Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro and shrill bridge humbucker

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by davidrf, Jul 6, 2017.

1. davidrf

davidrf Member

Hi there, a friend of mine, total beginner, bought a 2014 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro, all stock. I tried it and I found the bridge pickup is a bit to shrill and "not together" with low to medium gain distorsions... I'm sorry but I don't know how else to describe that sound.

I always had only Gibsons Les Pauls and I never experienced a thing like that. Is it normal for the Epiphone stock pickups? Overall, I find the guitar pretty amazing for its price, but I couldn't play it being used to my Gibsons...

Any advice to replace the bridge pickup with something not expensive but good? A used JB? A used Alnico II Pro? Thanks in advance

2. sasquatch

sasquatch Senior Member

3. davidrf

davidrf Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I actually am not a big expert on Gibson pickups... In my Gibson Standard I have a Craig Vineham custom pickup set, an interpretation of his of some old PAFs. I just would like to find a good inexpensive pickup for this friend of mine, who is gonna play a lot of stuff in that range of distorsion where the Epiphone bridge pickup just doesn't sound right at all (IMO at least). :)

4. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

First thing I would try is adjusting pickup height and, if one string in particular is too loud adjusting the polepieces. Next you could try a 300k volume pot instead of 500k. Maybe a 47nF tone capacitor.

If all that doesn't help, JB/Jazz combination sounds good and isn't expensive

5. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

Look's like you got all the answers here already.

First check the pickup height itself. I had a similar problem myself on my Trad-Pro, and that was the solution. The treble side of the pickup had taken a nose dive. At first I was trying to compensate using the tapped coils. Then someone here recommended I look at the pickup height.

If you still don't bond with it go back to Craig Vineham. Tell him your problem and he will suggest something for you. I just installed as set of his 6070's - - - KILLER sound. Fit the budget too.

6. davidrf

davidrf Member

Now that I think about it, when I first saw the guitar I remember noticing the bridge pickup being a little higher on the high E side, but then it slipped my mind. I don't know why I didn't immediately think about this solution. I will lower it, hoping it will fix the problem.

C_Becker likes this.
  7. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

Burstbuckers to cure shrill? Must be a joke :D

Biddlin likes this.
  8. Dun Ringill

Dun Ringill Premium Member

Have you tried adjusting the amp? I dial in different tones for different guitars.

9. oldfoxy

oldfoxy Junior Member

Dun Ringill, Jymbopalyse and davidrf like this.
  10. davidrf

davidrf Member

Anyway, lowering the bridge pickup didn't totally fix the issue but made the sound better for sure. Now it's way more acceptable.

11. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

Glad to hear you are getting some satisfaction !

Seeing as how adjusting the pickup height did provide some improvement, try adjusting some individual pole pieces as well. Pick individual strings and see if you can find specific offending strings.

Google "adjusting pole pieces on humbucker" for some background on it.

C_Becker likes this.