Ex-Nihilo's 2nd LP Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ExNihilo, Mar 24, 2009.

1. possumkiller

possumkiller Senior Member

My grandpa did that and lost a couple fingertips. He didnt video it though. He wasnt that freaked out either. It was pretty crazy because I could pick pieces of fingernail and bone out of the tablesaw. He left the bloodstains on it to remind him to use a pusher.

LOL thats a fake thumb glued to the board though. I think that guy just wanted to prank his wife.

2. blues.junior

blues.junior Senior Member

Hey Scott, one of the most beautiful works of art I've ever seen. Hats-off to you. Congrats!!! :applause:

3. 73Custom

73Custom Senior Member

4. ExNihilo

ExNihilo Senior Member

It use to come in a box. I can't get the kind I want anymore. Only Walmart sells it and they sell the version that has a fiber mesh in it (which I do not like). You might have to test out a few different versions until you find what works best.

5. 73Custom

73Custom Senior Member

thanks for the reply...

not sure i searched well enough on the DUCK brand website, cuz now I found under DIY tapes, this carpet tape page...

any of these close?

Carpet tapes, hold-it rug tape, seaming tape and more from Duck® brand

6. ExNihilo

ExNihilo Senior Member

Whichever doesn't have a mesh in it.

7. 73Custom

73Custom Senior Member

ok...

thanks again...

8. flyingvguy

flyingvguy Member

this was a very cool thread... love the les paul build. excellent workmanship and attention to detail. i want a classic les paul styled flying v... :slash:

Attached Files:

9. jonny

jonny Senior Member

10. scratcharello

scratcharello Junior Member

Hi Ex-Nihilo,
    I just finished my own build as well. I did the exact same thing with a set of stewmac pickup rings (painted with a GM cream paint) and they look great I still need to age them.

Your guitar turned out great by the way, very nice!

Here is a picture of mine.

Attached Files:

11. scratcharello

scratcharello Junior Member

Hey Ex-Nihilo
    How do you like the Sheptone Tributes? I am waiting for a set to arrive.

12. nuance97

nuance97 Premium Member

I really love mine, but I'd be curious what ex thought about his.

Mine are the "Blue Sky" set with the repro bobbins. I don't know how much difference the repro bobbins make, but the pickups do sound great!

13. ExNihilo

ExNihilo Senior Member

I cannot claim to be a pickup guru, because I do not have a wide range of experience in that area. Someone like Greg could better answer your question. Having said that I will say that I use them in all my guitars. I am really looking forward to the next set because they are going to have new vintage reproduction bobbins that Shep says really puts them over the top tone wise.

Sincerely, Scott

14. jonesy77777

jonesy77777 Senior Member

vintage reproduction "bobbins" affect the tone quality??? I'm kinda curious about that, do you know what the differences are and how they could affect tone?

15. ExNihilo

ExNihilo Senior Member

Here is what Shep said to me when I inquired about the status of my last order:

"I really wish I had the new butyrate bobbins to use for that guitar...they look so real (even un-aged) you won't believe it. They sound even better too, something about the resonance of the butyrate, and the correct geometry.

The mold is finished and I have received samples...but they are all gone already. 2-3 weeks and I'll have thousands of them if you wanted to wait? completely up to you

shep"

16. alk-3

alk-3 MLP Sponsor

I have the new ones. I can't comment on their tone being any different, but they look great, sound even better, and shep is a fantastic guy to deal with. His wait times are long, but he's totally up front about it so there are no suprises.
    I've used them in all my guitars for a long time, and everyone I show them too become devoted as well, including Scott apparently:dude:

also, Kim and Kevin over at retro-spec carry them, which is a huge endorsment, as Kim is one of the foremost vintage guitar guys out there.

17. Metamatic

Metamatic Senior Member

A little bit strange but Retro-spec is quite much cheaper on the Sheptone Tributes than Shep. Also shipping to Europe is much cheaper.

18. theodoropoulos

theodoropoulos Senior Member

scott i have the same image in my guitar ,it looks like the same ...so,how do you call this little "pimple"-spots like surface..it does not look like orange peel to me.and what causes this phenomenon?

Attached Files:

19. alk-3

alk-3 MLP Sponsor

hmmm. We must be looking at different pages. They seem to be both the same price ($229).

20. Metamatic

Metamatic Senior Member

After a closer look I found out that I picked the wrong item :rolleyes: My bad.