Epiphone SG

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by SlashN'Izzy, Jan 30, 2011.

1. SlashN'Izzy

SlashN'Izzy Senior Member

Any good ideas for Mods on an SG to make it look and sound more Vintage? I am open for anything really.

2. Grey

Grey Senior Member

What does 'vintage' sound like.

3. SlashN'Izzy

That my friend is what Vintage sounds like

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIRsmvpNEvc]YouTube - 1962 Gibson Les Paul SG Standard 01131[/ame]

4. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

PAF style pickups and a vibrato tailpeice will help achieve ^ that sound. Upgraded pots, caps and hardware wouldnt hurt

5. SlashN'Izzy

What kind of caps would I put in that SG?

6. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

Assuming it's a new SG, you can always take some of that gloss off the finish. You can also age the chrome if you like that kind of look. If you like relic guitars then you can put some nicks and dings into it or go all the way and make it look like crap. Some people have even taken chunks of the wood off, I wouldn't even think about that but hey, it's a matter of taste.

All this won't do a thing for tone. I'd start with a change in tuners, they sell the old style ones and look great. If you have 10mm holes then you can buy a coversion kit. I think GFS has both.

You can always change the pickups for a better tone, also the nut. Use a bone nut or a TUSQ nut at least, it'll help with the tuning stability.

For the wiring, you can go with the 50's wiring shown here. I would say this, caps depend on the pickups you get, some are brighter than others and it's all a matter of taste, so shop with your ears. CTS pots and a solid wiring job will help you a lot.

Hope this helps.

7. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I have .018 on the neck and .022 on the bridge for both my SG and LP, and .022 for neck and bridge on my Epiphone V. And I am very happy with those (all my pots and caps come from Jonesy, hes the guy I would talk to)

Cap value is a personal choice, there are alot good brands that will be an improvement from the stock cap. Same with the pots, I have 500k for each control (instead of the 300k's which are what comes stock on Epiphones IIRC) 500k pots wont sound more vintage necessarily, but I think they do give you a bit more tone/output to work with, and is a very good mod on any humbucker equipped guitar

8. SlashN'Izzy

I was also thinking on maybe making it more of a Guitar for Metal and adding in EMG's. and I was thinking 500k Pots :p

9. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

EMG's and 500K pots don't mix, unless you mean the HZ passive variety.

10. william.garcia37

william.garcia37 Member

i play a lil metal and i am happy with my gisbon pups in my sg and upgraded electronics unless your going for death metal.

11. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Sell it and buy a Gibson SG!!! :D

Iceman0124 likes this.
  12. longbow

longbow Senior Member

Upgrade the pickups to PAF style humbuckers, good ones like Gibson etc etc.. Use a good tube amp and you should be good to go. I have found in my search for tone is that the pickups matter as well as amp settings it doesn't seem to matter much about the guitar actually. As long as it is put together well I might add. thanks

13. lpstudiored

lpstudiored Senior Member

talk to member lp+sg=win he knows a lil' sum sum about aging for sg's :naughty:

14. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

My G400 plays as well as my Gibson. The pickups, however, need help; the bridge pickup is microphonic, and the neck muddy. I'll probably redo the wiring one day too.

But woodwise, while it's a five(!)-piece body, it does decently. The neck is great. When I manage my amp right, I can get some clangy Farewell to Kings-era Lifeson tones going. It's a keeper, but will get upgraded before handing down to my son.

15. LesPauI+SG=Win

LesPauI+SG=Win Senior Member

16. lpstudiored

lpstudiored Senior Member