Epiphone Limited Edition Riviera Custom Pro and cons

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by Davet59, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Davet59

Davet59 Senior Member

Going shopping this weekend and look hard a Riviera. Looking for input on this guitar. Want to pick up a axe with P90's

2. Kong

Kong Senior Member

Hey - I don't know much about the Riviera, but I have an ES-339 P90 pro and I love it. I have been known to mod my guitars, but I didn't change a thing on the 339 and I think the stock pickups sound absolutely killer. The price is right too, they're on sale for $350 at Musicians Friend right now.

The Riviera seems to be a good deal as well, with the 3 pickups, Bigsby and nice inlays for about $200 more. But if you're just looking to scratch the itch for P90s, the 339 is worth checking out. I'm not a trem user myself.

I think the build quality on the Epi semi hollow guitars are excellent - at least the ones I've played. If the P90s are the same ones in the 339 then the Riviera is probably killer.

3. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Riviera is a cool guitar... the only "con" I found when trying to decide whether to get one was the middle pickup. It got in the way of my picking... thus I discovered I really don't like/want a 3-pickup (at least not 3 humbucker or P90) guitar. This also dashed my dreams of owning an Ace Frehley Signature Edition or Budokan LP. Oh well....

4. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

5. Davet59

Davet59 Senior Member

Thanks I have a 339 with the humbuckers and I love that one too. I will check out one with the P90s

6. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

I have have a "Limited Edition Riviera Custom P93 Blue Royale" and am very impressed with it. The quality, pliability, and sound is superb for a semi-hollow body at anything close to that price point. It is atypically bity for a semi-hollow, but not at all too much so. That's just the P90s talking. Has a lot of tone range. If anything, it is maybe a bit too glitzy, but not to the point of looking cheap. Fit and finish is excellent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. GRASS

GRASS Senior Member

I had the same problem, the Riviera doesn't need 3 p90s, anyway I sold mine and was glad to see it go.