Epiphone upgrade/wiring questions

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Epilespaul85, Oct 22, 2017.

1. scrumm21

scrumm21 Silver Supporter Premium Member

Welcome to MLP !
    This +1

2. Epilespaul85

Epilespaul85 Junior Member

Those are what I got. When I initially started debating doing this I was listening to Led Zeppelin. I just love the tone from some of their CD’s so I started to try and do my homework on the components involved. I didn’t know if the capacitors made a difference or not, I’ve never thought about it. Someone recommended a site that had their harness with the luxe’s. If it made a difference I’d spend the $50, I work overtime all the time, an hour of work is nothing.

3. Epilespaul85

I have a stupid question. So I ordered and received the pots, I was under the assumption they would be a solid shaft but splined. Their split shaft, 18 splined, will any of the CTS knobs for stewmac work for those? I’ve never changed a knob on a guitar in my life just I just want to make sure the pots are right before I go installing them. I want the guitar to look completely original with the knobs.

4. howardlo

howardlo Senior Member

Any non-import knobs will fit. Like ones made by Gibson, etc. Import sized pots are metric and have less splines. Solid shafted pots don't have splines and require set screws on the knobs. You will also have to slightly enlarge the holes in the body to 3/8" for the CTS pots. A reamer works great for that.

5. Epilespaul85

Okay, thank you! I knew about the enlarging, but what do you mean reamer? Like a step bit?

6. Epilespaul85

Didn’t come out horribly. I’m still waiting on the wire from amazon to re-do everything on the interior, I received everything else this week.

Was able to temp ground all the pots with the old wire and set it in the guitar. Stripped all the wires and wrapped em up so I could check everything worked correctly and it was PERFECT!

I just played some music through the pickups while changing the switch, volume and tone controls. It never worked this well and I absolutely love the vintage taper, it feels usable. Caps may not make a “difference” but I can tell from that few minutes that the clarity and treble seemed so much more pronounced with the stock pickups re-installed. It always sounded boomy and muddy before to me and I could never understand why. I cannot wait for the wire so I can wrap this project up and get to jamming on it.

Attached Files:

7. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

Epilespaul, :welcome:to MLP
    The Epi switch is a leak link in the chain. They are very prone to failure. If it's working for you that's fine, but some day when you replace it get a Switchcraft, they are almost bullet-proof, and quiet.
    Nice job on the wiring.

JohnnyN likes this.
  8. howardlo

howardlo Senior Member

Similar, but tapered with a T handle and used by hand. Handy tool to have if you plan on doing more guitars. Really inexpensive at like Harbor Freight, Menard's, Lowe's, etc.