ExNihilo Vintage Burst Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ExNihilo, Jan 21, 2011.

1. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Banned

He may also have made a (ply) template from his other template.

1 person likes this.
  2. nuance97

nuance97 Premium Member

deleted

1 person likes this.
  3. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

You want exact, buy real. You want to make "restorations" based on a guy's plan? That sounds like you want to make copies. As a guy that has been at the repair bench for 35 years, I have NEVER needed a template to do a restoration. I HAVE needed templates to build new guitars.

I have several real 50's Les Pauls here, and none of them line up with another.

My opinion, worth what you paid for it.

6 people like this.
  4. johnP-90

johnP-90 Senior Member

5. nuance97

nuance97 Premium Member

deleted

1 person likes this.
  6. crazygtr

crazygtr Senior Member

"The guitar was being converted so my luthier ran a router around it to get a perfect shape and then started in on measurements"

I'm sorry but your "luthier" is a jerk, nobody responsible enough and in his right mind would risk a real 50's to that. JMHO.

7. Murkar

Murkar Senior Member

I'd take an Ex-Nihilo burst over a new Gibson any day of the week.....!

5 people like this.
  8. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Banned

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:
    you have NO idea...
    :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

You should have SEEN what the Gibson R&D boys did to those vintage guitars..

I was there during the 100th year anniversary when they went to NAMM and announced the first of the Historic collection Super 400s.. They sold out in 30 minutes.
    they didn't even know HOW to build a Super 400 just a year earlier.
    betcha can't guess how they "learned"

1 person likes this.
  9. crazygtr

crazygtr Senior Member

:Ohno:

1 person likes this.
  10. Kenty1983

Kenty1983 Senior Member

Fantastic build, I'm in the midst of trying my own build. What size does the carve template print out on?

11. Murkar

Murkar Senior Member

Take it to a print shop and have it printed there at full size (ask for blueprint rate if you go to Staples or the like, which is like $0.50/sqare foot), they should be able to print it at 1:1 scale (the prints are 1:1 scale). If you do make sure to measure known dimensions lengthwise and across the body to make sure it has been printed at the right scale (they printed some for me at 110% size, which wasn't that noticeable until I made the drive all the way home and measured).

12. Kenty1983

Kenty1983 Senior Member

Thank you Murkar, im currently trying a junior special with standard plans and changing bits here and there but think my neck angle is wrong and may need to try a standard les Paul instead.

13. Hartracer

Hartracer Senior Member

This post needs to be sticky'd lol

14. Set-Neck

Set-Neck Banned

My apologies to alk-3. My statement wasn't to ward others off to a set of good templates or drag anyone's name through any dirt, it was my frustration in using them for restorations. I ordered them thinking they were the templates used to make Bartlett guitars. Which by the way are very good, i've owned 3 so far and they are very much like 50s guitars. I have compared all sorts of 50s guitars up to the mid 70s and the anomalies are hundredths of an inch in terms of dimensions, not as macroscopic as you say. Is there a different version of templates? What's the right way to go? Maybe that was my gripe, anyway, they are very good templates and the guy makes very good guitars.

15. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

I would like to know why you need templates for restorations?? If you have measured "all sorts" of guitars from the 50's to the 70's and they are "hundredths of an inch off", why don't you just use one of those tracings as a template?

Why don't you start your own separate thread?

Cheers Peter

16. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 Senior Member

Quick question. I've watched several new builders struggle with neck angles. What is the proper way to determine the neck angle. I see the dim. called out at 4 degrees or similar, but is that relative to the uncarved top, the flat spots for pickup and neck or the back, which started off parallel to the uncarved top? Most of the threads I've found sort of skim over the neck setting process and focus on refining the fit and glue up.

If this is an obvious answer and I've missed it, go easy.

I'm quickly gathering up tools, plans and materials. This is going to be a very busy summer building season. I have 3 guitar dreams (335-ish, Tele and archtop) , 2 furniture projects, 3 cigar box guitars and more to build, plus jigs and templates. It's gonna be interesting to see what September looks like :fingersx:

I know the CBGs and the tele are going to happen. I'm holding out to see what Precision comes up with for the 335-ish. The archtop maybe a year to 18 mo. thing. I'm talking with Jason Combs about it. He lives near me and has invited me to his shop. I have a Heritage Super Eagle he wants to measure.

http://www.combsinstruments.com

[​IMG]

Keep building them and I'll keep watching.:dude:

17. LC100

LC100 Senior Member

You could cheat and just use this: Neck Angle Calculator - The Tundra Man Workshop

The explanations are there in more detail.

18. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 Senior Member

19. timsledge

timsledge Junior Member

how could i get those updated carve templates?

20. DoneOne

DoneOne Senior Member