Epiphone les paul std. pro new pickups?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Wout, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Wout

Wout Junior Member

Hi,
    I got a epiphone les paul std pro 2016 model with quick connectors in it. I'm thinking about buying new pickups but what options do I have about installing them?
    I could buy quick connect converters from eBay but am I still able to use push pull?
    I could buy new pots but I don't know if the current hole is big enough and i don't know what pots are good and if I need to buy a new 3 way switch.

So if someone knows the answer to my questions I'm happy to hear it.

Edit, What do orange drop capacitors do in a guitar between the pots?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  2. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

Welcome Wout.

The first thing, IMO, I don't think Epiphone actually calls them Quick Connect.

Gibson has Quick Connect. They make aftermarket Gibson pickups with the SAME molex connectors that the Gibson guitar has. Makes for easy swapping of the pickups.

Epiphone on the other hand, just uses molex connectors in the harness. They ARE DIFFERENT than the ones used in the Gibson products. If you intend to purchase these molex connectors from ebay, for your Epiphone, make sure they are the correct ones!!

You will be able to use the push/pull features of your harness if your new pickups have 4 wires instead of two.

When you mention "pods" do you mean "pots" as in Volume and Tone potentiometer? Chances are, you are not going to just replace a pot (pod) with this type of PCB harness. You will probably replace the whole shebang. Tone/Volume pots, wiring, and 3 way switch.

If this becomes the case, Time For Another Thread .

Edit, What do orange drop capacitors do in a guitar between the pods?
    I'll probably get hammered for this one, but pretty much the same thing as these

[​IMG]

or these

[​IMG]

3. Wout

Wout Junior Member

Thanks for your respond, I was thinking about Seymour Duncan alnico II pickups but do I get the best sound with a epiphone connector converter or do you recommend new pots?

4. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

If you can get the actual Epiphone style molex connectors, I'd start with that.
    Once attached to the SD's (with 4 wires), the actual swap should take minutes.

A little while ago, I was looking for the Epiphone pickup molex connectors. I could not identify the actual part in a way that I could order the generic part (cost aprox $2.13). Ebay did have people claiming to have the correct part, but they wanted $29.00. I chose not to go that route.

As mentioned above, I doubt that you would replace a pot in the current PCB Harness. You would replace the entire harness. And if that's the case. I'd skip the expense of the aftermarket molex connectors.