EVH Has Jumped the Shark

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Bud Stoner, Jan 22, 2019.

1. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

Why didnt he just drop it off at a luthier to put it back to stock......probably a 2 or 3 piece body anyway. Pretty easy fix.

2. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

Ed seemed to see all of these kinds of things as experimentation and learning. That's how he came up with the Frankenstrat. With this, he did all of his own work and employed all of his own (often awkward) ideas. Emotional connection to any one guitar didn't seem to exist for him. He'd try something, then if it didn't work he'd learn from it and move on. The Destroyer was very far from the only guitar he destroyed.

This can even be seen in old photos of the Frankenstrat. There were many different necks installed on that guitar - some were seemingly ridiculous. But he was always wondering what would happen if he tried something different, even if it was kind of strange. The dummy wiring, 5-way switch and disconnected, dummy neck pickup to make people think that was the secret to his tone is another example.

He was also never terribly concerned with the esthetics of his guitars beyond his trademark stripes. Wear and tear was a good thing. As beautiful as his EBMM sigs were, he just used and abused them. Michael Anthony even recounted once that Ed was frustrated that Mike had a bass that looked too beautiful - figured wood, nice finish, no wear. So he grabbed it from Mike and made gouges in the front of it with a screwdriver. Mike was pissed, but the damage was done.

Back in the day, this is something that made EVH who he was. It was an awkward learning curve, but he never really adhered to conventional... anything, if he could help it.

DarthPaul and Who like this.
  3. stringbender11

stringbender11 Senior Member

I first started playing around the time VH became big, and it's hard to overstate the impact EVH himself had on music - every player I knew wanted to sound like him, and he introduced a completely different style of rock guitar that influenced countless players and styles of music. Even today you hear influences of his style in many players.

But that said, I think he kind of became an embarrassment. That whole publicized falling out he had with several former band-mates was really petty, imo. Also his constant lying in interviews - like the chainsaw remark - is a huge turn-off to me.

As far as EVH guitars go, they should've just stuck with making their original design and improving on that - which is a great design, imo - instead of releasing goofy re-makes of the crazy designs Eddie used to play back in his youth. I personally can't stand signature guitars anyway, but his are particularly awful.

He was/is a great player, but I think money and fame to a large extent ruined his legacy. JMO of course.

Gtarzan81 and Who like this.
  4. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

The Shark is iconic.

Would I buy it? No.

He's admitted he ruined it. Still a cool guitar And from what I've read, most everything that didn't require a whammy, was recorded with that guitar (before the mod).

His problems stem from the fact, he was a raging alcoholic, most of his life. That's how they act.

Gtarzan81 and DarthPaul like this.
  5. BornToLooze

BornToLooze Senior Member

It's just like one thing I read, he was trying to dip pickups in wax to kill feedback and he destroyed a bunch of old PAFs trying to get it just right.

If everybody played it safe, rock and roll wouldn't be a thing.

Sometimes it just works out. My Les Paul Junior GAS comes from waking up with a bad hangover and a Washburn Idol with a Phat Cat in the bridge and a Les Paul with a missing neck pickup.

hbucker likes this.
  6. OldBenKenobi

OldBenKenobi Senior Member

I would be all over a Striped series guitar if it didn't have the goofy paintjob.

Sadly, Charvel doesn't seem interesting in making guitars like that anymore.

7. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

Luckily this style of guitar is about the easiest to put together yourself with Warmoth parts and a Wolfgang pickup, if you're motivated. It wouldn't necessarily cost much different than the Charvel version either, and you can customize it to your likes.

FWIW :thumbs:

Bud Stoner and DarthPaul like this.
  8. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Premium Member

A roasted maple neck would be sweet!

hbucker likes this.
  9. OldBenKenobi

That's the plan. :thumbs:

Just wish I knew a place to get finished Charvel-accurate bodies. Warmoth sells finished bodies but they ruin them with the big kidney bean cavity in the back.

Bud Stoner likes this.
  10. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

:hmm: I'm not clear about what you're referring to as the "kidney bean" cavity. I'm only thinking of the standard trem spring route. Teach me. :cool2:

I'd be shocked if you couldn't find a Charvel body someplace on the interweb.

11. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

I have ALWAYS like the looks of these guitars, and fancied myself owning one or more, along with the Soldano.

But I have never liked how ANY of them sounded in my hands.

Probably more of an indictment of my own playing rather than their quality.

12. Bud Stoner

The Stratosphere always has Charvel bodies and necks in stock, loaded or just the body.

Here's a link straight to the Charvel parts on the site:

https://stratosphereparts.com/search.php?search_query=charvel

13. BornToLooze

BornToLooze Senior Member

Last time I looked at building a Warmoth it wound up being almost twice what my Charvel cost. If you're okay with not having a Fender headstock, the old Model series is worth a look. When I bought mine, I had to rebuild the bridge and I bought a pot and jack so I can rewire it, and I think it was still under $600.

14. OldBenKenobi

On rear rout bodies Warmoth uses a very large control cavity:

[​IMG]

Charvel traditionally uses their own unique cavity shape:

[​IMG]

KNE and USACG will build a Charvel body but they don't offer finishing.

I plan on using a Charvel neck from them, but I don't like the recessed Floyd Roses the bodies use. The MIA and MIJ Pro-Mods weren't recessed but the MIMs are. I'm also not a fan of the current control configuration on the San Dimas bodies, I'm all about the one knob/one switch.

To me this is what Charvel is all about:

[​IMG]

But sadly (IMO) Charvel just keeps moving further and further away from that style and into realms that (IMO) are already well served by sister brand Jackson.

Bud Stoner, hbucker and Who like this.
  15. Bud Stoner

I see where you're coming from, and I agree with you that they have changed quite a lot in the last decade that I was around them in a retail environment.

The USA went to Japan and people freaked, then freaked on the MIMs who then desired the Japanese model that they hated until the recessed Floyd models.

It would be nice to have the choice of both, but the manufacturing process costs and benefits/risks and sales figures/marketing strategies will probably drive any decision going that route.

But that white San Dimas in the pic looks the biz though.