Epiphone Les Paul Special II help

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by strife927, Aug 22, 2013.

1. strife927

strife927 Junior Member

Hello guys, I'm new on this forum and with guitar moddin or whatever you prefer to call it. I have an Epi LP special 2 cheery sunburst and I'm thinking of changing its looks and pickups. Maybe change the knobs and add pickup covers(can't get a new pickup for a while).

Do you guys think this guitar is worth spending money on?
    The closest guitar I could get soon (not really soon, in two years I believe) is an Epi LP 100.

2. adid

adid Junior Member

The LP-100 is nothing but special II made to look like a standard, it has the same pickups and has individual volumes and tone.
    I have a special II which is has modifications like you want, I will post pictures when I get home :)
    Change the Neck p'up if you have money, definitely feels better.

3. tragewombat

tragewombat Senior Member

it depends. If you like it enough to keep it, why not. If you are strapped for cash, putting money in looks does delay a potential upgrade tone/guitar wise. But don't underestimate looks either. A guitar that calls you and you can't help but playing is worth allot.

If you think of selling off/trading in the guitar at some point, you will probably take a hit on the investment though, cosmetic improvements to the guitar will not make it worth much more and even new installed pickups will not increase the value by the cost of the pick-up (you could always put back the originals of course)

1 person likes this.
  4. adid

adid Junior Member

This guy is right^^
    At least save some dough for pickups, you won't regret.

5. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Hi

and Welcome here :wave:

What amp do you play it through ?

You won't hear the $$s you spend much through a shitty cheap amp......:D

2 people like this.
  6. bloodied_fingers

bloodied_fingers Senior Member

this so true and often overlooked.

I agree.

Sounds like you're not buying a new guitar anytime soon so I would do everything you can to make the Special II inspire you. If you don't like the nut, the knobs, uncovered pickups or whatever then change it.

(I would say that covering the pups might be cheaper to wait until you buy replacements and just get them covered at that time)

and welcome

7. stringbender11

stringbender11 Senior Member

There's nothing wrong with the LP specials, they're very nice guitars. People often have the impression that they're no good because they dont cost a lot. Changing the tuners and nut (graphtech preslotted) will make a world of difference. Those are cheap upgrades that are well worth doing, more so even than a PU change, imo. but yeah nothing wrong with putting in a diff PU down the line too.

"You won't hear the $$s you spend much through a shitty cheap amp......:D"

^^I totally agree with that statement. You dont have to spend a fortune on an amp but get something decent, like maybe a used Fender Mustang? The best pickup in the world isnt gonna sound any better than the stock one if you're using a really cheap amp.

Lastly, 'tone' really is 95% in the fingers. Modding for better sound is fine, but a good player playing a bolt-on-neck Epi Special will sound worlds better than a poor player playing a $5K Gibson Custom shop Les Paul.

Personally I'm never impressed with players that are obviously not very good and have expensive rigs. Some of the best players I've met played through nothing special, but I've also met plenty of types who had very pricey rigs but could barely play a few chords.

I know which I'd rather be. :)

8. strife927

strife927 Junior Member

Oh, it makes sense now. I was only aiming for LP-100 since, yeah, it has different tone and volume knobs. Also since it looks like a Standard. Gotcha, I guess I'll aim for something better then:)
    I can't wait to see the pictures!

I had thoughts of selling it or trading it for another guitar, but something in me doesn't want to. It's like my first les paul lol.
    It always call me to play it, but gah, I'm still needing a lot of practice.

I just started trying to learn songs by ear. I did it, kind of, but really inaccurate. I have a cover on YouTube for Nightrain. Do you think maybe its on a difficulty I shouldn't be on just yet?

Aye! Hello :D
    Thank you for the welcoming :)

I use Peavey Vypyr 15. I'd say I'm not that good enough to get a high-end amp just yet. Only been playing electric guitar for about, a year and a half.

