Epiphone RD Lee Malia artisan just had to

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by Rds, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Rds

Rds Senior Member

rd.jpg rd 2.jpg Well just when you think your done buying these things a moment of weekness happens. Ive always like the Gibson Rd. I own a 78 that has been worked on extensively but was the first good guitar I ever bought second hand. Now theyre 2-3k. The reissues aren't the same. Nice but not the same, only 3 buttons. So I see this thing and the more I looked the more I had to do it. What do you guys think? Anyone have one of these? It does have 2 vol 2 tone which I like better than reissue and the pickup switch moved to the top. Hi output bridge pickup. Can't wait to take it for a spin.

2. LSAR

LSAR Premium Member

I have no doubt these are a lot of fun in hand - I haven't come across one yet. I'm a huge RD fan, and nearly ordered one of these but I'm concerned that the position of the switch might be in the way for me, so I wouldn't jump on it without playing one first myself to be sure.

Definitely not the same as an old one, but, still pretty friggin cool.

3. Rds

Rds Senior Member

Hey lsar nice to know there are other Rd fans around. I've owned two. One is the 78 and another was an 82 with a victory neck reversed. Of course Moog electronics. I sold that one. still kicking my own behind about it too. I'll post a pic later.

4. Rds

Rds Senior Member

check these out. really cool guitars IMHO.

Gibson rd custom.JPG Gibson rd standard.JPG

Have FUN likes this.
  5. sasquatch

sasquatch Premium Member

I'm waiting on this but
    Amos Arthur is tempting
    and
    I'm not even what you'd call a V guy.
    But, dang if that pretty thing isn't just sittin' me down
    and calling out for attention just by simply Being there.
    Available. 'What ya gonna do, son?'
    Tempting.

6. misterhatter6

misterhatter6 Senior Member

I'm not a huge RD fan, and I'm even less of a fan of Lee Malia's music, but WOW! If I had that (or any of his other signature models) I'd have a hard time putting it down. Malia knows what looks good, and that could just be the thing to make an RD fan outta me!

7. LSAR

LSAR Premium Member

I think that might be the first I've seen one with the Victory headstock. That's pretty damned sleek. Looking for info on it I can see a few pics of another but that's it...customer order, or something else?

8. Rds

Rds Senior Member

Lsar I'm not sure of how that neck body combo came about. It played great and was ebony fingerboard. I bought it from a pawn shop in early 90's and was told by them it was a " transitional model". And the whole line scrapped shortly after. I've seen only one or two pics myself. Not sought after but extremely rare. Was in a jam and needed money so I sold. Kicking my own ass as I write for sure.

LSAR likes this.
  9. Rds

Rds Senior Member

Hey misterhatter I'm thinking its gonna be great. Kinda taking a chance. Would be my first Epiphone. I'm not a big fan of Malia really. I'm a rocker but somehow I clicked a link to the guitar and learned who he was. I will post my opinion when it gets here. Looking forward to cranking it up.

10. Rds

Rds Senior Member

I just checked out the Amos Arthur V. Man that thing is nice looking.

11. Rds

Rds Senior Member

Well I thought I would give my opinion after playing the Lee Malia RD for few days. My first thoughts are it's a nice guitar but you can definitely tell it's not a Gibson. Still nice. Pros.....nice body, fairly light, very good craftsmanship, your wrist sits right in the perfect spot resting on the body to pick strings. Cool color. The pickups sound good though I like my preferred 489t better.
    Cons......needs a set-up baaaad (to be expected), keys are beyond cheap. The pickups don't set totally level for some reason. Have to pull um and see I guess. So I think it's ok but not quite worth the price of $799.00......$500.00 would be more reasonable.

12. sasquatch

sasquatch Premium Member

Thanks for the honest opinion!
    I've had to skirt all future endeavors for a while anyways
    the Vauxhall is having difficulty again
    (corsa...fiesta...that one)

13. PierM

PierM Black & Gold Premium Member

The main factor affecting the feeling of these Epiphones, are those garbage frets. They are terrible. I keep cleaning, buffing and leveling mine as they do wear and dent like cheese and they have plenty of dull spot. Shitty material. I do play a lot, but really, this is ridicolous. I'm pretty sure these guitar would play and feel totally different with a proper refret with Jescar.

Went to my luthier to ask for a complete fret dress, but he said there is not enough fret to do it properly.... and it's a guitar from 2016. :)

It's a pity, as these are imho great guitars, and I hate they are using fret quality as a cost control.

Will be probably changing frets late this year.

sasquatch likes this.
  14. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

I feel your pain, and I can relate to this.

I love my JB Firebird 1, but for what they charge, yeah the frets can be better.

I don't really like the Alpha 500k linear on the volume, and 500k audio taper pot for the tone. Wonder why they did it like that.

Even the crappy $99.00 SL has the same wrap around tail piece as my FB. For what they charge, they could've went with a Mojo Axe or something better.

I'd still like to rock some SS 6000 jumbos on my FB1, though..........I am not a big fan of the smaller frets. It would be epic then.