ES 335 Advice

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by Chondropython, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Chondropython

Chondropython Senior Member

Question on the neck... I have a custom shop reissue SG VOS... since that's a '61 reissue, can I assume that the neck on the guitar I posted above will be similar?

2. pompadour

pompadour Junior Member

I should add that i bought the second one i tried as the first one had some strange overspray around the headstock that i didnt notice at first.

Attached Files:

3. Chondropython

Chondropython Senior Member

Well, I pulled the trigger on the '95 sunburst above.... goog to be a long few days of waiting!

Texsunburst59 likes this.
  4. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

I have a '95 ES-335 and that has a thinnish SG-ish neck :)

5. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

Actually, the '61 Historics have fairly chunky necks, since a real '61 was not that far removed from a '59 LP. The USA 61 RI has a thin, "60s neck" which would be more likely found on a late '60s SG.

6. Mr. Beef

Mr. Beef Custom Refins/Restoration Premium Member MLP Sponsor

Hey guys, this seems like a good place to get an opinion on an ES-335. I'm not fishing for info in order to sell it, just wondering what the spectrum of opinions is. I love the guitar, which is what matters.

1982 Kalamazoo made, Tim Shaws, original everything, including case.

Texsunburst59 and mdubya like this.
  7. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Love it!

Those 80's 335's are supposed to be very good. And the Shaws are a bonus imho. :yesway:

Looks great, too. :applause:

ETA: how does it compare with the other guitars in the photo? Some nice classics you've got there.

8. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

I was under the impression that both Nashville and Memphis are considered a “Custom Shop” these days but in the past things were even more confusing with USA (made in Nashville but not Custom Shop), Memphis (not yet considered Custom) and Custom Shop (made in Nashville but not on the main USA production line) to navigate through. The Memphis guitars always had a good reputation which is, presumably, why Gibson decided that “Memphis Custom” would become a thing and retired the standard USA line of semi-hollows.

I used to have an early 2000s Nashville USA that was okay but just didn’t blow me away as much as I’d expected it to. I spent a long time finding my perfect 335 after that: played a few Nashville Custom Shops which were extremely nice but the necks were too skinny before I found my 2005 Memphis (pre-Custom designation) Dot Reissue with Kluson tuners and a nice fat neck. I freaking love it, best guitar I’ve owned. I chose it out of a range of 335s, which included those Nashville Custom Shops, and the only reason I picked this one was the fat(er) neck profile.

mdubya likes this.
  9. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I have a 2014 Memphis made standard Dot USA model. It has a thin neck. I would prefer chunkier if I were to chose, but I love the guitar so much, I would have a hard time parting with it for a Custom Shop or RI model.

Proof is in the pudding; last time I changed strings I noticed the first 5 frets are torn up from playing it so much. I have other great guitars and this 335 could easily be my one and only (not that I am volunteering to give up any of the others :shock: ).

For anyone looking; Chicago Music Exchange has some incredible deals on leftover Memphis ES guitars right now. Like once in a lifetime type deals.

10. bum

bum Senior Member

My Memphis one has just a 5 digit serial number, nothing like my Les Paul, I do not know why. I do love it though
    I played an 80s 335 the other night and I have to say, I was impressed, felt really substantial.

mdubya and Mr. Beef like this.
  11. Mr. Beef

Mr. Beef Custom Refins/Restoration Premium Member MLP Sponsor

Of the guitars in the picture, it's my favorite, but the "74 Flying V is a close 2nd. I've owned quite a few Gibsons, 40+ at the moment, and I've found that my favorites seem to be from the 70's and early 80's. Of the 335's, this is the only one that I've kept. It has a nice fat neck and I vibe you just can't seem to get with newer guitars, IMO. I'd like to find a 330 from the 80's:)

That '74 Flying V is in a league of it's own...

My LP's from the 70's have much more mojo than any of my reissues and play just as well, of not better. I think I want to be buried with by beat up '71 Deluxe haha!

BTW, if anyone is interested in a 2002 Tom Murphy R8 or a 2010 R0, PM me.

Progrocker111 and mdubya like this.
  12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I need to buy a 70's Deluxe while I can still afford one. :yesway:

13. 74JMP

74JMP Senior Member

like my Norlin LP, I bought my 335 because it was one of the best playing and sounding 335 I'd run across. Then I get on the Net and find out it's Memphis, it's 2009 before they got good, no mouse ears ...yadayada yada. Great Dot Neck with a med sized neck, not fat like my R8 or thin like my explorer, just right. got it at Sam Ash used for 2k. That said about a year ago I swapped the pups as I had a friend who Demo'd jimmy Wallace pickups and I loved the tone in his video. Ignore the specs play the Guitar and buy the one that you love

mdubya likes this.
  14. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Senior Member

Congrats on your '95, and welcome to the 335 club.

I've got a '70 and 83 Dot that I'm very happy with.

These 335's are great additions to any guitar collection.