EVH Striped Series Worth It?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by BenjaminW, Jul 23, 2017.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

Build your own like he did. Probably cost you about $100.

2. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

I just sold my Black and White EVH for $550, it was like brand new and it even had a Hard Fender Case. I tried to sell it on Craigslist for 5 months, starting at $800 OBO with the case. I brought it down to $700 and even $600 with no bites. Finally when I was selling two of my other guitars, some guy purchased it with the other 2 of my guitars that he will re-sell on Ebay and Reverb. The EVH did not have any bottom end with the stock pickup and I ended up not liking the way the jack was setup, I like the jack on the bottom of the guitar like the Yellow and Black or RWB one.

Anyway, I just purchased a Charvel San Dimas to replace the EVH, which has the volume/tone knob as well as 2 pickups and coil tapping. A nice 80's rock machine as well as some versatility with the coil tapping, giving it a nice strat sound.

The EVH did feel and play very well though, very smooth and easy to move around the neck where the d-tuna worked flawlessly as well. I did get one lemon though from Sweetwater for my first Black and White, but the second one was flawless.

KS 5150 likes this.
  3. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

I think everyone needs at least one 80's Super Strat!

The EVH Striped, Charvel So Cal, or Charvel San Dimas are really good affordable choices. Anyone of these you can dive bomb and it comes back in perfect tune, very fun to play and jam on.

4. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher Premium Member

I love how he filled the other two cavities with a mock switch __ and pickup

Frankenstein_WEB.jpg

not to mention those strap eyelets

5. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Cosmetics are never worth it from the standpoint of function, so it's strictly a personal thing in that regard. I love Van Halen, but since I don't find the stripes all that appealing, and since they're completely identified with one single unique human being, I wouldn't got there myself.

rjwilson37 likes this.
  6. joff

joff Senior Member

I have the B&W EVH Striped Series prototype which was used at NAMM and at Musikfest in 2013...i bought it from a Fender UK tech...he added a chrome switch to split the humbucker and it works a treat!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Custom53 likes this.
  7. Veeing Fly

Veeing Fly Senior Member

When I've played them at GC, they have been very solid builds and good players. HowEVER, if you can find a Kramer Focus 1000 (which can be had around $3-400) you'll be well along to a legit EVH-inspired model, just minus the stripes. Again, however:

Just like Veeing Fly's Wine Red Flying V!

8. KS 5150

KS 5150 Senior Member

That's been pretty much my experience with selling my R/B/W Striped Series. Ended up getting $550 after starting off looking for $800....I think they're saturated in the market. Pretty much anyone who wants one already has one. Oh well, it will help fund a Kramer 5150 relic I'm having built....NGD soon!

rjwilson37 likes this.
  9. Campbell

Campbell Senior Member

Funny, if that wasn't EVH's guitar...and we've never heard nor seen of a EVH, but rather, this was just some guy at this forum who posted this pic, proudly proclaiming he just did this awesome mod to his guitar...imagine the response he'd have been given.

10. Custom53

Custom53 Senior Member

They are Great Guitars.. I bought one, although I don't care for the colors, people expect to hear Eddie when you walk out on stage with one. But for $650 it was well worth it.. 006.JPG

KS 5150 likes this.