Ernie Ball cobalt strings first impressions

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by islandjimmy, Nov 5, 2017.

1. islandjimmy

islandjimmy Senior Member

I have a 2012 Les Paul Traditional Pro that I absolutely love to play. I have tried various .10 gauge strings, such as Dunlop, D'Addario, and Ernie Ball, but for the most part I found myself settled in with the Gibson Bright Wires. Today I tried something new. I put on a set of Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalts 10-46 and wow! Wow is all I can say. These are amazing strings. They seem to contain a myriad of sounds and change according to what the right hand is doing (if strumming or picking with the right hand). My Les Paul sounds like a different guitar! I can still get all the sounds the Bright Wires give me but much more. The cobalt strings mellow things out a bit on the upper end but have their own unique chime. There's a rough edge to them but they could still pull off jazz. I even like the feel of the strings, they're slightly matt feeling. I think I've found my new standard issue. Anyone else have this experience with the Ernie Ball Cobalts?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    endial and Veeing Fly like this.
  2. endial

endial Senior Member

Watching this thread. I like what you report and am waiting for others to chime in. Good on ya.

islandjimmy likes this.
  3. judson

judson Senior Member

always use ernie ball beefy slinkys 11-54 but if you are tellin me you feel and hear a noticeable positive difference i might give them a try...

4. DB Chuckster

DB Chuckster Member

Ernie Ball Power Slinky; End of story

5. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

I was jumping around from regular, super and extra slinky strings over the years. I went to stock up on strings last week and decided to get hybrid slinkys. 9-46. best string I have had on my les paul.

I just put some on my 335 about an hour ago and but they dont feel that great on that specific guitar. a little too slinky.

6. Juan Wayne

Juan Wayne Senior Member

I went full on with the Cobalts for a while, on all of my guitars. I was loving life, loving the extra brightness, punch, and durability of each set (can you see the left turn coming?). Then I noticed the fret wear. Those things will eat those frets like nothing. Don't ask me why or how, but that extra abrasiveness you notice on your fingers applies to frets as well.

I got back to my Regular Slinkys and never looked back. If I need more punch or brightness, I can always tweak the amp. Nothing against Ernie Ball, I got 50 of the good ol' green packs last week, but the Cobalts are dangerous shit I'm not messing with again.

tzd, Have FUN and endial like this.
  7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

"Rough" and "jazz"? Hmm.

8. islandjimmy

I didn't think about fret wear!:shock:

9. islandjimmy

I know right? It's an odd combo but these things can get jazzy if you back off on them a bit.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  10. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

Gibson Vintage, on all LPs.

fleahead likes this.
  11. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

Same problem with DEAN MARKLEY Blue Steel, those strings wear the frets.

Coated strings like ELIXIR are very good and protect the frets .

edselman likes this.
  12. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

I went from D'Addarios for 5 years to Ernie Ball for 3 years and then lightly experimented with DR and all I can say is they all make good strings, every single one of them but I keep going back to D'Addario.

filtersweep likes this.
  13. Hope

Hope Member

I've tried few sets of those this summer but I'm a hand-sweat guy and the strings were rusted after few days. Also I felt that they were just a bit stiffer so I came back to regular slinkys. No tonal improvements over slinkys.

14. Birdseyeview

Birdseyeview Senior Member

I use the Earnie Ball Cobalt Hybrid 009-.052 on 3 of my guitars. I have not noticed the fret wear as described by others. The tone is Monster, especially on my super strat with the complete FU tone upgrades. My 2014 Traditional needed a lot of tweaking and a proper set-up when I purchased it; the cobalt hybrids throw it over the edge in-terms of punch power.

endial likes this.
  15. edselman

edselman Senior Member

Only Elixir Nano Web for me.

C_Becker likes this.
  16. DB Chuckster

DB Chuckster Member

I’ve got elixirs on my dreadnaught but never tried them on electric.

17. Latearrival

Latearrival Senior Member

I love the EB Cobalts! - I have been using them on my LP Trad with classic 57 pick-ups for about 2 years now!

When I first tried them, I wasn't keen, as I felt they made the guitar sound more Heavy Rock, and less classic, so I stopped using them. Then I ran out of strings and only had a set of Cobalts left, so I put them on. For one reason or another, they stayed on my guitar for about 2 months. When I went back to the EB regular hybrid slinkys - if felt like a major step backwards, and it felt like someone had swapped my pick-ups for a low-output set!

So I have used the cobalts ever since, and am loving them! I also feel they last longer than the regular set (which is just as well, as they're twice the price!)

18. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

I tried the Cobalts on one of my basses, and while I really liked the aggressive sound and the output, they corroded very quickly and went dead. Didn't like the texture either.
    So back to Elixirs it is.

19. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

If they have the slinky feel, they might make it. Some posting here don't seem to think so.

20. Latearrival

Latearrival Senior Member

Depends on what you mean by "slinky" Bends are the same as the regular set, but as others have said the wound strings have a certain dry, "matt" feel to them - which - I have to say I rather like (even though my main reason for having them is tone and high output!)