Epiphone pickup identification

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by jklinge, Sep 19, 2017.

1. jklinge

jklinge Junior Member

Hi,

After reading good things about the Probucker Epiphone pickups I bought a pair from a Chinese seller. The images in the listing was sort of confusing with some showing two ProBucker pickups and some showing one Alnico Classic PRO and one Probucker. I asked the seller if he could deliver zebra colored pickups with both the neck and bridge pickups being Probuckers. He confirmed he could and I ordered a pair.

Now they have arrived and this is how they look:
    IMG_8106.JPG IMG_8107.JPG

Since there are no product number stickers on the back I find it hard to tell what pickups these really are. I measured the resistance values of the pickups and this is what i found.

(What I guess is the) Neck pickup
    7.76 kOhm (split coils 3.89/3.86 kOhm)

(What I guess is the) Bridge pickup
    8.71 kOhm (split coils 4.48/4.26 kOhm)

I read some posts on forums covering resistance values on Epiphone pickups. Nothing is matching perfectly but the neck seems pretty close to the values for a Alnico Classic PRO neck.

So my questions:
    - are these likely to be genuine?
    - given the resistance values what models is it that I got?

2. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Most probably you got an Anico Classic Pro (7.76K) and a Probucker 3 (8.71).

HTH,

3. jklinge

jklinge Junior Member

I thought the Alnico Classic PRO would be inferior to the Probucker. But after reading opinons (some of them yours :) ) on forums - maybe it is not a bad thing if one is an Alnico Classic Pro!

4. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Alnico classic pro are good but I've tried an SG with the probucker and it sounded very good.

BTW, I thought Ephiphone does not sell pickups individually?

5. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

The Alnico classic PRO and the Probucker 2 and 3 are ALL Probuckers.

It is indeed NOT. I personally prefer the Alnico Classic PRO over the Probucker 2 on the neck position. It's clearer, more articulated and definately less mud-prone. I think the Probucker 2 more as a bridge p'up than a neck p'up. I favor an A3 in the neck rather than the stock A2.

The Probucker 3 is a darker wind, but it works pretty well in the bridge position, specially in Classic Rock music.

HTH,

6. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Thay don't. Hopefully, these come from the actual factory that manufacture'em for Epiphone, but it's essentially an under-the-table, rip-off thing.

HTH,

kiko likes this.
  7. jklinge

jklinge Junior Member

The ones I bought look like they have been taken out of an existing guitar. The plastic covers on the front have clearly been taken off and put back on. And I think that Epiphone has some kind of "quick connect" system on recent guitars, if so these terminals have been cut off as well. But I agree - it's certainly an under-the-table-thing.

Have been looking for these pickups at the second-hand auction sites locally for a while. They have been around for some years so I expected to find lots of people selling them - but to my surprise I didn't find any..