Epiphone Les Paul Royale Any thought?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by rallygsc, Oct 26, 2013.

1. rallygsc

rallygsc Senior Member

Hello Fellow Users: :dude:

I recently pulled the trigger on an auction for a Epiphone Les Paul Royale in White.

I jumped on it because of the overall look, the white with the gold transparent pickguard and the gold binding, kinda reminded me of a 50's / early 60's vibe in some aspects.

how are they?, I never had the chance to check one out in person.

I went to the website for the specs and such.

Les Paul Royale

Seems almost like a cross between a custom and a plaintop.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w Hard Case | eBay

I know they changed the knobs on it, no biggy there, I can easily get a set of the reflector knobs.

but I think I did rather well on this one.

just have to wait till it arrives for the fun to begin.

take care
    George

2. fullspectrum

fullspectrum Senior Member

I had one not long ago. It had typical Epiphone good quality. It's a standard with a fancy paint job and binding but it does look cool in person. No coil tapping(never use it anyways).

Pickups sounded alright. Nothing spectacular though. It has a sort of pearl white metallic paint job(very cool in person). I traded it in for something else because of GAS but I had a really hard time parting with it. I even called the store back and said to hold it for me and I was going to come back for it:laugh2:...I never did though. :hmm: I like unique and interesting guitars and this fit the bill. Congrats on your purchase.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. rallygsc

rallygsc Senior Member

Thanks FullSpectrum: I figure at what I got it for, there's enough room in the budget for mods, I usually put USA electronics in all of my Epiphones, it makes a big difference.

it reminds me a of a Gretsch feel with the whole white and gold look.

Much appreciated and thanks for sharing the pic

take care
    George

4. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Member

Congrats!

5. straybeat

straybeat Senior Member

I think it looks cool and different, not garish and gaudy like a lot of guitar trials. I like the gold binding.

6. davies

davies Banned/Not Banned V.I.P. Member

I like the look of the Royale - white and gold is cool. If I ever had one I'd change the pup surrounds and switch tip to white and take off the poker chip.

7. TerryH

TerryH Senior Member

:photos: When it arrives! :D

1 person likes this.
  8. rallygsc

rallygsc Senior Member

Hello Everyone:

cool beans and thanks.

I will take pics when it arrivves and see what mods develop.

I have the CTS 500K pots, braided wire, capacitors, input jack, I need a switchcraft 3 way switch in gold, and then some pickups.

No offense, but I always change out the pickups on my epiphones, unless they had something special from the factory like duncans or gibby pickups.

appearance wise I am gonna try to keep it as close to stock appearance as I can, I have to get the reflector knobs for it, the seller changed them out for white speed knobs.

so now I am in the middle of two projects, LOL the Jay Jay French Les Paul and this one, :)

I will take pics of both guitars before and after.

take care
    and thanks
    George

1 person likes this.
  9. fullspectrum

fullspectrum Senior Member

Here's a few more pics showing the binding and the metallic pearl color...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  10. 56GT

56GT Senior Member

Yeah, me too, and change the cavity covers and jack plate to white also - small detail, but non the less... :)

11. Muttering Bill

Muttering Bill Senior Member

I was considering one of these when I bought my Epi. It looks great in the stock photos, but seeing it in person I didn't really like it that much. Went with the silverburst instead. Hope you're happy with it though.

12. NRVPaul

NRVPaul Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Btp-SKPMQ]Epiphone Les Paul Standard Royale Guitar Demo By Chatreeo - YouTube[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  13. 56GT

56GT Senior Member

14. OverDrivenGtr

OverDrivenGtr Senior Member

That binding is beautiful.

15. rallygsc

rallygsc Senior Member

Hello Everyone:

well I did some senseless spending again, I picked up a set of Gibson Humbuckers with gold covers, 490r and 498T, killer deal on them.

I have never owned a 498T, but from memory it is more or less a 500T with a alnico magnet if I remember correctly.

56GT: as for the cavity covers, I have to find out who can make a set at a reasonable cost, I found cream , brown and black ones that fit epiphones, but no luck on other colors.

a few places I talked to in the past mention a $30 setup fee in most cases to make a custom backplate, this included wd , greasey groove, and allparts.

I got lucky and dodged a bullet on a Japanese Les Paul Custom by Epiphone when the cavity covers were the same size as gibsons.

for now though, I found a set of Gibson black bell knobs in the parts box, so I'll use them for the time being, got a set of CTS pots, switchcraft input jack and 3 way, mallory caps, so a complete rewire is in the works.

Muttering Bill: I like the silver sparkle one too, but this one screams that old 50's gretsch look in some aspects, and for the price, well I am a happy camper.

so when it arrives, before and after pics, and then unload the original wiring harness and pickups to recoup on the spending spree :D

AZ Paul: cool video :)

FullSpectrum: thanks for the pics :)

OverDrivenGtr: the binding was one of the reasons I wanted it, it's different, not the comon cream, black, white or such.

take care everyone

George

16. rallygsc

rallygsc Senior Member

Hello Everyone:

well it's here, and well I have to take better pics.

I was impatient , so I took it apart and upgraded it, but I forgot to take before and after shots of it.

I installed four CTS 500K pots, gold dress washers and gold nuts, kluson gold pointers,
    Gibson gold bell knobs, mallory 150 series .022 capacitors, gotoh gold 3 way switch, switchcraft gold input jack, schaller gold straplocks, Gibson 490R in the neck and a 498T in the bridge.

I had to replace the nut, the nut was f'd up by the previous owner making the grooves deeper.

but it plays nice and it has such great resonance, it weighs 8 pounds 9 ounces.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have to tweak it a bit more, but it's a really nice axe.

take care
    George

1 person likes this.
  17. Bobbyk1978

Bobbyk1978 Senior Member

HNGD, looks great. I really wanted to get one of these at one point but could never find a dealer who had them in stock lol. Anyway with all the upgrades you should have a lot of fun with it. And no worries on replacing the nut, that's usually one of the first things I do on an Epi anyway so it wouldn't have mattered. Really just a beautiful guitar man, enjoy

18. Colquhoun

Colquhoun Senior Member

I love that Epiphone is using reflector knobs more often in their new releases. They look sweet on this guitar!

19. rallygsc

rallygsc Senior Member

Hello Everyone:

thanks, I tried to keep the look as close to the original when I redone all of the electronics and such, they had a nice look going for this guitar, but the USA electronics and the Gibby pickups make a big difference.