ExNihilo Vintage Burst Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ExNihilo, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Mike K

Mike K Senior Member

Where have all the build pics gone?

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

He's probably changed his photobucket account. As soon as you do this the pictures can't be sourced.

3. ExNihilo

ExNihilo Senior Member

That's a good question. I have no idea what happened to my pictures. I haven't chnged anything...

4. bhmcintosh

bhmcintosh Les Pauls, Telcasters, and 12strings Premium Member

:eek: (*CRINGE*) I'm pretty sure we can all guess, and I'm equally sure we'd all be physically ill if our guesses were verified!

5. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Senior Member

Scott, it looks like Photobucket limits you not by how much space you're taking for your pics but by the amount of bandwidth used up by people viewing them(?). It says you need to upgrade to Plus.
    Lame Photobucket. :(

6. buyusfear

buyusfear V.I.P. Member

The bandwidth limit resets every month. Pics wil be viewable eventually.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mike K

Mike K Senior Member

im about to build 4 flametops and this was my go to site. damn wanted those pics.

8. marijnsloth

marijnsloth Senior Member

The files received too much traffic, they'll be back up after the limit passes. Don't know for sure what the timeframe is, but I'm guessing a month.

9. todd4946

todd4946 Junior Member

Sorry if I missed it in the thread, but I didn't see how you cut the 4 deg. neck angle into the neck mortise (or on the heel). Did you use your box/hinge jig for the mortise? Thanks!

10. Shandog

Shandog Senior Member

Use the mortise template set on the 4 degree angle that's already on the body. If I remember correctly he used 2 tiny finishing nails on each side to hold it in place. The holes get covered by the fret board later You'll also have to use clamps and some scraps underneath to stabilize the template against the body.

BTW... What happened to the Bartlett LP build sticky thread?

11. todd4946

todd4946 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I thought he routed the neck plane after the mortise and contours. Maybe I missed that bit, but that would work (route neck plane on body, then mortise, then contours). Thanks again

12. todd4946

todd4946 Junior Member

Woops, i stand corrected. :doh: you are of course correct - i went back and checked and the neck plane was routed first.

1 person likes this.
  13. Shandog

Shandog Senior Member

Neck plane/ pickup plane/ neck mortise/ pickup routes.

Remember that the pickup routes are still follow the neck plane....but lay where you routed the body know as the "pickup plane".

14. todd4946

todd4946 Junior Member

Thanks again Shandog. Do you (or does anyone) know why the control cavity is routed at an angle? (Pg. 9) Is this required to seat the pots perpendicular to the carve and/or to make the pot holes perfect circles? I'd never noticed this detail before.

15. Stephmon

Stephmon Senior Member

The control cavity angle levels the clearance between the pots and the carve. It doesn't impact the shaft holes, as they are perpendicular to the pre-carve plane, rather than the carve.

16. todd4946

todd4946 Junior Member

Ah, I get it now, Thanks!

17. gplayer

gplayer Junior Member

I don't know if this is the way the carve template is supossed to look now or if someone else has posted the updated version already, anyways this is the one I'll be using if I can't find an updated version.

Attached Files:

18. ExNihilo

ExNihilo Senior Member

Yes, that is correct.

1 person likes this.
  19. RobStark

RobStark Member

Can someone please help me understand? I keep hearing that you start your pickup plane where the fretboard ends but how do you know where the fretboard will end exactly as this stage in the build? I mean, sure I know that the fretboard meets the body around the 16th fret, but just placing the fretboard on the guitar at the 16th fret can't be all that accurate of a measurement right? How is is that one determines where EXACTLY the fretboard will end on the body? Do you have to have the neck and fingerboard finished at this stage in order to determine where to start your pickup plane????

Thanks

20. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

You should know the length of your fret board and you know the dimension from the nut to the 16th fret. Therefore you know the dimension from the edge of the body to where your fret board ends. Just mark a pencil line where that is and use the quote you included.

Cheers Peter.