Epiphone Wilshire Owners/Fans UNITE!!

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by Tanner, Jan 7, 2011.

1. old mark

old mark Senior Member

My Worn Cherry Wilsh when it was just new...

[​IMG]

They are one of the most under rated guitars ever...if you find one for sale, jump on it!

2. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

Very nice!

I'm looking for one of these in the worn finish.

cheers
    JohnG

3. A1Coyote

A1Coyote Senior Member

I picked up a LE 1966 Worn Wilshire w/ Tremotone on a whim recently. I have always been interested in a Wilshire, and when this one showed up I could not help but get it.

Used, of coarse, but it is without a single scratch or blemish. Wood is very nice, all the wood grain shows through this finish. Looks every bit like the old '60's translucent finish except that it is not shiny or glossy like an original, more of a satin finish.

When I got it, the strings were totally roached, and I was not able to get it in tune. So I was kind of holding my breath with taking a chance on it. Once I got it home and changed out the strings, it stays in tune and sounds really sweet, I always favored the P90 sound, my first electric is a Limited Edition Epiphone Les Paul Special Single Cut, but I am really liking these mini-humbuckers.

It is a nice, light, great looking guitar that brings me back with it's nostalgic looks. Ironically enough, with the original USA Epiphone Wilshires, the vibrola was no longer optional in 1966, which was THE difference between a 1965 & 1966 Wilshire. I suppose it would more accurately represent a Worn '65 Wilshire. Regardless, I believe I am going to enjoy learning the nuances of this one, and glad I took a chance with it.

1 person likes this.
  4. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

HNGD............ :applause:

and Pics please............. or it don't exist! :laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  5. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

Just realized I never posted a pic of my "new" (~2009ish) Wilshire. In gloss white and virtually in 'like new' condition when I got it a month ago from GC. They listed it as in "excellent" condition and it was indeed! Weighs in just a bit under 7# and feels great in the hands.

I'll post a better pic in a couple weeks.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I use to see one around now and then in the mom and pop shops in the sixties. Usually, back then, they'd have a couple of fender basses, some strats, maybe a telecaster, a few gibsons.

No Les Pauls of course, but 335s, EBO basses. Stuff like that. Almost never saw any Martins. But gibson ruled the acustic market back then. Sometimes saw some epis.

Rather limited in those days. A right hand world too. Never saw left handed guitars. I grew up playing right handed guitars left handed.

Now it's all this.

Nice guitars above.

1 person likes this.
  7. A1Coyote

A1Coyote Senior Member

Finally got around to taking some pics of my '66 "Worn" Wilshire with Tremotone. First photo is of the Full Monty. I like the look of the asymmetrical body with the slightly longer upper bass horn. It has a roller bridge for Tremotone action. The Tremotone gives it a really cool vintage look that I was drawn to.
    [​IMG]

Batwing Headstock with Gold silkscreen Epiphone peghead
    logo that first appeared on 1963 Wilshires. Like an original, it has the dot fingerboard inlays.
    [​IMG]

Reverse Side = with the scarfed / beveled belly cut as first appeared halfway thru 1965 production on the originals.
    [​IMG]

Side view displaying the thin flat body profile. Gives the Wilshire a nice comfortable weight.
    [​IMG]

Photo of the business end of the Wilshire, and what had me pulling the trigger. Is this a cool looking guitar or what? The originals had a vibrola vibrato, and ironically they were no longer optional on the original 1966 Wilshire. This is actually a re-issue tremotone from the 1962 Epiphone Crestwood. Also has what I have seen identified as "cheap amp" style barrel knobs. Whatever, for me, it has the old school vintage look that I like.
    [​IMG]

View of the reverse again, I really like this Worn Cherry finish. You can see the wood grains, and I like that too! This guitar I picked up from GC, and came without a single dent, ding, scratch or blemish, which was a very nice surprise for a used guitar.
    [​IMG]

The Wilshire is only my second electric. Here it is along side my first, a re-issue Epiphone Les Paul Special Single Cut in TV Yellow with P90's. More of a mustard yellow, and the finish allows the wood grains to show thru. I call it Spicey Brown. In photos it always seems to show up more yellow.
    [​IMG]

The Wilshire seems like it was never set-up before, so I am going to get that taken care of after the holidays are over. I like the mini-humbucker sound also. Guess I'm just a sucker for "old school" style guitars. All in all I think that Epiphone did a nice job on this re-issue, other than it is more technically a '65 Wilshire with a Crestwood vibrato. For me, it's just a really cool looking fun guitar.

1 person likes this.
  8. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

A1

Thanks for posting those cool pics and description. That Wilshire looks VERY cool. :applause:

I so wish Epi would bring that Wilshire back into production!

1 person likes this.
  9. A1Coyote

A1Coyote Senior Member

As close as this Wilshire model is to a Crestwood, I can't imagine why Epiphone would not attempt a Re-Issue 1965 - 1969 Crestwood Custom?

I believe that the Wilshire Pro in TV Silver had single binding on the neck/fret board? All they would have needed for the Crestwood neck would be to combine the single binding and the inlays they used in the 1962 Crestwood Re-Issue.

Come on Epiphone! Re-Issue a 1965 - 1969 Crestwood Custom!!!

That would be awesome! :fingersx:

1 person likes this.
  10. hogluvr

hogluvr Member

Question from a noob: did Epi have a different trem on these reissues before the one with the logo tailpiece? I was doing some research and thought I had come across some factory advertising that said they had improved the older trem? The reason I ask is that I was considering pulling the trigger on a used one that had what looked like the old style Maestro vibrola installed on it and wondered if it was a repop?

11. A1Coyote

A1Coyote Senior Member

This is the same re-engineered tremotone Epiphone borrowed from the '62 Re-Issue Crestwood. Is the Wilshire a re-issue or an original USA from pre 1970?

This is from Epiphone's website:

Epiphone 1966 Worn Wilshire with Tremotone

12. hogluvr

hogluvr Member

It's a reissue, and definitely not the Crestwood trem...

Attached Files:

13. A1Coyote

A1Coyote Senior Member

That's a first (for me), and a cool one. Looks like the tremotone was removed, and an original vibrola was put in it's place. Is the re-issue tremotone being offered with this guitar? How about the rest of the parts for the vibrola?

Here is a link for the originals.
    Epiphone Wilshire guitar electric vintage 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965

The original vibratos were optional 1959 - 1960 on Wilshires. Then again 1962 - 1965. All Wilshires had the stop tail piece 1966 - 1969.

14. hogluvr

hogluvr Member

No other parts, just what is there, its a pawn shop special. I ended up picking it up, now I guess I'm looking for parts!

15. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

Please post some pics! :naughty:

1 person likes this.
  16. hogluvr

hogluvr Member

I'll try to post a few pics tonight if I survive work and this flu! :wow:

1 person likes this.
  17. hogluvr

hogluvr Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. hogluvr

hogluvr Member

Pics. :applause:

Not sure what happened to the finish on the side, there's not the smallest nick or scratch anywhere else? Guess I'll have to figure out how to "touch it up"!

19. A1Coyote

A1Coyote Senior Member

Looking forward to seeing your new find, I expect it should not only be a cool one, but interesting too! The pick-ups sound great, I believe you are really going to enjoy that guitar.

20. A1Coyote

A1Coyote Senior Member

Maybe somebody "aging" the body?

That Maestro Vibrola looks in nice shape. It more closely resembles a true '63 - '65 Wilshire. The control knobs are changed also.

How do you like the Mini Humbuckers?