Epiphone Traditional Pro II neck profile?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by GuitarRUSH, Jul 13, 2017.

1. GuitarRUSH

GuitarRUSH Senior Member

I was browsing around my local Guitar Center today and among the many Epiphones they had in stock (seemingly all mine carries) was a few of the Traditional Pro II Les Pauls. I noticed the finish on the back and the neck were satin, so I picked it up.

IMMEDIATELY, I said "What the..."

The neck was the fattest neck I had ever seen on an Epiphone guitar before. Including Joe Bonamassa models!

It felt perfect in my hands and even sounded pretty good (honestly, to my surprise). So...

What's the deal with the neck profiles on these things? I had always written them off before because all the descriptions say "60's Slim Taper D". I hate thin neck profiles! If Epiphone made more guitars with the nice baseball bat profile I came across today, I'd be a happy customer.

I still may end up going back to try this particular one some more. It was a plaintop tobacco burst, so not really my thing usually, but dang if the neck profile didn't make me want to buy it right then and there. But, just wanted to see if anyone here had some clarification.

2. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Member

I think the Epiphone ad description department just cut and paste the specs!

If you believed the spec info, nearly all their necks are Slim Taper D... :rofl:

Just goes to prove, always best to go play some before you buy - and with most shops here in the UK offering to price match with in stock items online from UK retailers, it's not more expensive... And I like to look after my local shops, develop a good relationship with them, and they'll always help you out when it's trade up time :thumb:

GuitarRUSH likes this.
  3. GuitarRUSH

GuitarRUSH Senior Member

I went back to Guitar Center and ended up ordering a Traditional PRO in Desert Burst, since that model has a flamed top in that finish, rather than the plain top on the Traditional PRO-II. Whenever it comes in, I can return it if the neck profile isn't to my liking.

Both models SEEM to have the same neck profile (each one having some variation of a thicker, "50's profile"), judging by the ones they had in the store.

4. Isaac Ord

Isaac Ord Junior Member

With my 2015 Epiphone Sheraton II Pro I found that although the neck is classed as a "60's" it still feels big in the hand, I think this is due to the profile of the neck, the shoulders of the neck are quite rounded off and the centre is quite shallow causing your hand to have to stretch more if you put your thumb over the neck and still feels comfortable in the classical position, I used to feel the fatter the neck the better and in most cases yeah, but this neck profile feels just as big in the hand in my opinion because of the round shoulders and flat back

Attached Files:

5. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Yep, both the Epi Trad Pro & Trad Pro II have very nice chunky 50s rounded necks. I am always tempted by th too when I go to GC! :)

6. workerunit

workerunit Senior Member

My early Chinese Epi Traditional Pro has a beefy neck with a long tenon. It is my favorite Les Paul, and I have a few.

7. Money f'Nuthin

Money f'Nuthin Junior Member

My Slash Rosso Corsa has a pretty fat neck. Even though Epi's specs say "slim taper".

I love it.

8. eeprete

eeprete Senior Member

I've tried a few of these and they are fabulous. More comfortable than even some of my Gibsons!! Now you are making me want one again!!

howardlo likes this.
  9. howardlo

howardlo Senior Member

Really like my 2014 honeyburst Trad Pro, and yes, it has a nice chunky 50's type neck.