Epiphone valve senior

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by GNR'Goldtop, Nov 4, 2009.

1. GNR'Goldtop

GNR'Goldtop Senior Member

So I was reading about this amp and it sounds great but I have a question. It says that it has a solid state rectifier. Does that mean its a hybrid amp? Or is it still considered all tube. Lastly what is the rectifier?
    Thanks guys

2. Fuelish

Fuelish Senior Member

The VSr is considered an all tube amp. I believe the hybrids have tube pre-amp, solid state power amp ( ... or vice versa...don't have one so I dunno) The Sr has tubes in both sections....the rectifier has nothing to do with that. The rectifier converts AC to DC ..... here's a link to a good explanation of rectifiers

3. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

a solid state rectifier doesn't take away from the fact that it's a tube amp. although many say that a tube rectifier is the icing on the cake...

4. GNR'Goldtop

GNR'Goldtop Senior Member

Thanks guys that helped a lot.

5. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

The rectifier will turn AC into DC to be fed to the board. That's what it does. My VJ has a solid state rectifier and it sounds great. My 18W has a 5Y3 rectifier valve and it sounds killer. Some people call this rectifier "sagging" that's a thing of old amps.

It's actually a matter of taste. Weber, for instance, sells some device that's solid state you can use to replace a rectifier tube. This is quite popular, other sellers also get you some sort of option to go from tube to solid state.

You could add a tube rectifier but it's not as simple as it seems. Major voltage drops can occur in the circuit involving the PT, rectifier and reservoir cap. Also, you need to position the rectifier in the right place to avoid wiring problems and hum.

6. Boshizzle

Boshizzle Senior Member

Look what arrived today!

[​IMG]

I will post some clips and a review soon.

7. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

Wooohoo! Nice!

8. Fuelish

Fuelish Senior Member

Cool.....am trying to figure a way to swing one here .... not too much wider and same color scheme as the VJ head, although I can imagine Mrs Fuelish saying "I don't remember it having that many knobs !!!" Am thinking of getting one with next guitar purchase, figure she'll be more distracted by another geetar !!! ... heh:laugh2:

9. Saljam

Saljam Senior Member

Nice!! I got my VS Combo last week. It's my first experience with a tube amp and I'm loving it!! I'm anxious to hear what all you experienced dudes have to say about it. What a huge step up from my Line 6 Spider!!!