EVH 5150III LBXII

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by jw3571, Sep 15, 2017.

1. jw3571

jw3571 Senior Member

Anyone have this lunchbox amp? If so how are people liking it? I only play in my basement so i'd be playing only on 3 watt mode. How does it sound at lower volumes, do you still need to crank it to make it sound good. I mostly play 80's rock, GNR, Van Halen, etc. I also play some Metallica, how would this amp be for my uses?

2. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Have you looked at the Bogner Atma?

Also the Dirty Shirley Mini?

Good luck.

:cheers2:

3. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

your genres and mine have a lot of overlap... I went through a dozen small tube amps trying to find the perfect fit.

first off:
    I played one of the gen 1 LBX at my local, favorite guitar shop... if you want cleans, forget it on the gen1. but the new one is supposed to finally have a true clean channel... but at 3w mode, you probably won't have a ton of headroom... meaning you MAY have to switch back to 15 to get the cleans... not a big deal. other than that, it's a great little amp, I'm sure... if it's like the gen 1. I'm sure the gen 2 is great.

but I would suggest the same as I have... 6505MH. you get a 1/5/20w selector, plus headphone out(which is very good, btw). plus a lot of other options and features that amps this size just DON'T have... you might even like the Valveking version of the mini-head better... if you aren't doing modern metal, you don't need the lead channel on the 6505... it's all the 'clean' and 'crunch' channels... and for a VH type tone, you are going to LOVE the crunch channel... it's actually an amazing channel... it can go almost clean, yet stay punchy, then go to 'Slayer' with the gain set at '7'... and you still have 7-10 for 'more'... it also has reverb, which is very usable, and the resonance/presence controls are both on the front... I hate tone controls being on the back of an amp...

admittedly, the clean channel never got 100%, "fender" clean... and that's the only reason I moved away from it... my most regular "gig" with the amp was church, so I needed a channel that took pedals well and stayed CLEAN... the 6505MH didn't... maybe with a strat it might have, but even then, I doubt it... I couldn't even get it superclean with the PRS, in a strat-like position 4, (similar to that neck-middle strat sound) and the volume down

the friedman above, ALSO warrants consideration...
    others to consider:
    tubemeister 18 (or even the 5, but the 18 just sounds better and gives you more options)
    DSL 15H
    Orange rocker 15 (LOVE this amp, and it fits perfect for the genre you describe)
    even the OR15 and TT fit well for that 80s tone... but the TT doesn't have the gain for metallica, without boosting it with an overdrive pedal

also, if you can find one in your price range, you might luck onto a SL-5, or a mini jubilee

one more thing, in your shoes, if you only need super small wattage tube anyway (basement)
    don't immediately dismiss small modellers like the THR10X (2 VH type channels, and you can download a ton of patches that NAIL VH tones)

for me, I needed something that can do dripping wet ambient cleans on sunday, and jam anything from Led Zep to Sabbath, to Slayer on saturdays... I went with a helix and a PA speaker... and am blown away DAILY by how good it sounds, headphone, PA, FOH, or even low volume PA speakers or studio monitors at home...

4. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Had both Peavey's. The VK II's clean is a very good clean, albeit Marshallesque clean. The, 6505 was merely useable.

Rhust likes this.
  5. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

yep, if I hadn't gone over to the dark side, I was looking at either ADDING a VK, or replacing the 6505 with a mesa Mk5:25, or the Grandmeister 40 deluxe

6. jw3571

jw3571 Senior Member

Thanks for the recommendations. I actually own an SL5 which I like but it's still pretty damn loud, and can't really nail the Metallica type tone without a pedal.