Epiphone Thunderhorse and Snow Raven?!!

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by MineGoes211, Sep 7, 2012.

1. warpedsoul

warpedsoul Senior Member

Please do and let me know what you think. I have a guitar up for sell to try to save for this.

2. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

Everyone will eventually get a Gibson signature. I'm due up about two years from now. I checked on yours, and you're going to want to be on cryogenics for a while. You're on the list, about five behind Marge Simpson and some Egyptian guys, but well ahead of Ed Roman, Wolfgang Puck, some guy who's the founder of an ABBA tribute band and Traci Lords.

2 people like this.
  3. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

Phenolic (AKA plastic):

[​IMG]

4. nate_D

nate_D Member

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm guessing you haven't heard of the Dethklok... Brendon is a phenomenal guitarist.

http://youtu.be/WdyeyRsqF9k

5. mechtech

mechtech Senior Member

Nice look on stage.
    I practice a lot sitting/slouching on the couch, to they are a no-go for me.

6. KrymsinViking

KrymsinViking Senior Member

So, I won't be buying a Thunderhorse after all, but ill still do my best to see what I can tell you about the phenolic fretboards. Managed to score a Gibson Explorer Standard with the case for the same price as the Thunderhorse.

1 person likes this.
  7. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

As a Ranking Prelate of The Tribunal I regret to inform you that

I

Don't

Care.

:naughty:

8. KrymsinViking

KrymsinViking Senior Member

Played one of the Martin acoustics with the micarta fretboards yesterday, and I was pretty happy with it. It was an $800 Martin, so I'm assuming it would be comparable to the Thunderhorse.

Being plastic it lacks the wood grain that you might be used to feeling on most guitars, but unless your actually thinking about it, that shouldn't get I your way. If I was still in the market for a Thunderhorse this would have sealed the deal for me. Assuming Epiphone's micarta boards are of a similar relative qualitity as Martins.

9. lowrider83

lowrider83 Junior Member

I could give a quick review of the Thunderhorse, been playing one for a few months now:
    Appearance: When I started playing in bands in the 70's, literally everybody and his dog had a LP Custom Silverburst, hence I hated them. BUT, when I first saw this SB Explorer...love at first sight! Close inspection showed an excellent finish...no flaws or over sprays.
    Build Quality- Excellent! As I said, the finish is flawless. All parts are well done and look great. The setup needed just the slightest tweak to eliminate choke on the high E, 19th fret. Intonation was perfect, very rare. Only complaint is the single layer pickguard, which looks kinda cheap. Replaced with black mirrored PG from WD...BLING! All electronics work well, tuners are tight, and frets are well dressed with no sharp ends anywhere.
    Playability: Great! Love the neck shape. Plays fast and easy, better than many axes I've played WAY more $$$ for. Balance is only slightly neck heavy, easily handled by leather strap. Very natural feeling on the strap, and the weight isn't bad, even for my lousy back.
    Sound: YOWZA! The BB1 and BB2 are sooo sweet, especially with the coil split function that isn't available on the Gibson version. We do such a wide range of music that I need versatile amps and guitars, and the horse handles them all, from very clean to bluesy crunch to heavy distortion. My favorite is to run the neck pup split , the bridge pup on full bucker. I can then use the neck for cleaner stuff, both for more rocking rhythm stuff, and the bridge alone for leads, adjusting the volume pots to get the right mix. Great stuff!
    All around, this is a great multi purpose axe that is easy to play and gives great tone. The fretboard material is really not an issue to me at all, since the guitar does everything I ask of it, and does it exceedingly well.

1 person likes this.
  10. LowThudd

LowThudd Senior Member

Nice review. I'll probably be getting one next month. And welcome to the forum.