Examples of PAF pickups that sound like a tele

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by bassmannlespaulman, May 11, 2016.

1. bassmannlespaulman

bassmannlespaulman Senior Member

I've heard it many times....guys saying his guitar sounded like a tele on steroids...or that very early 1957 PAF were modeled to sound noiseless p-90s or teles....I could be toroidal wrong. ...

Maybe I'm confusing it with telecaster clarity. .I think mommy page was referred to having that tone from his les paul...help me out guys

1 person likes this.
  2. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member

:rofl: If that wasn't intentional, you have the funniest luck! If it was intentional, your humor is genius!

A toroidal pickup would be difficult to install. lol!

AbbeSauniere, DarrellV, parts and 3 others like this.
  3. afranke

afranke Senior Member

there are quite a few low wind paf clones that will give that tele on steroids sound.
    doyle coils does it with the neck and middle position.i think Tyson tone ttl-1 set also does it. although I personally prefer hotter paf 's its nice to have at least one lower wind set for certain types of playing.

bassmannlespaulman and Wraptail like this.
  4. JWLee

JWLee Member

5. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Senior Member

I heard that as well but it is rarely clarified "which" Tele tone is to be referred to. I believe it is the Broadcaster/Nocaster tone, which is warmer than the later twangier Tele pickups. My experience is that if you try to turn a Les Paul too far into the Tele camp it loses everything.

Cheers Stephan

6. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  7. cooljuk

Ah! How about Keef! Yes, that's a good one. He's made both Les Pauls sound like Teles and Teles sound like Les Pauls.

I think Sultans of Swing sound like a Tele, but I don't think it was PAFs (sure wasn't a Start though!) Early P-90s, I believe.

If you want a PAF influenced pickup (but not PAF-accurate) than a hand-wound humbucker with a very high coil offset and A2/A3 magnet would be a good place to start. You won't NAIL it unless you use a single coil wrapped around magnets, but for a humbucker with "that vibe", this would get you moving in the right direction.

8. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Sorry, can't really help :(

I think it's much easier to make a Tele sound like a Les Paul (PAF), than it is to make a Les Paul sound like a Tele.

My Tele came with a neck SD minihumbucker stock, and I put in an SD L'il 59 into the bridge. It sounds far more like the sound I associate with a Les Paul than my two Les Pauls do :).

9. cooljuk

I don't know much about Patricia, Jimmy's mum, but with Jimmy's sound the pickups and electronics are only one important ingredient of many. Other very important factors are the amp and playing style. Especially playing style. Page plays near the bridge with a soft pick and thin strings, for one, but there's more to it than that and I don't claim to be a master of that technique, but other members here actually are and could help there. Jesse Costa comes to mind!

The PAFs in his #1 LP (talking BEFORE the swap to a T-Top in 1972) are actually pretty dark sounding, as far as PAFs go, particularly the neck, but he never played it on 10 and played though bright, high-headroom rigs, turning that "dark" into "vocal resonance" and the 50's wiring helps to scoop away some unwanted frequencies. You can hear how dark of a pickup it really is on some of the live material, where he switches over to the neck with the volume on 10 (presumably accidentally) and then quickly catches himself and rolls it back. Before he rolls it back, it sounds like the amp is going to cough up its speakers and die. Bassy, flabby and just devastating. ...then he plays all that pretty clean singing chimy stuff and you just scratch your head.

I don't want to overlook the presumably resonant and vocal qualities of the Burst itself, either. Not that modern guitars can't have that, but it's a part of the whole sound.

yamariv likes this.
  10. cooljuk

One more though on the topic, then I must get back to work...

You CAN put Tele or Strat pickups in a Les Paul and it DOES make it sound MUCH more like a Tele or Strat. Not completely, of course, but it's much more effective than you might expect and absolutely possible. I think most would just get a Tele or Start though. :dunno:

Ah, and in the studio, Jimmy did have one other trick that he used to make it sound like he was playing a Tele. ...he played a Tele.

11. SpareRibs

SpareRibs Senior Member

Hello,
    MIXING BOARD !!!!!!

12. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

the dire straits sultan of swing???

that was definitely a strat. the only debate that still goes on is what pickups were in it. knopfler (i believe) has mentioned two possibilities, but in either event, they are/were strats.

1 person likes this.
  13. cooljuk

Maybe I'm wrong, then. It sure sounds fat for a Strat and I though I had been told it was a goltop.

14. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

dude, sultans of swing is one of the most iconic strat tracks ever recorded. :) you sure you ain't confusing that with gilmour's solo on "another brick in the wall"? which was done with a gold top.

1 person likes this.
  15. Stowburst

Stowburst V.I.P. Member

its a Strat into 61 Vibrolux position 2 or 4, I think 4 myself. I LOVE MK. have same amp its amazing

1 person likes this.
  16. Kostas.

Kostas. Senior Member

Let the TONE do the talking​

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-duj8uNLdjs[/ame]

17. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

The 50's Broadcaster/Nocaster era pickups were higher output than then the average tele & nothing earpiercing & icepicky at all ,Don't think HOT they were more warm,mellow & some had a deeper tone to them (one's wound with the smaller 43 gauge wire ) they can sound quite close to a PAF style pickup .

Pop1655 and bassmannlespaulman like this.
  18. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Senior Member

I'm pretty certain it was a Strat in the #2 (bridge/middle) position. I don't know what amp was used. When I play the song, I find that a Blackface amp sounds too thin, and a tweed or Bassman type amp gets me much closer as it fattens up the sound. I also want to say that I've read (somewhere...I forget...so don't take this as gospel) that Mark Knopfler used a bit of compression as he doesn't use a pick. So that may have fattened up the sound a bit, too.

EDIT: I missed Stowburst's post about the amp being a '61 Vibrolux.

19. Mustard Caps

Mustard Caps Senior Member

While I don't have clips, Ive often stated that my Tom Holmes with reverse neck magnet in the middle position, with both volumes rolled back to 7 or less is very Tele like.

IMHO it sounds exactly like the opening part on Stevie Wonders Superstition... The Clavinet. Very clean, clear, and out quacks my Strat.

20. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

the out of phase sound is a completely different animal than what is being discussed in this thread. and terminology is funny.

to me, quack = positions 2 and 4 in a strat.
    chirp = any two pickup (standard phase, standard geometry) with both pickups engaged.
    honk = any two pickup out of phase setting in middle position.

i'm sure there's some strat wiring options where you could get the bridge and neck pickups at the same time, but that's not standard. at that point, you'd be able to get a chirp from a strat. :) but only if wired parallel.