Eric johnson (amp & effects settings) close up pic's, + more!!!

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Nigel Tufnel's tech, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Eriksson

Eriksson Junior Member

Sorry for a 4 year bump, but this is the first time I've ever seen what's happening at the back of his amps. So I couldn't resist posting here until now.

Now! The important thing that the one who took the picture missed out on, is the OHM setting that the speaker cable goes out from the amp to the speaker cab. I've read just once in an interview (way way back...in 1987) that he runs them out from the 4 Ohm output of the amp into the 8 Ohm input of the cabinet! An impedance mismatch! Thus, not running them 100 W efficiently enough, but as Marshall OT's are sturdy enough to cope with upward mismatch without frying, it works. And that this was the most crucial element to his lead sound. That's what makes it "muddy" or no-trebly sounding.

The other way wouldn't work, i e 8 ohm out into 4 ohm speakers, it would fry the OT and amp, if not the speakers too. I don't know if he still runs them that way today or not, and makes that "mod" his last clandestine, or secret trick, so no one can copy it or be able to tell. One can't tell how the speakers are wired inside anyway, so the readings on the panels will not give a clue.

Is there anyone who have any insight on this?

2. Eriksson

Eriksson Junior Member

Oh BTW, where's that spring reverb he uses?

3. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

My Guess is in the rack unless Eric stop using it.

4. Eriksson

Eriksson Junior Member

The reason I wondered is that, since all settings are shown here, it isn't shown on the reverb unit. I think, since EJ uses a lot of reverb (sometimes too much IMHO) it is an important element of his signature sound, and thus the settings of the reverb.

5. Eriksson

Eriksson Junior Member

I wonder two more things if anyone of you can provide insight on this. I've heard that the reason he stacks them on floor wood racks, is to be able to ANGLE them right or left depending on where they are in relation to his mic stand. Like, you know, if you ahve single coils, they'll hum less or more depending on how you move. You twist a bit, and then the hum and noise is gone. Since he can't do that while on the mic stand he better move all the gear instead. Last summer in Holland all of his rig was slanted towards stage right from the stages point of view. Only slightly, but no "straight backline" so to speak. I don't know whether any of this is true or not.

So they can move all in a row at once.

And I've heard that EJ doesn't ground his amps, and has ground lift on everything BUT one amp, that goes into the wall or mains grid ground. So he must pay careful attention to where he plugs in. So every other amp ends up with their power cord to that strip that has the amp that is grounded. He thinks ground pins attract dirty power and makes his distorted lead sound to hashy and hazy. Don't know whether any of this is true or not. Probably has to ask his tech rather than himself about it all.

6. David Mccarroll

David Mccarroll Senior Member

Oldish post that I am resurrecting - Eric also used to have either another Marshall or a Dumble (Steel String Swinger?) sitting behind the cabs at right angles to the amp on top.... why? Because according to him the amp sounded better that way.

Hey, if you get a tone (and can play) like him, you can say whatever you like and I'll be more than happy to accept your word!

7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I can think of many adjectives for EJ's tone, but "muddy" isn't one of them.

8. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Senior Member

I am curious as to if the settings on the Marshall are really at Zero...
    What I do is find the sweetspots on my rig, pull the knobs off and put them back on with the indicator pointing straight up...
    This way when I transports the head...all I have to do is set all dials to the 12 o'clock position and it's dialed in to where I last had it.

9. slash86

slash86 Junior Member

Nice pics. Very useful thread!:thumb: