ESP LTD EC-1000 Amber Sunburst

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Epiphone_LesPaul, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Epiphone_LesPaul

Epiphone_LesPaul Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Damn, that is one sexy guitar! I am thinking about getting a Korean made one. What do you guys think?

GammyBird likes this.
  2. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

Get it if you like it.

I think the abalone all over the fretboard looks horrible and the thinner body on the Eclipses never looked right to me.

3. LTigh

LTigh Member

Edwards E-MA is a far better deal if you can find one. Looking around, you can usually find one for around the price of an EC-1000, but you gotta shop around.

[​IMG]

Got one on a lark through Rakuten, put it up against the EC-1000 I had at the time.

I still have the Edwards, the EC-1000 went to a better home.

[​IMG]

4. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I like the look of those. If you want lees abalone, get the 401.

5. T00DEEPBLUE

Unfortunately the 401-series LTD's are not as well made as the 1000 series. They're made in different factories (indo made for the 401's, WMI for the 1000's)

6. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

What aspects of the construction make them not as well made?

7. T00DEEPBLUE

They're made in a different factory with less strict quality control in my experience. I've played the old 400 series LTD's before when they were still made in Korea alongside the 1000 series and they were just better guitars. Better fretwork, better attention to detail in terms of inlay filler (I.E less of it), better finishes (much less overspray on the binding), and even rosewood fretboards that are more tightly grained than the current 401's.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    tzd, pillbug and Rocco Crocco like this.
  8. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

Actually I played 3 or 4 variations of this model and they were all different.

I ended up with the LTD EC1000 and it was either AHB (amber honey burst) or VHB (vintage honey burst). It was just like the one you pictured except it might not have had the pearl neck binding, I can't remember. (Update: it's exactly like the one LTigh pictured)

Anyway, it was MIK and after I replaced the zebra Duncans (which didn't sound right to me) with EMGs it greatly improved the sound. As far as quality and playability it was great, as long as you like ebony and tall jumbo frets.

I went on to buy an LTD Viper 300m and an LTD Gus G when my local store was closing them out at insanely low prices.

They were all great guitars but the unfortunate thing about LTDs are their low resale value. It will be hard to re-sell on the private party market for more than 60% of what you'll buy it for. I ended up trading mine (all 3) in to GC for one amp and it was about an even trade. This was after listing them on CL for months with no bites.

9. LTigh

LTigh Member

Current generation of 401s are made by WMI out of Korea, after spending the last few years as Chinese models, and Indonesian before that.

In any case, still say that an E-MA is still a step or two above the LTDs for roughly the same price.

10. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

Just for fun I checked out the AS1 Alex Skolnick model because my local store is closing out all LTDs at 15% off which would land it somewhere around $800 I think?

Then I went to the CG used web site and there's one listed at $489. So just to prove what I said above about resale value...

11. Juvion

Juvion Senior Member

I played that EC-1000. It sounded and played very nice.
    But yeah, just like pillbug said:The resale value on LTD's is rubbish. Get a used one if you can.

12. Epiphone_LesPaul

Epiphone_LesPaul Senior Member

I personally love the abalone (or in my home country of New Zealand - paua) binding. If I were to get a custom made guitar, I would want similar binding but with NZ paua and have the company logo/guitar model text done in abalone as well.

13. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

If all goes well, by next pay-day, I am picking this one up from my local dealer:

[​IMG]

Same guitar, less "blink" and more metal-oriented, just how I like it. It plays as smooth as anything and sounds like a proper modern-LP-style guitar should (IMO).

Your version is not bad by any means. If you like it, go for it.

14. davidrf

davidrf Member

I had a LTD EC-1000 Goldtop with Seymour Duncans Alnico II Pro. It was one of the best guitars I've ever owned, especially price/quality ratio wise. It sounded awesome. My only big issue with that guitar were the extra-jumbo frets. I never managed to adapt to them. I sold the guitar solely because of those damn high frets.

LTDs are manufactured by World Musical Instrument Co. Ltd, Korea, the same factory that manifactures PRS SE and other high quality and relatively inexpensive guitars.

The resell value isn't great but it is almost impossible to go wrong with a EC-1000 quality and sound wise.

Hector Arcadius likes this.