Epiphone Tak Motsumoto Double-Cut Plus Top China Made guitar.

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by rednefceleb, Dec 15, 2017.

1. rednefceleb

rednefceleb Senior Member

I just became aware of the Epi Custom Shops (China) Tak Motsumoto DC plus top. I want to locate a nice, fairly inexpensive, double-cut with humbuckings. It's a fine looker, but that doesn't always mean much. I have an Epi 60's L.P. Tribute plus and really like it for being made in China. It's surprising. Does anyone have any hands on (or ears on) experience with this "Tak" DC model. I've not had any experience with Burst-Bucker pups either. I love the Gibson '57's on The Tribute Plus of course.

Who likes this.
  2. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Who, jdto, tzd and 3 others like this.
  3. rednefceleb

I am really glad to hear that from you. Since you own many to compare. That's one model that I will order then. (maybe not black). I think cherry or aqua or green. It's safe to say I don't know which color yet!

truckermde and paruwi like this.
  4. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I've never played that guitar model, but I have played similar ones like the 1960 Gibson "Les Paul" which was double cut. It had a thicker body mass than the SG LP that came along the next year, which (IMHO) gave the 60 a better tone. I think I'd like your new guitar!

rednefceleb likes this.
  5. rednefceleb

I bought a SG/Les Paul that was about a '61. It was black in the store. In the sun, it was actually a very dark trans-green. The store-owner yelled out as we were leaving..."that's a Les Paul you know!". My friend and I said..."Leo must be crazy...this is an SG!". Boy, did I find out later how wrong we were. It had that Maestro Vibrola on it (which we never used). I gave that to my best friend thinking it was an SG (common). Years later, I heard that he traded it for a Triumph Spitfire to drive. I notice that you have a Bugera 22. I recently bought their V5 Infinium for my apartment. I really love that little thing. 5 watts class A is nothing to sneeze @. In fact, I am going to get the 22 watt big brother for gigging and will use the five watt at my ear level. I would like to have the tube rectified 30 watt Bugera but have heard they weigh a TON. At my age, I would need a helper. Nice amps at good prices, really.

6. Dolebludger

red,

This is weird because there was a thread on the vintage SG sub-forum here about a greenish-black 61 or so SG LP, questioning if that was the original finish. I think the results were inconclusive, so it would be good if you could find it and tell your story. Also, your SG LP wouldn't have had a Maestro trem if it was a 61 or 62. It would have had a side-pull trem (which were not really useable either.) I bought my SG LP in Nov, 1961 but I am told it has a 62 serial number so I list it as such -- I still have it. I really prefer guitars with more body mass than that one. But in 1961 our choices were rather limited. I prefer double cuts, so that's why I think I would like the guitar in this thread.

My Bugera V22 is a 2009 model, and there have been reliability issues. But I understand those have been rather well resolved. The "V" stands for vintage, so the tone is vintage even in the high gain channel. But this amp responds very well to pedals in that channel and with a pedal becomes a good imitation of a Marshall stack in a small, portable combo. Its ability at gigs can be enhanced by an extension 1X12 cab and speaker. I used to gig with it that way on the 13W setting. The Bugera V 22 is the only portable 1X12 combo I have ver tried that sounds "big" even at low or moderate volumes.

rednefceleb likes this.
  7. rednefceleb

I am probably going to write off the Tak M. Epi from China. I am targeting an FGN Les Paul Custom type model. There is one on reverb now for like $899 w/ hardshell and free delivery. It's been there 3 months! When my check hits the mailbox, I will buy that or another arrival like that. Then maybe a Bacchus Strat. If there is anything left, a used Bugera 22. Plans are made. Dreams will be realized. I'm happy! If I had not learned about these great MIJ guitars, I would never be able to own the quality pair that I want. I will be needing a really good double guitar stand.

