Eric Clapton Sig

Discussion in 'Fender' started by MichaelAndrew3435, Jan 3, 2017.

1. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

Thoughts? How are the noiseless pickups on this model? Electronics? I'm looking at a 2002 model in white.

2. Otto tune

Otto tune Senior Member

I love mine. I don't use the boost feature, but to me it has a certain personality the generic Strat does not have. (I have both and never use the American Deluxe Strat.)
    Now, there's three levels of the Clapton sig.
    Mine is the "artist series". Then there's a Custom Shop version, another thousand bucks, and finally the full blown reliced replica for $25 grand.
    I found mine on the Bay, a mint 2013 in 2014 for $1100. OHSC.
    It's a keeper.

OBTW. I would not get a conversion kit. The real artist series Clapton has a routered area under the pick guard for the extra circuit board, and the battery is in the trem cavity. The conversion jams everything in where there is almost no space and the battery is next to the 5 way switch, impossible to access without undoing the pick guard.
    I mention this because I don't remember a white Clapton sig, but I could be wrong. It should have the signature on the headstock.

3. So What

So What Senior Member

I've had several, including a white one. I currently have a black one with the noiseless pickups.

I prefer the Fender pups to the Lace, because you can get a more true Strat sound from the Fender pups. The Lace tended to sound more sterile and compressed to me.

I do use the boost switch. In fact, I used to use an LP when I played out a few times each year with a friend's band. He always plays a Strat, so the LP paired well. I have used the Clapton with him the last couple of times, because I can get the fat Humbucker like tones with the boost( for slide and such), then back off and get some really good Strat tone.

Try one on for size. You may like it.

4. MichaelAndrew3435

What are Lace pups? Lol

5. So What

So What Senior Member

The original Clapton Strats had the Lace sensorpickuos in them.

You can google some info on them.

This video on YouTube demonstrates the tonal differences I was referring to.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UPeUSb4namM

To my ears, even on this guy's video, the Fender pups sound brighter and more Fender-ish, versus the Lace pups which sound compressed and sterile to my ears.

6. MichaelAndrew3435

Thanks! I think I'd prefer the Fender ones too.

7. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

I have a black one and love the noiseless pickups. It definitely has a feel and sound that sets it apart from regular US starts.

[​IMG]

8. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

Pretty guitar. I don't have have a black guitar, or a real Strat for that matter. Food for thought:D

9. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I've got the in package Fender boost kit that could go in any stray. Just never found a use right now.

10. So What

So What Senior Member

Here is a picture of me playing the Blackie with my buddy at a club.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. RichBrew

RichBrew Senior Member

I've had one for two years and it is the most versatile guitar I have ever owned by a country mile.

No problems with the pickups and the guitar has been used onstage many times.

This video is what convinced me to pop into a well-known shop in Guildford, Surrey, debit card blazing:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6egbEhQ6uU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6egbEhQ6uU[/ame]

12. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

To me its the best production strat available. I've had a handful and kept the Custom Shop model. I personally like Lace over Fender pickups but not a deal breaker. BTW if anyone is looking for a good aftermarket pickup Lace Holy Grails are great. Put a set in my 94 CS Strat.

13. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I think it is an incredibly versatile guitar. Even if you don't like Eric Clapton you can make some great stuff with it. For example, this band used one to record this song. It is nothing like Eric Clapton in style but the guitar delivered the goods.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wMMcCkRAsk[/ame]

14. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I guess I'm the crazy guy. I had a custom shop Clapton in Daphne Blue. It's a pretty rare color and it took me about a year and and a half to find one to buy. I really wanted to love that guitar. But I found out I'm not a vintage fan, even though I'm 66. I didn't like the small vintage frets, the vintage tuners, even the vintage saddles felt weird under my palm. I could have lived with the soft V neck, but I actually wasn't too crazy about that either. When I realized I wasn't playing the guitar, I decided to sell it. I made a bunch of profit on it, so that was a good thing. I have two other Strats that I play all the time, so it's not that I don't like Strat's. Here's a pic of my old one:

[​IMG]

15. Crotch

Damn. I would have snagged the Daphne. It's been alluding me for a while now. But probably don't need 3 Clapton's although I think they're the best guitar Fender makes production or CS.

16. sonar

sonar Senior Member

What's the general consensus with the mid boost? Do EC players use it enough for it to be worth it?

How's it with passive, vintage style pickups?

17. Nippon

Nippon Senior Member

The board is wayyyyy too pale for me.

18. Crotch

I use it. You get more Humbucker sounds with it. Very versatile IMO

RichBrew likes this.
  19. RichBrew

RichBrew Senior Member

I like the idea of the variable mid boost; from just a touch to full on, and all points in between. I use it all the time.

20. MichaelAndrew3435

So I'm back to considering an Eric Clapton Strat after I returned a CS 56 Reissue Strat I didn't care for. My question is should I get a CS Eric Clapton Strat or just the production model?