Ernie Ball cobalt strings first impressions

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by islandjimmy, Nov 5, 2017.

1. scozz

scozz Senior Member

I've never tried Erine Ball Colbalt strings, but I've been a EB string user, (9-46 hybrid) for 25 or 30 years!!

2. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I never noticed the fretwear concern mentioned here, but if true, that's an issue. I like Cobalts -- a lot. I find them articulate and consistent, and they hold tunings well. I like the feel very much, as they are not stiff, and play fluidly and comfortably. I love the tone, but I do not use high-output pickups, do not jack up my pickup, and I keep my guitar volume around 5-6 (cranking only now and then, for leads, etc.) so I do not get the breakup some describe (unless I turn it all up, of course). I like the strong fundamental with nice overtones you get from the Cobalts -- for me, it's a better tone than the more zingy, thin tone of regular strings. I use NYXL or Cobalts on all my electrics.

3. fretout

fretout Senior Member

I've been using EB Cobalts on all my guitars for years now. They seem a little stiffer and less slinky than the standard slinkys, but they feel more slinky as they're broken in.

They are quite a bit louder both acoustically and through an amp, and the tone seems pretty balanced, with maybe more bass response than the normal slinkys.

I haven't noticed any increased fretwear compared to the normal slinkys, but I guess it depends on your paying style. I muscle the strings around pretty hard, it my frets are still there, and don't show any different patterns than any of the other EBs.

I will say that I absolutely hated the MB M-Steels, and they sounded dull and lifeless. I'm trying out a set of the new EB Paradigm strings, and they are nearly indestructible, and seems to stretch into tune much faster than any other EB strings.

BTW, I played 10-52s, and switched to Power Slinkys, and I like them more, so, they're on everything.

4. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I have used EB Cobalts for a few years, and like the tone and feel. I personally have not noticed the fret wear issue, though I check for it regularly. But I don't dispute that some players have had this problem. I play with very low action and a light touch with 9-42s, and some players have a heavier touch. Also, there are many fret wire alloys, sizes, and shapes. If you like the sound and feel of EB Cobalts, try them and just watch for excessive fret wear. If you start seeing it, I recommend changing to DR Pure Blues.

5. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

Too much friction and felt like they were going to chew up my frets. Did not like them at all and took em rght off

6. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Dilver,

I fully understand your problem with these strings, as they clearly are not for everyone. I have never used them except in 9-42 gauge, with very low action, and with the fret board (therefore the frets) nicely oiled. For those for whom EB Cobalts don't work, I recommend DR Pure Blues. Totally the opposite sort of strings, with pure nicle wraps and round cores on the wrapped strings, but with basically the same rich tone, if you crank down the bass and mids down a bit, and maybe crank the treble up a notch.