EVH Striped Series Worth It?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by BenjaminW, Jul 23, 2017.

1. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Member

Been wanting to get one of these guitars for a while so I figured I'd ask you guys for your opinions on these guitars. I'm thinking of getting either the white and black one since I have mixed feelings about the R/B/W one. But anyways, post your opinions down below and let me know what you think of them.

Who likes this.
  2. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

I love the look. They are probably slightly overpriced, as a guitar. You're buying the finish and the licensing.

If it were me, I'd make my own (which I have).

If you can find a used one, it will probably hold its value.

And, if you buy the B&W, you're only a roll of tape and a can of red spray paint away from B/R/W, if you change your mind.

Not everyone knows they were the same guitar.

3. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Member

There was a video I saw on YouTube where this guy made an exact replica of the R/B/W for less than $300 dollars but I would go through living hell to find some of the parts like the 1971 quarter, truck reflectors, and cigarettes especially since I'm too young to buy cigarettes but I'm not a luthier or anything although I wish I was.

4. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

The EVH Wolfgang that's $999 with a regular finish is almost $1600 with the striped finish.

That just shows you the premium they put on that look.

5. TheDevice

TheDevice Senior Member

Hey, I love mine. I have two white striped series, used one to record the lead on the song below. Wish they had a neck pickup though, so I grabbed a Fender Dave Murray - LOVE IT!

6. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

if you weren't dead-set on getting a striped or signature guitar, I would go with a Charvel

[​IMG]

7. studio1087

studio1087 Senior Member

I recently bought myself two Birthday gifts; the two EVH items in this photo......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a whole lot of fun. The quality on the guitar is very good. It sounds Brown as brown can be. The D-Tuna works very well. It takes me back to high school every time that I hold it and it always makes me smile. It intonates extremely well. I admire people who can paint these things but I have neither the patience or skills to do it. I can't say enough about the tone and feel and fun. I was torn between the red one and the black & yellow one which was buried with Dimebag Daryl but the black and white one was the first one which makes it very special.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  8. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Member

Awesome guitar and amp! My only big downside with the R/B/W guitar is that it feels too similar to the Kramer that Eddie used but hey, it's not like it's gonna be the exact replica like I wish it was.

studio1087 likes this.
  9. Petergrifindor

Petergrifindor Senior Member

I LOVE MINE.

Wonderful guitar, very well made, sounds great and very easy to play.

studio1087 likes this.
  10. revtime

revtime Senior Member

One pickup? One knob? For that kind of money I better get 2 pickups and 2 knobs. Although they did throw in the D tuna.

11. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Member

You can blame Eddie for that but still a nice guitar nonetheless

artis_xe likes this.
  12. zamdrang

zamdrang Member

I have played a few of these, I thought they felt great and I got some nice tones out of them. The thick plasticky finish really turned me off. Should have painted them and left them just like Ed did, its already a knock off of a famous guitar.. but any chance of evh mojo is smothered under that thick layer of poly imo. I cant help but wonder if they wouldn't sound better in the raw as well...but thats another debate...

My brother built one out of a ebay squier that plays and sounds terrific, i'll bet he didnt spend $250 on the whole project.

13. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

IDK....I always felt if your gonna have that guitar you better be a damn good player. I'm not.

14. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

I just saw a B&W striped EVH in the members classified section. Price didn't look to bad either.

15. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

16. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

17. howlermonkey

howlermonkey Senior Member

The Dtuna works best when you have the tremolo springs stong enough to keep the tremolo against the body instead of floating.

Might want to check these guys out.

18. Campbell

Campbell Senior Member

I would not feel comfortable playing a guitar with a look that is so identified with a specific player.
    They come with some really big shoes to fill.

I've got a PRS Bernie Marsden and a Tommy "Yeah, I know he's not Ace" Thayer White Lightning Les Paul,
    but neither really makes people think of those guys when you hit the stage. The Van Halen striped model, a Buddy Guy polka dot Strat, or a B. B. King Lucile ES, etc. will ultimately lead some folks to hold you to a certain standard.
    So, be ready for that!

Veeing Fly and Who like this.
  19. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

It's doable. Parts off the internet are easier to find than you'd think. Can't make it authentic for $300 though.

Here is a photo of one I built as well as the new owner on stage with it at Red Rocks:

PS: he added a functional neck pickup and a push-pull switch. It originally had the dummy neck pickup.

image (1).png Frank Rocks #2 2.jpg

BenjaminW and Who like this.
  20. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Member

Beautiful guitar.