ES-335 Kit build (GFS)

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Lagtastic, Jun 8, 2012.

1. chillman

chillman Senior Member

Thanks for the updates, lagtastic. I am absolutely chomping at the bit to buy one of these kits, but I have decided to let you do the dirty work for me and wait till you're finished before I buy one! That way I will have a better idea what to expect from start to finish. So keep updating, if only for my sake! (The fireburst looks great. I was thinking of Pelham Blue despite the flametop...or Mary Kay white...)

2. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Senior Member

Thanks a lot for the good words!
    It's a pleasure to be a part of this community and to share my experience with this kit!

For the moment, i'm a little bit stuck on the headstock... i want to shape it somewhere like a gibson and I tried with....a dremel.... All I got is a nasty burnt smell, 345566 broken cutting wheels and 234 burnt sandpapers rolls...

so i bought a coping saw and I'm gonna learn the hard way hehehe

I'm gonna post pictures as soon as I work on that!

1 person likes this.
  3. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Senior Member

Ok...
    So I got a litlle time to work on my headstock and i'm pretty happy about it. I finally learn to use my dremel the smart way (not everything is better at 3234000 rpm...who knew?) and it was very usefull.

I wanted a headstock inspired by the open-book look of gibson but a little bit different at the same time and I think it works.

I'm gonna put a flamed veneer on top of the maple headstock and i'm planning on trying a fancy desing that involves the same fireburst pattern than the body AND a secret ingredient: resin. Yup.

I made some tests with a resin (Résine in french... kind of epoxy but for arts and crafts) and it turned out very good. I wanted to find an
    alternative to MOP since I don't reallllllly like the look of it and wanted to develop a technique of my own. Don't get me wrong, I find some of the MOP work here absolutely incredible but I wanted to do something else, something different that would allow me more freedom with dyes, pigments and metal flakes.

As you can see, these turned out pretty well. I molded them in little plastic bottle caps. The resin got pretty hard but it still possible to engrave it with the appropriate tool. In this picture, one is tinted with yellow dye from Transtint, the other one got gold metal flakes in it and the last one pure yellow lacquer pigment. Imagine the possibilities...!

[​IMG]

In these pictures you can see the headstock with veneer on top of it. It's not glued on since i want to cut some pieces before i do it (you'll see :naughty:) The trustrod cover is made from a flamed maple headplate by hand. It's gonna be a part of my design.

[​IMG]

More to come!

3 people like this.
  4. cary

cary Junior Member

Glad I found this thread, I just ordered this kit yesterday and am glad I can watch someone else go through the steps first.

Very interested in seeing how this comes together. I like the look of the burst you did, was that all done applying the dye by hand? If so i'd love to hear how you did it.

I'll be watching this one closely. Best of luck.

5. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Senior Member

Good to know my experience is gonna help someone!

The burst was indeed applied by hand with rags. Look at those videos to give you an idea on how to do it:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u49jCIRNnmk]How to blue burst a Les Paul DC Project Guitar Top Luthier Building Bursting poor mans prs - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeERvZ8ca3o]How to Orange/Nuclear Burst a tele guitar staining a Maple burl Custom Project PRS - YouTube[/ame]

But, beware, NEVER EVER put an orbital sander on your 335 kit top. Sand it by hand. The veneer is SO thin that you are almost sure to sand trough with an Orb. sander and the curved top makes it very hard to have a nice result. Believe me... I learn the hard way.

Other than that, practice on scrap wood once you get your tint mixed. You wanna make sure that the color will come out nice.

Other than that...have fun doing it! It's the creative part! :)

6. cary

cary Junior Member

Thanks, that is pretty much exactly what i'm looking for. Looks like you used a technique closer to the first video, but just so i'm sure, did you do any selective sanding (more in the middle) after you applied the dye? or just the whole thing after applying the black to pop the flame? Meaning, did you use the rag to blend the burst, or sanding, or a combination of both?

Looks like the top veneer is pretty damn thin so i'll be sure to be gentle on it. I'm thinking about a "light burst" type finish, maybe with a little browner of an edge colour and a wider edge than this one. Gibson Memphis ES-335 Dot (Light Burst) | Sweetwater.com

Is the back also a flame veneer or is it the same as the sides? do you intend to "burst" the back as well or just dye it a solid colour?

What do you intend to finish it with? poly? nitro? tru oil?

Having built one of their strat kits, I know the electronics are crap and will have to go, do you think the internal cavity of the body has enough room to fit full size CTS pots in it? or are we going to be limited to micro pots?

How would you describe the neck profile? its hard to tell from any of the pictures.

Sorry for the barrage of questions, i'm just excited to get my kit and I want to be as prepared as possible for all the things I'll encounter.

Thanks, and keep us posted on the build.

7. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Senior Member

I didnt do any selective sanding, only blending with dyes and rags.

Looks like a pretty nice burst! You're gonna have to focus on the yellow tints much more than me.