You just read my mind D:
    I'm actually thinking of staying with my special 2 for a long time and improve my skills on it. I have friends that have those good, cool guitars but hopefully one day.. one.. day... I can always go and jam with them. I'll take it out the bag and they'll ask me what it is then they'll think I'm probably cheap and a newbie and can't play decently, and woosh! I can play ._.
    Few years from now, I wish. I'm trying my hardest. lol

9. elps2

elps2 Junior Member

I've been playing guitar for 40 years and I recently bought a new Epi Les Paul Special 2 in brown sunburst. It is an amazing product... just a great assembly of low cost materials into a really superb instrument, IMHO. It's a beautifully finished, tonefull, all-mahogany and rosewood guitar for $150 (@ MF or GC). What's not to like?

Mine came stock with great resonance, setup, intonation, sustain, and stays in tune for weeks. (I did have to upgrade the tuners to some GFS 'Grover' style for about $20, because one of mine started to slip).

The ceramic 650R / 700T humbuckers sound really good ( I did adjust the pickup heights and pole piece screws for best balance and tone) .

I like the 2-knob & 1 switch control scheme.... just like the Fender Telecasters that I have been mainly playing. But now I enjoy this LPS2
    a wee bit more than my teles, and I'm flabbergasted! It just plays, feels, and sounds so good....

So yeah, it is a worthy guitar. Set it up for better tone and playability first. Bling does not improve tone!

10. Abhishek

Abhishek Junior Member

Dude. m new to the guitar world my self. nd have a epi special 2 too. i dnt know the reason bt jst dont trade it off... it an awesome piece of guitar and can keep u stuck to it fr days. a lot of my friends here hv expensive ibanese nd LTD's bt at the end wen they want a smooth and beatiful clear tone the come to play my LPS2. nd then in the middle turn up the distortion and make all the neighbours cry. :)

11. strife927

strife927 Junior Member

For some reason I never had an out of tune problem. idk why. Had my guitar for almost a year now.

I kinda like the 2-knob & 1 switch too, but I love playing the bridge with tone knob all the way to 0 and when using the neck pickup I turn the knob all the way to 10, this is probably why I want to get a new guitar with 4-knobs :p

Do you know the sizes for the pickups? I already bought the covers but I wanna make sure what the sizes are for the stock pickups.

It's an awesome guitar isn't it? :D

12. adid

adid Junior Member

Humbuckers are probably in standard size, I brought covers for my new p'ups when stupid gfs sent me uncovered ones, the ones I brought were from a Chinese seller and fit perfectly .

13. strife927

strife927 Junior Member

ah, Idk what the standard size is. I bought 50mm and 52mm pole sizes, and about 69(L) x 38(W) :0
    Do you think it'll fit?

14. stringbender11

stringbender11 Senior Member

More than likely they will fit. I think f-spaced pickups for Fenders use a different spacing, but most that you see for sale are the standard Gibby spacing.

Btw, when i need PU covers I usually peruse eBay and buy a cheap (priced) Epi pickup that has one, you often see them quite cheap. Cheaper than most covers cost if you buy them seperately, and you end up with a PU too.

15. leocuellar

leocuellar Senior Member

I've bought and sold more than 15 Les Pauls in the last three years and have only kept for my "family" three of them, one is a Special II that I bought for $20 bucks being almost trash, I modded everything on it, and now is my number 2, and will I defenitely keep it forever, here's a thread of the whole process with that LP:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/197244-ngd-20-bucks-les-paul-w-pics.html

Special IIs are great, fun guitars, lightweight, and with great capabilities, I would say the stock pickups are a little muddy for my taste, but even a cheap pair of GFS alnico II can make a difference and they are very very cheap.

That's my opinion and my experience...

16. strife927

strife927 Junior Member

Dude, may I please ask how did you paint it white?
    I actually wanted a white one, but it was out of stock at the time. What I have was a birthday gift, can't really delay a gift for about two months so they bought me a different one.
    Please teach me.

17. leocuellar

leocuellar Senior Member

A professional luthier did it for me, don't try to paint it yourself, you will probably ruin it.

18. strife927

strife927 Junior Member

True, how much will it cost though?

19. Omar1991

Omar1991 Member

I still have my Special II, I modded it to basically make an LP junior copy - took out the neck pup and pickup switch, added a scratch plate, replaced the bridge pup with a Tonerider Rebel 90. It sounds brilliant, a real gnarly little punk/rock machine. Definitely a great platform for mods.