Epiphone masterbilt

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by OHIOSTEVE, Feb 9, 2017.

1. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

I have been playing a Martin Dx1ae and I am really not thrilled with the sound through my mixer. I have an opportunity to get a masterbilt DR 500mce. It is a refurb which does not concern me. My issue with the Martin is the sound, no matter how I set the board it seems muddy and the bass is overpowering. Its not like an unbalanced undersaddle pickup but just BOOMING if I tey to tone it down it just gets muffled not quieter.. . Obviously I will try out the masterbilt but do any of you have any experience? To be honest I think my issue is I watched solo artist a couple weeks back playing a Taylor and I was floored by the crystal clarity of the guitar.

kevinpaul likes this.
  2. shutterbiker

shutterbiker Member

OHIOSTEVE,
    I have the DR-500-mce. I bought it to use in church. I find that the sound is very good. You can balance the undersaddle with the nanomag to get a variety of sounds. My wife won some recording time in a local studio at a charity auction. I took my Epiphone to use. The engineer was quite pleased with the sound running direct from the guitar. Unplugged, the guitar sounds wonderful too. I usually use 12-54 strings and they are great. I tried 13-56 once and the guitar was like a cannon in terms of volume, but I didn't care for the tension of the mediums. I keep thinking of trying some bluegrass strings. Hope this helps!

Steve

3. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

Thanks. Just got back from the store and played several guitars and decided to just stick with the Martin

4. Dun Ringill

Dun Ringill Premium Member

Anything that kept you from the Epi? I've been looking at these and was curious.

Thanks!

5. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

Not really. I was just looking for a tone and to my ears it was no better than the Martin. To be honest I played some sort of Alvarez that blew em both away but I did not like the neck.

6. Caretaker

Caretaker Premium Member

Look into both Blueridge and Yamaha. My 2 favorite acoustic companies.
    I have preferred these over Gibson and Martin for years.

7. Dun Ringill

Fair enough. Just making sure you didn't find some kind of manufacturing issue or something. I had liked the one I had played and may still pursue it at some point soon.

8. shutterbiker

shutterbiker Member

Caretaker is right about Yamaha guitars also. I bought a Yamaha ls6 a couple of years ago so I could have an acoustic with a smaller body. I like it as well as my masterbilt.

9. BrianB

BrianB Senior Member

The GC near me has (had? Haven't been in a while) three of these. Was very impressed by it. Not as pretty as my Takamine G Series (GJ72CE-NAT), but played and sounded on par with it.

10. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

Went back to the shop today to pick up some stuff anx had my wife with me. I played the Masterbilt again and she loved the sound. She claimed it sounded much better than the Martin so i used the last of my store credit and I now own a masterbilt.

11. Dun Ringill

Lol! Congrats! Gotta keep mama happy!

12. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

I have a DR500MCE also. I love it. I use Dean Markley Blue Steel mediums.

13. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

The more I play this the more I like it. I got lucky and scored a high end MARTIN case that fits it perfectly for 10 bucks.

14. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

When I worked at GC back in the day, I sold a couple of boatloads of Masterbilt Epi's.

The customers really liked them for the price point and all solid wood construction.

Of all the Masterbilts I've sold, none were ever returned. They stayed sold, and I'm sure they were played and loved! :)