T00DEEPBLUE and paruwi like this.
  8. Dolebludger

red,

I probably won't buy one either, because I have too many guitars as it is. These include several set neck or neck through double cuts with sufficient body mass, so I don't really need this guitar at all. What I need is to improve my playing on what I have! But this guitar seems to have the specs for one I would like IF I needed/wanted another guitar.

rednefceleb likes this.
  9. rednefceleb

You have a great collection. I keep going back and forth on that Epi "Tak". I am looking for a really nice Strat S/S/S. I found an old Greco Strat that's nitro from the 80's in good shape. They only want like $700! If I happen to get a check that I'm waiting for and a deal like that is happening, then, I will order it, period. That would leave me space to get that Motsumoto 'cause I really like the design, hardware, all mahogany, and colors. I have been advised they are a very good playing instrument. Even though it's Chinese. They have a few from there that are pretty good players.

10. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

My MiC Ibanez plays wonderfully. I used to slag all Chinese guitars, and still won't buy one new for reasons that would get me in hot water with the rules here if I laid them out. But the fit, finish, and playability of my Ibby is simply great. It bats out of its league, price-wise.

Don't know about this Epi, but so long as you have a solid return policy working for you, it's worth the bet, I'd say.

rednefceleb likes this.
  11. rednefceleb

I have noticed that China made builds have their quality levels. Your Ibanez is a perfect example. I worked with a guy who had one and I couldn't believe it was made in (MIC). Of course Epi will take back anything. Paruwi advised me that the "Tak" is the best playing MIC Epi that he has had in ten yrs. With his closeness to fine guitars, I am believing him. It's true, some Chinese stuff is as good as Japanese. That would probably be a good thread. "Is some Chinese Japanese?" Lots of opinions and arguments (nice arguments) there. This is a nice forum. I have been a name brand forum where people sent me scalding put downs and accusations of ignorance. I stopped posting there. It's about having fun. Thx.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  12. paruwi

not only MiC Epis, it is the 'best' out of all Epis I had, that includes made in Korea and Indonesia and from 1993-2015

rednefceleb likes this.
  13. rednefceleb

I was just looking to ask you a question about that guitar. I get the impression from many, that this is a (playable) guitar, and you have many guitars to refer to, so is the Tak enjoyable enough for you to play? Comfortable and not "bulky" & difficult in spots?

14. paruwi

Yes :thumb:
    Yes :thumb:

rednefceleb likes this.
  15. Dolebludger

red and all,

I am a very senior member (age-wise) and can recall in the late 1960s when all MIJ guitars and many MIA guitars were pure crap!!! Progress is sometimes a good thing, and I observe many (most) MIC guitars improving over the past decade, just like MIJ guitars did decades ago. Now, it does appear to me that much MIC is as good as MIJ or MIK. As far as MIA is concerned, there is a post on this forum about how Sweetwater had to send an order of 13 MIA Gibsons back. All were defective. So MIA doesn't seem to be a guarantee of anything. As far as quality and playability are concerned, I don't think it matters where a guitar is made makes a difference.

medic24 and rednefceleb like this.
  16. rednefceleb

Thanks. You have guitars there for comparison. When I had a quality collection, I would not have wasted time playing anything that wasn't a good playing friendly guitar. That guitar is now a target.

paruwi likes this.
  17. rednefceleb

I agree. You are totally right. I am 67 so do remember some lame MIJ and MIA guitars. Once I lamely called a known luthier in S.F. and asked him if the neck on my Jimmie V. Strat was a good neck. He said "if you like it, it's good". I mean, how could he have told me?..... he wasn't holding the guitar, I was! He was teaching me to judge for myself. Oh yes, American manufacturers have slipped. They want you to buy an $6000 custom shop piece. They should all be up to custom shop quality. There's a lot of hype in that custom shop stuff.

wildhawk1 and paruwi like this.
  18. rednefceleb

Hey, how does The Epi Goldtop w/p-90's play? That's '56, right? I need a dual P-90 solid Body. Unique; between Strat and L.P. Gilmour plays one sometimes. What tones he can get. I read a story about his pedal board maker. The different colored indicator lights shine up to his knees when he kicks on an effect.

19. rednefceleb

That is 22 years. I have not heard anything but good about this little guitar. Looks good, too.

20. Dolebludger

red, My 09 Epi 56 LP GT P90 Plays well. Mine has a bit too thick neck for me, but other year models have a thinner neck -- or maybe you prefer a thicker neck. I had problems with fret level and pup buzz and had to get some work done -- but that's just my individual guitar. With the work done, it is quite nice.

rednefceleb likes this.