Epiphone Les Paul FAQ

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Sinmastah, Jan 25, 2009.

1. chivitajm

chivitajm Senior Member

this has probably already been answered but i cant find it. Why does my used stamped les paul have a sticker with just numbers in place of the serial number. what does it mean.

2. Sinmastah

Sinmastah Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

It's a "used" or "2nd" Just coming out of the factory with a cosmetic blemish. It should play the exact same.

3. chivitajm

chivitajm Senior Member

yeah but why is the serial number different it says 311472925

4. Sinmastah

I dunno, not sure about the serial number for 2nds. I would just peel to sticker off, I did on my G-400

5. chivitajm

chivitajm Senior Member

cool, but i really doubt its fake, ive read the fake thread and everything looks fine, also i bought it at guitar center.

6. Sinmastah

Sorry, didn't mean fakes, I meant 2nd's

7. ToothDecay

ToothDecay Senior Member

Where can I get a setup, and what exactly is action? I know it's a stupid question, but I'm still kinda learning this stuff :/

8. -=[Shifty]=-

-=[Shifty]=- Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

For a setup you should go to a luthier or a good guitar tech. You should ask around if there's a reputable luthier or tech in you area.

The action is the distance between the frets and the strings, usually measured at the 12th fret. The higher the action, the harder to press down the strings.

9. The Laserist

The Laserist Senior Member

I've wondered about that too. I have seen quite a few guitars on the net, some in the used section of guitar center, others on sites that specialize in "B" stock or "2nds". Occasionally the serial number will be etched out altogether. From the research that I've done, i.e. ask questions in these and other forums, I've determined that not only are they the result of a cosmetic flaw or blemish but they are also tagged like that if there was some damage to the store and they were writing off the guitar, they wiped the serial number so somebody couldn't try to get free warrenty work. That's what I found out anyway. BTW I bought a Epi 1275 Doubleneck that had the serial number etched out. The guy I got it from said that he bought it used at guitar center, he had a receipt for it, somebody upgraded the 6 string pick ups and they didn't fit right so they carved up the pick guard to make it work.
    Actually not that noticable, but since I have noticed it, it has started to bug me. Want to put whatever it is that Gibson puts on the Jimmy Page ones.
    The lack of serial number made me nervious but his receipt was legit and it came with a case and damnit I wanted a doubleneck. But not having a serial number means that this one is mine, forever. That's cool, I can live with that.:dude:

10. epifan

epifan Member

Want a cheap trick? Crack open 3 big carpenter pencils($0.30/ea.), grind up the lead, mix with some 3in1 oil($1.99/bottle also good 2 have), mix until smooth(cake batter consistency), put in a small bottle, WHAM!! Big Jim's Nut Sauce. Enough to last years. Go ahead
    and market it, I don't care. Just name it something less disgusting.:slash:

11. epifan

epifan Member

Definitely, a second which just means a finish blemish and a great deal. My father was a painter for GM for 17 years, there is almost always a way to fix blemishes and even damage w/ 2000ish grit sand paper, so good buy dude. I keep my eye open for cheap 2nds.

12. epifan

epifan Member

Regarding the neck: It is fatter but buy the LP and adapt your playing style. It's worth it. Come over to our side man! LP's can not be equaled. Also, save some $$, get the Epi and upgrade all the electronics(including pups) and it sound really close to it's big brother, the Gibby. And don't everybody flip out. I mean it sounds close enough for the money. Save at least $1000, and only pros will know.:slash:

Small-PAul likes this.
  13. epifan

epifan Member

Dude thats wrong, I got an 08' LP and the back is solid mahogany the top is maple with flame veneer. For sure. The new ones are mucho better. I absolutely love it (with new electronics of course!). Buy it, Buy it now.

14. epifan

epifan Member

The factory scratches off the serial # so no shady dealer tries to sell it @ full price

15. epifan

epifan Member

I don't care what anyone else says, the new Epi LP Standards have solid mahogany backs, 2 piece maple top, and a flame maple veneer on top. Dont pay $2500 for a thicker piece of flame maple and some BurstBuckers.

CherryBurstChaser likes this.
  16. epifan

epifan Member

Don't comment on things you can't spell.

17. epifan

epifan Member

TL:trans. blue. TB: trans black

18. epifan

epifan Member

Cool thread, very informative.:slash:

19. Sinmastah

:rolleyes: Sorry I forgot to mention my lack of ability to spell Mahogany means I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about. My bad.

20. PuroRock

PuroRock Senior Member

Pretty darn good, but I would have included images... if it's an FAQ, and you're attempting to educate those who don't know much about guitars, perhaps pics on exactly what a cap or a pot is, etc. If I'm learning and I don't know what to upgrade first, it'd be helpful to get a visual image of what you're talking about and WHY or what a 500k pot will do versus a 250k pot, helps. Gotta treat people like they're complete noobs when writing stuff like this. Eliminate all possible questions as best you can.