work. He needs to do that car next...

6. gplayer

gplayer Junior Member

Here is the carve template I will use in case anyone wants to try, it is not my work so I'm not taking any credits for it it's just a re-traced version of Scott's carve template set that includes the second version with the straight lines as he mentioned a while ago, if this breaks any rules or is inappropriate in any way I apologize in advance, take a look and let me know if it needs any changes.

Attached Files:

7. kevin walsh

kevin walsh Junior Member

Hi Jon,
    I too am new to this forum and I'm going to have a go at building my first guitar, a Les Paul. However I cannot find how to download Scott's templates. It may be that this and related posts are too old. If you managed to download them and you still have them can I get a copy from you please. Live in South Wales and am about to retire in 6 weeks time so looking forward to this project. Best regards. Kevin

8. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

The pdf right above your post works for me.

9. Brewdude

Brewdude Senior Member

That may not be visible to new members... Kevin I'd suggest you start a new thread with maybe an introduction and try to get 5 or 10 posts so you are eligible to download files and get private messages from members. Or post your email address, probably obscured a bit to avoid spam (kevin at gmail dot com for example) and I can send you the carve PDF if you can't download it from above...

10. kevin walsh

kevin walsh Junior Member

Many thanks I will do as you suggest.