Epiphone les paul standard plus top pro pickup cover

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Wout, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Wout

Wout Junior Member

Hello guys,

I wanted to remove the pickup cover from the probucker that is inside but could not reach it very good, how do i get the pickup separated from the volume knob cause it isn't soldered. And whats the best way to remove the cover and all the wax that's with it?
    Edit:
    I fixed it. The cover is off thanks for all the help

Regards Wout

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  2. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

I don't think Wout is having a problem removing the cover from the pickup. He's having problems getting the pickup out of the cavity far enough to work on the cover.

If that's the case, follow the wiring from the pickup to the control-cavity. Give the wire a little tug, you'll see which it is.

There is a quick-disconnect. Just unplug that to free the pickup to work on it outside the guitar.

I think.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  3. Wout

Wout Junior Member

Thanks for the reply, i was scared if i pulled that plug i would break it but im gonna try it

4. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

A tip I read for removing the cover... razor blade. Don't use heat to desolder. It works great.

Cut the line as close to the cover as possible, making it easier to slip the cover off (no solder blob on cover to get in your way).

Using a soldering iron for the job sucks. Solder flows back too easily.

Edit: this guy has a good idea to fix my soldering method. I never thought of that!

5. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Different people use different methods to get there.

fumblefinger and Who like this.
  6. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Member

As long as you use a high wattage iron, you should be fine - lower wattage means you have to hold it there longer, hence build up of heat which isn't good for the pickup.

Higher wattage iron melts solder faster, meaning the heat has less time to dissipate throughout the metal cover and pickup Base.