Epiphone upgrades

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by JoeM, Aug 26, 2017.

1. JoeM

JoeM Junior Member

Ok, so I have a Epiphone Special 2.
    I am going to do some upgrades, with the goal of it being "custom for me, by me" and future-proofing its purchase.
    I have been playing for 2 years, and I know some blues, country and punk rock/metal, so I want a general purpose guitar. I am running Erine Ball Cobalts, 10-46 usually.

I am going to replace the tuners. I already have Sperzal locking tuners on the shelf.
    I am gonig to replace the pickups. I have the Duncan hot rod set on the shelf.
    I'm not afraid of delicate woodworking.
    When done, my Dad-in-law will set up the guitar.

And I am going to redo the controls with CTS hardware.
    and with this last part come the questions.
    I only have 2 holes on this guitar so I have narrowed it to
    1) volume and tone for both pickups or
    2) tone for both pickups and master volume on a push-pull with coil split for both coils.

Which would you guys use?
    Also what tone cap do you guys prefer with these Duncans, or do you use a different value on each?
    I am going to add the tone bleed, and figure I can clip it out if I do not like it.
    What value of tone and volume pots do you guys find work well with these Duncans?

Thanks
    Joe

2. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Depends on how much you use the tone knob, I have a Flying V where I have only volume for each pickup with a 500k resistor hidden in the cavity instead of a tone pot. That equals the tone pots being on 10 all the time. But its purely a metal guitar, so not much need for tone knob, at least not for me.

If you need a tone knob, I'd go with push-pull pots, so you can set volume and tone for each pickup, just like on a "normal" Les Paul. Seymour Duncans website has wiring diagrams for almost any configuration I can think of.

In general, Gibson uses 300k linear volume pots and 500k audio taper tone pots.
    Many prefer going 500k on the volume pots as well.
    If that is still too dark sounding, you can even go with 1Meg, I did in my Explorer.

I'd definitely go with a 22nF tone cap, the 47nF Seymour Duncan recommends is much too dark for my tastes.

While you are changing out the electronics, do yourself a favour and replace the jack and the toggle switch. They'll crap out anyway, so you might as well do it now while you have everything apart anyway.

3. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Senior Member

Replace the nut with a Tusq or real bone. Does a world of difference for tuning stability.

4. dCi_king

dCi_king Senior Member

I have upgraded everthing on my PTP. You can see it in my signature. Maybe it will be useful on your project.

5. Marco_1975

Marco_1975 Junior Member

For the volume, you definately need logarithmic (=audio taper) pots, as your hearing works logarithmical. This will give you a linear volume control. Tone can be either log or linear to your own taste.
    For the cap: with a higher the value, the tone is darker when rolled down compared to a lower value.

6. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

Master volume. Tone on neck-only. No split coil.

Fine tune your amp for the bridge pickup.

If you find yourself playing live, and need more options than that, you've earned yourself the treat of another guitar.

7. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

Welcome to the forum!