The back is also flamed in the same material than the top. I destroyed mince with an orbital sander so i'm gonna finish it with a solid color (black) :D

Nitro all the way. I found a supplier, here in Québec City that can sell me nitro lacquer by the quart and opaque pigment by the ounce! :naughty:

There's some wood working to do since the routing is not ideal near the pickups but you are definitively gonna be able to put normal sizes CTS pot. I myself going to put a full bumblebee package in it and ReWinds pickups. I want to try to make the most of this chinese piece of...plywood...If it dosent work, I will always be able to salvage the good electronics and put it in my Gibson USA Les Paul or another project...! :naughty:

Hmmm...something like a modern Les Paul Studio profile...not a slim taper...but not a '57 in any kind of way...

If you want more informations, you can always ask! :D

1 person likes this.
  8. cary

cary Junior Member

thanks so much for the detailed answers. My kit should arrive some time next week so i'll be sure to post the thread link in here.

So how about a progress update? anything new?

9. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Senior Member

I'm finishing the headstock. I'm gonna post some pictures asap!

10. cary

cary Junior Member

just sharing the link for my 335 kit build, lemme know if this isn't cool and i'll erase it.
    GFS 335 kit build.

11. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Senior Member

Hi Cary,

No problem at all! You can share a link back to this thread on the other forum too if you want!

12. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Senior Member

Ok!
    It's been a long time since I posted something here.

I've been on a vacation trip with the girlfriend and the kid so I haven't been here in a while!

It dosen't mean I haven't worked on the project! :naughty:

I have worked on the headstock and put a theoretically good idea to practice (i.e. the use of tinted resin in a headstock design)

Here's what's the result. Judge by yourself!

Pattern applied to help drawing the design. I used the keys that were in the kit. I WON'T use them...they are total crap and 2 out of 6 won't even work... I plan on using gold hardware anyway...
    [​IMG]

Pattern cut. I was all done by hand with an impressive number of dremel tools and a really sharp hobby knife. I decided to glue a flamed maple veneer on top of the headstock to match the body and to do an insertion of colored resin. The logo was done freestyle by hand with a dremel. I'm not satisfied with the final look of it (you'll see in the next picture) so I'm gonna work on it another way. Probably with a reaaaaaly small brush and gold-saturated nitro...I don't know yet. RL is the name of the little shop my friend and I started (RL Custom Shop) a few months ago. If you want to see our others projects, find us on Facebook (Relea RL Custom Shop). Keep in my that we are nowhere professionnals but we take a great pleasure in sharing our work!

[​IMG]

White resin and gold resin insertion done. I'm really happy about the white one but not at all about the gold one. It seems dull and ..i don't know...bleh.... The general feeling I have about it is that it seems cheap...

[​IMG]

Aaaaaaand the color is done. Pretty happy about the result. It dosent match exactly the body and it was the effect I wanted. The trustrod cover is handmade from a flamed maple heastock blank plate. The one that came with the kit was so cheap, it almost made me cry...

[​IMG]

More to come: gluing the neck and (finally...damn!) shooting nitro like a madmen! :naughty:

2 people like this.
  13. chillman

chillman Senior Member

Looks great! Any new updates?

14. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Senior Member

Hi!

I just bought a D55168 from DeWalt (Air compressor, 15 gal, 200 psi max) and started to shoot nitro like a mad men...!

I'm still figuring out the best thinner/laquer ratio and the best setting for my gun with this setup but it's going pretty well. I have 6 coats done at the moment but the maple veneer sucks the lacquer so much, it's difficult to get a good base coat.

Next step is going to shoot black lacquer on the side and the back.

Pictures to come next week!

15. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Senior Member

A little tease about what is going on now....!

[​IMG]

As you can see, it's still a little pebbly since i'm figuring out the correct setting for my gun with the lacquer i'm using and the new compressor.

This is after the 6th coat of clear lacquer. The next step is to get a smooth surface on the back and the sides to shoot some black nitro.

16. skynyrd67

skynyrd67 Senior Member

I had looked at the GFS 335 kits and after looking at the Xavier 335 for $299 finished with upgraded electronics I kind of came to the conclusion if I wanted a low cost 335 the Xavier would be the better purchase. Great job working through the imperfections and turning out a nice looking 335 ! !

17. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Senior Member

Hi guys,

Just a little update! I shot the back and the sides black. I like the overall loook of the guitar. I re-did the logo in gold nitro too. Only 2 photos for the moment.

More to come!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. Hazboticus

Hazboticus Senior Member

Good stuff dude! Nice to see some 335 builds! might make one for my old man at some stage :p

19. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Senior Member

Thanks!

It is now ''drying'' for 2-3 weeks before wet sanding and FINALLY, i'm gonna get to play it!

Can't wait!

20. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

was thinking about getting one of these and converting into a dg-335/trini lopez